Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    No problem! The app likes ski instructor turns that use a tall up & down motion. If you keep ur hip LOW - it penalizes the score. Also in really technical SL, the skis start the new turn ahead of the finish of the old & you get demerits for not a full parallel competition. Also if you perform cross under SL or mogul style turns, you score less.

When I see (or hear the chairlift audio) that my performance plummeted, it’s time for a break.

Thanks, got it. Sounds interesting, might make the gaps in storms a bit more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    If you like tech n data yes. There are 2 main downsides to Carv as I see it.

A) it is a behavioral change app & it commands a lot of attention; I would find myself focused on Carv & not the skiing. You can game the system & there is a lot of spam / noise that comes w the data.

B) it really only likes one turn…. You may not ski this way & that’s Okay!
    Appreciate the feedback - I don't think I currently have a ski that would play nicely with what they're looking for. Maybe it'll make more sense when they expand how they measure / assess. Seems cool though!

So .... will it phreak out with free heel bindings???

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    So .... will it phreak out with free heel bindings???
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by jummo View Post
    I played around with one for a bit. It's interesting information, but as others noted, it only understands one type of turns.
    If you ski off piste, it tells you that you suck. If you arc carves on a 15m or so ski, you score big points.
    It also takes up a LOT of room inside your boots and is 1mm higher at the heel than the forefoot which messes with your fore/aft balance if you are the type that pays attention to that angle stuff.
    The advice it gives is good and accurate, but you also find yourself trying to ski to please it and collect higher scores.
    yeah for someone who wanted to try it. I have no room in my boot and no way of making more room.....

The ramp being that off is kinda of silly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    yeah for someone who wanted to try it. I have no room in my boot and no way of making more room.....

The ramp being that off is kinda of silly as well.

They hint at it, but ya really need a dedicated boot. I had to grind the bootboards & create all sorts of space, thus I now have a carv boot.

you can put yer weed in there…

Carv Ski Coaching

It is cool to use with filming for technical analysis, for looking at things like left/right, fore/aft, early edge engagement, etc. we had someone follow with a GoPro and the Bluetooth earpiece and they would say aloud the number that it feeds to match with the video so we could sync the video and data.

But like others pointed out, you really need to use a boot with bootboards that have been “CARVed” out to fit the system. It’s painful and cold otherwise.

CARV app is pestering me to 'refer a friend and they get $75 off. Ends in 4 days'. If anyone interested, use this link:

https://getcarv.com/refer/401556a3-a...ent=sharesheet

I received this for a Christmas gift. 3 days use so far
    First, easy to fit in my boots, just like a 1/8in footbed, I put them in a never noticed a difference in fit.. I've been skiing 45+ yrs, never a lesson, avg 30-40 days @ yr. You can turn it on or off for powder days so relax but for between storms its fun to use.
    After very run you can listen or read reviews and tips while riding the lift, even videos on what you need to work on, instant feed back.
    This is for carving turns, hence the name. My first day was free ski mode to set a baseline which told me my balance needed work. Basically I was too front pressure heavy thru out the turn causing tails to skids on exit...who knew? I spent 2 hr on a balance day, improved my "score" 20% over a 8 run set then I turned it off and free skied. When you do a training day you can pick from a list on the app on what you want to work on, edge angle, balance, etc. Free mode just records everything for later training. It counts turns, Vert Speed Distance time, what chair you rode and trail name. From my little bit of use, just after a few hrs training it did help me carry the info over and I felt better centered on my skis while skiing the trees etc. Ive spent more money on a lot less useful piesec of crap.

Bump. Any updated thoughts on Carv? Clicked on a video of Carv skiing with Ted Ligety and found the data interesting, but not enough to buy it at this point. Plus, watching Ligety ski is always fun.

Curious if any mags have updated thoughts on it.

I don’t know anything about it but they’ve been filming with a group of spannsered skiers here in Aspen over the last few weeks, seems mostly off-piste. So im wondering if they’re tweaking/expanding their offering beyond pretty corduroy feedback

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Iriponsnow has used carve. we talked about it a bit. i was interested in it, but it kinda sounds like it wants you to ski perfect all the time and have consistent turns and pressures. i could see it as a good learning to ski better tool for sure. even if they are working on it for skiing off piste, its still going to be a shit show, unless you have time and desire to lap a trail and learn it to the point of skiing knowing every bump, dip and dive.

If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball
    Dip duck dive dodge duck

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Carv Ski Coaching

I have used the carve system and thought it was dope, BUT…

They stack your foot up in the boot pretty high so if you already have a tight boot it’s gonna hurt. Also they don’t have a sync tool for video matching so what we did was have someone follow with a GoPro and shout the numbers they heard in their earpiece (the camera man had the ear piece). Then we synced the numbers to the video/audio and could watch the data with the video so you could SEE what good/bad was instead of just feeling it.

It’s valuable data/learning for me as an instructor, but due to the discomfort I found them unusable, and was considering grinding down boot boards to have the system set into the board itself, but then I got lazy and didn’t buy them.

But then I saw the atomic Hawx “connected” boot that seemed to provide similar data and tools to carv, but by the time I’d learned of it, they had discontinued it.
    Last edited by Climber Joe; 03-19-2024 at 07:03 AM.

As a former snowboarder, I definitely got a lot out of it the first year I used it. Mainly appreciated getting an automated reminder between runs of the things I hadn’t internalized yet. Way better than looking at old notes from ski lessons.

I don’t pay attention to it if i’m ripping around with a group and jumping off shit. But sometimes it is fun to look at the numbers afterward.

Mainly, I like that it makes groomer skiing more engaging. For example, I’m going on a ski trip with my gf and the snow forecast isn’t great but at least I can look forward to some gamified carving.

I haven’t decided if I’ll renew next year, I got one of their 2 year discount deals around thanksgiving in 2022 and idk if I get the discounted price again or what.

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Bump. Any updated thoughts on Carv? Clicked on a video of Carv skiing with Ted Ligety and found the data interesting, but not enough to buy it at this point. Plus, watching Ligety ski is always fun.

Curious if any mags have updated thoughts on it.

That was very cool to watch.
    My biggest takeaway was how much earlier he got off edge compared to the pro instructor.
    Years ago pepi Steier told me to finish my turns. And yet Ligety never finishes a turn. He’s already floating into the next one.

Not to mention the ridiculous edge angles. Wow.

PS. Ligety giggedty
    . . .

I was skeptical, it got good reviews from skiers I trust.

That said, yeah, it doesn't like the playful, drift it if you can handle it off piste stuff, but if you can carve and make the turn shapes it wants, I'm guessing you can get better at all those other types of turns.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    That said, yeah, it doesn't like the playful, drift it if you can handle it off piste stuff, but if you can carve and make the turn shapes it wants, I'm guessing you can get better at all those other types of turns.
    I found that it doesn't care that much about "pure carving". It cares about high edge angle and a rounded turn shape (and a few other factors), and although all these are kind of blending together to some extend, it didn't seem to care about drifted turn initiation on steeper slopes. This is actually when I get my highest scores...
    SoothSki - Compare measured specs of thousands of skis!