Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

under kneecap pain, solutions?

I've had this knee pain for years, I think it first showed up around highschool, never really got bad, just an occasional small amount of pain that never bothered me. But the last 3 years or so, and especially this past year its getting bad. It feels like its under the knee cap, hard to pin point, maybe a little lower in the knee vs higher, and the more pain I feel the more instable my knee feels, its like most times i feel it, a loss of balance and stability in that leg comes with it, i cant just power through it.
    I do a lot more mountain biking, and my legs in general are a lot stronger, and im in better shape.
    But im wondering if thats part of the problem, im generating a lot more force, and I tend to jump right into charging hard at the beginning of the season where before itd take me a solid month or two before i felt like i had my ski legs back.

I've been doing a lot of stretches, lots of IT band stuff, and it usually does very little, did spend a shit ton of time one night stretching and working on my IT band, and the next day i felt almost no pain. but that lasted for about a day.

Any tips on stretches, exercises, etc to try? or what might be weak/wrong with my knee that needs to be worked on?

I’ve never even seen a Holiday Inn Express, but that sounds a little like patella tendinitis to me.

Wrong forum
    jong.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoova View Post
    I’ve never even seen a Holiday Inn Express, but that sounds a little like patella tendinitis to me.
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night and thought it sounded like patellar tendonitis. Try RICE, and they make a neoprene band/strap that helps with the tendon rubbing, google it.

My education is in finance, so you may prefer a better assessment from a medical professional outside the interwebs.

Wrong forum jong but leg extensions with lite weight is a good excercise for knee pain.

try being less of a pussy

Look up the chain at hip stabilizers and core. Also down the chain, but most times up. Physical therapy is your friend. See several if the first can't fix it.

And where's wong fowum jong?
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Look up the chain at hip stabilizers and core. Also down the chain, but most times up. Physical therapy is your friend. See several if the first can't fix it.

And where's wong fowum jong?
    Fuck that genuine advice bullshit

Slog 'a rye and some strategic duct tape. That'll do'er.

Sounds like patellofemoral pain syndrome. Muscle imbalance is the typical culprit. Foot alignment can contribute as well. PT is the key. Orthotics can help if you overpronate or have flat feet. Leg extensions are NOT your friend.

sounds like its time to change the tampon.

Could be chondromalacia. Could try glucosamine/chondroitin supplements. Maybe look it up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

High dose ibuprofen taken with 1/4 cup kimchi, and 2 cups of milk prior to skiing will do ya.

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    Sounds like patellofemoral pain syndrome. Muscle imbalance is the typical culprit. Foot alignment can contribute as well. PT is the key. Orthotics can help if you overpronate or have flat feet. Leg extensions are NOT your friend.
    This.

Plus warm up slowly, your not young anymore, and you're not getting any younger.

And make sure the saddle on your mountain bike is at proper height. Too low can cause knee pain. Too high can cause hip, core, back, taint, and knee pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

This isn't specific to patellofemoral pain, but I've found that most of my knee woes can be dealt with by following this routine:

1. Warm up slowly
    2. Take MSM/Chondroitin religiously (takes like a month or two to start working, so be patient)
    3. Use a foam roller every night to really stretch things out
    4. Grab some of Splat's CBD cream and use that (in conjunction with the RICE method) when flare ups happen.

Could be chondromalacia. Could try glucosamine/chondroitin supplements. Look it up and see if it describes the symptoms.

Could be inflammation, chondromalacia or patellar malalignment -- or worse. In my case, it was severe patellofemoral OA caused by years with a deformed patella (which, in turn, resulted from an injury), fixed by a total knee replacement with patella button.

The MSM/glucosamine is not going to harm anything but takes time and diligence to work as stated above. Get your stance checked out and go from there.

My knee issues stemmed from an old ACL tear and patellar graft repair. Years later and sum minor tweaks I needed help. Ended up getting PRP that was extremely helpful. Still doing well on it 4 years on but now old age is creeping up on me.

Good luck and report back to share your results.

+1 on the Splat creme
    watch out for snakes

CBD shit is magic

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I can only speak from personal experience but I had similar knee pain and symptoms for years. Tried just about everything mentioned in this thread, they only ever provided temporary relief. Unrelated to my knees I decided one day to start lifting more and devoted 5 solid months to getting a lot stronger one summer/fall. When I got my squat up to 1.5xBW and my deadlift to 2xBW my knee pain disappeared and hasn't returned since. A strong joint is a healthy, stable, happy joint and the "strength" you have from mtn biking is not the type of strength you need for a strong stable joint. If anything the quad-centric activities like mtn biking and downhill skiing are probably creating bigger muscle imbalances that are exacerbating your knee pain. I'm 30lbs heavier than when I started lifting and can still pound bumps all day without any of the knee pain or soreness that I had when I was skinnier and weaker. As always though, YMMV
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    I can only speak from personal experience but I had similar knee pain and symptoms for years. Tried just about everything mentioned in this thread, they only ever provided temporary relief. Unrelated to my knees I decided one day to start lifting more and devoted 5 solid months to getting a lot stronger one summer/fall. When I got my squat up to 1.5xBW and my deadlift to 2xBW my knee pain disappeared and hasn't returned since. A strong joint is a healthy, stable, happy joint and the "strength" you have from mtn biking is not the type of strength you need for a strong stable joint. If anything the quad-centric activities like mtn biking and downhill skiing are probably creating bigger muscle imbalances that are exacerbating your knee pain. I'm 30lbs heavier than when I started lifting and can still pound bumps all day without any of the knee pain or soreness that I had when I was skinnier and weaker. As always though, YMMV
    Big second on this. Great point. I do one legged squats on a squash ball since my doctor pushed them on me with studies to back it up. Strength is your friend.

Jeezuz. One-legged squats on a squash ball. That's a great achievement that will certainly benefit you.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Jeezuz. One-legged squats on a squash ball. That's a great achievement that will certainly benefit you.
    Hmm - I see now that sounds weird. This kind of squash ball (as in a squashed balanced ball):

Name:  8510049L.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  9.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Big second on this. Great point. I do one legged squats on a squash ball since my doctor pushed them on me with studies to back it up. Strength is your friend.
    Ya what was mentioned above is all true. I once believed my legs were super strong because I skied and biked. They are strong sole in those movements, and were incredibly unbalanced. See a physio, get some exercises to strengthen glutes and hamstrings and create a strength balance rather than having your fat pad take a beating cos your knee cap is out of position.

+1 for an analysis of imbalances by a good PT.

For me, my patella pain was due to quad dominance and weak medial glutes.

Obviously, I'm not saying this is your issue, but a trained eye is money well spent, and time saved.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music