ice fall avy Ouray

The rumors around town are that it was at the Dungeon, south of Ouray and not in the ice park.
    And word is it was a commercial or guided group, and the victim was from somewhere in the PNW.

Total fkn bummer.

I drove 550 about 1:30 yesterday, saw police and search and rescue on the side of the road, assumed a car had gone off the side. Ugh.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    a witty saying proves nothing
    voltaire

wow that is a big piece of ice. I guess nobody was on it. What an unfortunate accident. My thoughts to family and friends.
    off your knees Louie

Final report was posted: https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/a...nv&view=public

I wonder what guiding company it was.

Man, shitty luck on that one. I had a hard time grasping scale, how large was the chunk of ice that came off?

From The Durango Herald:

A 44-year-old Seattle woman was killed Saturday when a falling block of ice caused an avalanche above her on the Dungeon Ice Climbing Route south of Ouray.
    Ouray County Emergency manager Glenn Boyd said Van Le Little was in a party of four with two other student ice climbers and a guide.
    Around 10:30 a.m., she was off to the side taking pictures of the others in the party when a chunk of ice caused a slide of snow and ice to come down on the climbers.
    Little was covered with snow and ice and swept into a creek, Boyd said. The other members of the party were uninjured.
    Boyd characterized it as a small slide, and he said he was unaware of any other avalanche ever occurring on Dungeon Ice Climbing Route. Boyd said he believed this is the first avalanche death in Ouray County this season.
    The route is fairly popular with guides who take students there for classes, he said.
    According to the Colorado Avalanche Information Center, Little was untethered at the time.
    The Dungeon Ice Climbing Route is across the Uncompahgre River from mile maker 89 on U.S. Highway 550.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR-200119626.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	236.1 KB 
ID:	312071
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR