Protest to Billygoat: A study in shapes

I've been having the most first-world TGR problem imaginable: Transitioning from Protests to Billygoats is throwing me for a loop. My plan was this: Protests for untracked inbounds pow until 11, then swap out for Billygoats to murder the leftover chop and hunt for stashes

Obviously the goats enjoy having a driver, obviously the protests are more neutral. But it takes me a good 30 minutes after I swap out to not feel like I traded floaty corks for sexy bulldozers. Either by themselves skied all day are absolute beauty, but going from one style to the other is...an adjustment. I even tried moving the protests to -1, no dice. Is the shape difference that significant? Something about pintail lulling you into sweet fluffy complacency? Go to longer Protests (187-->192) for more effective edge? These were my only thoughts.

1. Sell Protest
    2. Buy C&D

I have 192 protest and 186 goat. If I had 187 protest I could see that happening. But both of mine want to run and no issue. All I got

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

First world problem indeed. I would avoid switching midday.

My 196 Protests have such a large sweet spot, I can drive or surf.. really. They do quite will in chop and leftovers.

My current method for my soft snow skis is:
    10” Plus - Protests all day.
    2”-10” - GPOs all day
    Day after Pow day - GPOs all day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I can't decide whether I'm going to drive the Porsche or the Ferrari to work today.

Protest to Billygoat: A study in shapes

It’s a mental thing that only you can fix, Husky.
    I could transfer just fine from Protest to 191 Goats, Protest to 191 Lhasa Fat just fine.
    I actually think the 191 Goat and Protest required a very similar stance, centered with slight cuff pressure. Steer from the center of the foot. Tip them and stand on them.
    Now the Protest to Lhasa is a bit different as the Lhasa will reward you if you drive the tips yet was fine if coming up centered in fresh, smooth snow. I would just remind myself that that ski wanted a kill everything mentality.

I'm one of the outliers who couldn't bond with Protests. After 3 days on 187s, I sold them. I got more float and felt better balanced on my 182 GPOs, 182 Qs, my 184 BGs (15/16 - pre asym), and even my 182 Automatic 109s.

I had serious remorse over selling my 15/16 Billy's (184), but solved that by picking up @lucknau's previous year 186s.

The fact that you're ok with both skis however, suggests that you get to know each ski better - skiing each one for the whole day. Once you get to know each ski better, I suspect mid-day swaps should take 5-7 turns at most to do a mental reset.

Longer Protests? I defer to Protest mavens. Failing that, yeah ... swap out the Protests for C&D's, or just sell the Protests and ski the Billy Goats exclusively. It's not as if you can't ski and enjoy 18" freshies with them.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music