Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Independence Lake (Tahoe) observation, 1/17/20, full burial

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Dam. Good work, staying alive. what with the beacon issues?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Is that lake usually frozen in Mid-January?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Is that lake usually frozen in Mid-January?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Dam. Good work, staying alive. what with the beacon issues?
    They performed a beacon search near the bottom of the debris pile but were not far enough down in the debris to get a signal. They were moving too quickly and believed I was upslope. They then hiked up the slope while performing a beacon search.They had made it about 800' vertical feet up the slide path by then and then began running back down to dig me out.
    A little confusing to me. If they were at the toe moving up, wouldn't they have picked up a signal, especially with multiple people on search?

I read that as they stopped prior to getting to the lower end of deposition?

I read it as remainder of party was in a safe zone to side of path. They then entered debris from side and thought they were in close enough proximity to toe of the slide to eliminate it as a possibility and then headed uphill. Many transceivers have a single transmitting antenna and the distance at which it can be received depends on the orientation when it comes to rest. Familiarity and practice help when the shit hits the fan.
    We're not happy 'til you're not happy.

Statistically, where in the deposition zone is a buried victim most likely to wind up? Or is it completely random?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Statistically, where in the deposition zone is a buried victim most likely to wind up? Or is it completely random?
    The bottom/area with highest deposition.

I'm surprised that nobody (either in this thread or the Tahoe thread) has brought up the absolutely atrocious travel protocol. The drone video of the first two riders clearly shows that, other than the drone, nobody in the party had visual contact with the person skiing. If that first guy had gotten slid, trying to watch the slide on the tiny little drone screen would be the only way to have any idea where the guy got carried. Can't tell exactly where the first two riders grouped up while the third skied, but judging from the size of the terrain and a rough guess from looking at the tracks, I'd say there's nearly zero chance that they had eyes on the third rider, either.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I'm surprised that nobody (either in this thread or the Tahoe thread) has brought up the absolutely atrocious travel protocol. The drone video of the first two riders clearly shows that, other than the drone, nobody in the party had visual contact with the person skiing. If that first guy had gotten slid, trying to watch the slide on the tiny little drone screen would be the only way to have any idea where the guy got carried. Can't tell exactly where the first two riders grouped up while the third skied, but judging from the size of the terrain and a rough guess from looking at the tracks, I'd say there's nearly zero chance that they had eyes on the third rider, either.
    But the drones man!

yea I guess they needed a second drone for the third guy. I had same take as adrenelated. I guess spotting your partners and using safe zones is a thing of the past. Glad this had a good outcome.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I'm surprised that nobody (either in this thread or the Tahoe thread) has brought up the absolutely atrocious travel protocol.
    Compared to the sheer stupidity of trying to ski that line after the storm we had the day before, and the very well publicized shit snow layer it fell on, the details of sight contact kind of pales in comparison....so that might be why.

Props to them for putting it all out there though. That person is right: sheer luck.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 01-20-2020 at 05:17 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Independence Lake (Tahoe) observation, 1/17/20, full burial

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    But the drones man!
    That was a drone? I thought it was a satellite they shot from so fucking high up.

And pretty fucking rude not to use the drone for the avalanche segment

Quote Originally Posted by cmor View Post
    The bottom/area with highest deposition.
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    yea I guess they needed a second drone for the third guy. I had same take as adrenelated. I guess spotting your partners and using safe zones is a thing of the past. Glad this had a good outcome.
    I hope those aren’t things of the past!

There's a third video they didn't share. The original titles of the two shared videos were "X of 3". Curious why the didn't post it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    There's a third video they didn't share. The original titles of the two shared videos were "X of 3". Curious why the didn't post it.
    They probably want to sell the actual avy footage to someone is my guess.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

andrenalated hit the travel protocol failure on the nose.

Was the drone camera a contributor to their wanting to ski the whole line in a shot rather than take up mutually supporting positions in a safe zone leap frog?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

i thought maybe the third skier was flying the drone. I guess there are follow drones so maybe it was filmed and you are correct.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    i thought maybe the third skier was flying the drone. I guess there are follow drones so maybe it was filmed and you are correct.
    Third skier was definitely flying the drone. A little stalking on his youtube channel though, and I think the drone he's using has follow capabilities, so definitely possible the slide was filmed that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Was the drone camera a contributor to their wanting to ski the whole line in a shot rather than take up mutually supporting positions in a safe zone leap frog?
    I almost added something to that effect. Having everyone stand out of the way at the top and riding in one shot definitely makes for sexier footage than using proper travel procedures.

Have to agree with the above statements- I thought the "missing reel" of drone footage was highly suspect. Then remembered driving through town and hearing a local radio ad for a shop in the area doing a "winter edit" film contest, with a "best of" program and winner announced at a showing in Squaw towards the end of the season. $8k in swag to the winner.
    Now if I was gonna bet a parking lot PBR...
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Compared to the sheer stupidity of trying to ski that line after the storm we had the day before, and the very well publicized shit snow layer it fell on, the details of sight contact kind of pales in comparison....so that might be why.

Props to them for putting it all out there though. That person is right: sheer luck.
    This. Talking about their travel protocol is sort of a moot point with how dumb this all was.

I mean, I guess good on them for filing a report but there wasn't much to learn from it.

If the drone was in follow mode, it would be quite the thing if it was hovering above his burial location. New safety device?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I was thinking the same thing.

After I thought about how much $$$ in snow bikes and Drones these guys have and how they seem to have arrived, launched the drone and then just skied the avalanche path with very little in the way of any stability assessment.

I do wonder if in 10 years it will be SOP to have drones following us everywhere in the name of safety.

We made many mistakes yesterday. I know I am alive more from luck than anything else.
    Well at least there is that. Better lucky than dead.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"