Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WTB: Spring Touring Skis

I'm in the market for a pair of lightweight spring touring skis for mixed snow conditions, general touring/steep corn skiing in the Rockies...

Length: around 180
    Width: around 95mm
    With or without decent tech bindings: Dynafits or G3 ions or zeds w/brakes.

Voile Hyper Vector 177cm mounted with Salomon MTN tech bindings/brakes (296mm BSL +/- 15mm)
    130-96-114
    1285g per ski
    Used a total of 5 runs
    $425 for skis, add $325 for bindings/brakes (I also have a set of new Zeds if you'd prefer those)

Thanks for the invite. I probably should put my budget in here too...

I'm looking to spend around $600 or so for a full rig- skins would be a bonus.

Weight-wise, looking for skis around 6 lbs and 1.5 lbs or so for a binding- not an ultra-light rig, but definitely on the light side for long tours.

Skis I'm interested in:
    Blizzard Zero G-95
    Salomon MTN 95
    Voile Vector

Dynastar Mythic, 184, awesome ski I just got a little crazy with stocking up on them. 435 shipped new

WTB: Spring Touring Skis

G3 Carbon district 100? In a 190cm

$125

Sorry man, I blew out my knee years ago on a pair of Dynastars. For me, that brand is forever cursed.

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    Dynastar Mythic, 184, awesome ski I just got a little crazy with stocking up on them. 435 shipped new

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    G3 Carbon district 100? In a 190cm

$125

Thanks, but too fat and too tall.

177 cm Volkl Amaruq - 127/88/109 (Skis long for a 177 - fully cambered), R=22, weight (measured) = 1414g/ski.

Drilled 1X for 7tm tele bindings; skied 1.5 days; minty condition. Just no need for this in the quiver and in hindsight there never was. $170 shipped to CO.

Here's a link to some info - https://www.freeride.com/gear/skis/volkl-amaruq.html - will post or send photos if you're interested.

I think an 88 mm is a great width for spring ski, especially in Colorado.

Yeah, I've been reading up on the Black Diamond Recon 88s- sounds like a great spring ski... If I could find some Helio 95s for a good price I'd be interested in those too....

Keep an eye on Sierra trading Post... They have had good deals on the Helios all season

Helio 95 - 173 length for 399

https://www.sierra.com/black-diamond...prod-prod840RN

They rotate inventory pretty regularly, so you might get lucky and find a longer set

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not in a super hurry to pull the trigger on a new rig but, am keeping an eye out for the right set up. Our season here in the San Juans has been great-with lots of blower pow days in the backcountry.

Skis in the running:
    2020 Blizzard ZeroG 95
    Black Diamond Helio 95
    BD Recon 88
    Voile Vector or Hyper-Vector
    Salomon MTN 95
    Fischer Transalp 90

Anything else I should have on my radar for a versatile, light spring touring ski that can handle steeps, variable snow, and is fun/poppy to ski?

Volkl BMT 94. They don't make it anymore but there's been some used ones floating around from time to time. Wicked versatile, handles pow super well for its width. Does great in variable spring conditions.

i have dynafit beast 98's in a 177cm with st10 rotations w/ brakes and the pomocos with the dynafit attachment...
    800 plus shipping - prob less than 10 days on em. Saturday they and I go back to Euroland.

Add the K2 Wayback 88 and 96 to your list. Both great skis. I have the 96 in a 177, slightly shorter than I'd normally ski, and it works great for mountaineering and even pow.

IDK if they'll ship em, but the gear room in SLC has a set of super nice Helio 88 178 with Helio 145 bindings for $699. They look like they have been barely used

Thanks for the tips- I'd probably be happy with a 95 or around an 88. My main touring skis are 108 in the waist. Pros and cons I guess- a 95 waist would be more versatile, an 88 would have better edging for hard snow and steeps...

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    Thanks for the tips- I'd probably be happy with a 95 or around an 88. My main touring skis are 108 in the waist. Pros and cons I guess- a 95 waist would be more versatile, an 88 would have better edging for hard snow and steeps...
    What are your 108-waisted skis?

My Zero G 108's are my go-to spring touring skis. They're great on steep hard snow AND mushy exits. I bust out my Zero G 85's for long days or when I'll be making tons of kick turns on steep, hard snow.

If your main touring skis are solid on firm snow, I'd go skinny and light on the spring skis to have a dedicated tool in the quiver. Otherwise maybe go a bit wider for dealing with spring glop.

I think edge hold can be more than adequate on wider skis. Ski construction and shape matter more than width (up to a point) when it come to holding an edge on steeps.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I think edge hold can be more than adequate on wider skis. Ski construction and shape matter more than width (up to a point) when it come to holding an edge on steeps.
    Agreed, I like camber for firm snow performance.

I have exactly what you want. 180 Voile Vectors with Dynafit STs. Problem is, I won't ever sell them. Just wanted to say I highly recommend this ski, light enough that I have done spring/summer mountaineering on them with super long approaches comfortably, wide enough to float powder days reasonably well, and I actually ski patrol on mine because they are pretty stable on hard/variable snow.

Yeah, the Voile Vectors would be a contender- or a pair if the Hypervectors-little lighter and sound just as capable.

- Just keeping an eye out for a good deal on a pair...

Quote Originally Posted by hiplainsdrifter View Post
    I have exactly what you want. 180 Voile Vectors with Dynafit STs. Problem is, I won't ever sell them. Just wanted to say I highly recommend this ski, light enough that I have done spring/summer mountaineering on them with super long approaches comfortably, wide enough to float powder days reasonably well, and I actually ski patrol on mine because they are pretty stable on hard/variable snow.

I just had an epiphany about these being spring touring skis and that I don't do spring touring. Price is right. Skied one run.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/....php?p=5871574

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies but, I guess I've grown particular over the years. Money's money and I might have to throw down for new stuff based on what I'm looking for:
    Voile Hypervectors
    Black Diamond Helio 95s
    Black Diamond Helio Recon 88s
    Black Crows Camox

Based on my target choices, anything else I should be looking at...?

Atomic Backland 95's?

Yeah, I'd be interested in a pair of backland 95s for the right price. Atomic makes a great ski.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Atomic Backland 95's?