Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Have to agree with the above statements- I thought the "missing reel" of drone footage was highly suspect. Then remembered driving through town and hearing a local radio ad for a shop in the area doing a "winter edit" film contest, with a "best of" program and winner announced at a showing in Squaw towards the end of the season. $8k in swag to the winner.
    Now if I was gonna bet a parking lot PBR...
    Or maybe he foundered his line like skier 2 and didn't want anyone else to see it....
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

^heh
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Y’all see the outreach from the press on his YouTube channel? In the comments section.

Regarding analysis of their mistakes and decisions, maybe it’ll be easier to list procedures they did right. Here’s a start:

-one at a time. I’m surprised they did this considering other decisions they made and they were filming and playing with their toys. I mean watching jeremie and Sam ripping huge faces together from an aerial POV is rad...

-Wore transceivers

-Used transceivers to rescue buried person.

-Reported incident to local avi center.

This thread is getting weird.

I have been humping around in the general Tahoe basin since the the 1970's Before most of you fuckers were born.

they have lots of nice toys. got to some A+ terrain. And seemed to manage the risk at a much higher lever than most out there on any given day.

And you nit pick, about something you really know nothing about.

Just say "THANK YOU" And STFU because you don't really know.

FYI
    I wear A beacon. And I ski alone. = Scoop me up in the spring? It's what most of us do.

Disclosure. My leg is so fucked up. I cannot hike anywhere. "But I used too"
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post

I have been humping around in the general Tahoe basin since the the 1970's Before most of you fuckers were born.

they have lots of nice toys. got to some A+ terrain. And seemed to manage the risk at a much higher lever than most out there on any given day.

FYI
    I wear A beacon. And I ski alone. = Scoop me up in the spring? It's what most of us do.

STFUYFM. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    STFUYFM. Thanks.
    I actually agree with glademaster here. When your doing it right yo are not walking 800 vert back up the slope looking for your partner. The importance of spotting on big lines and having a known last seen point is something that should always be done.
    off your knees Louie

Yeah props on posting that on the avy centers website. As well as acknowledging that if things had been a smidge different the poster would have been dead.

FYI

I ski that mountain every winter and see that slope even more times every winter. As do a lot of folks that do snowpack observations and avy forecasts as paid employees.

Deciding to come down it, go straight towards the most wind loaded edge of it, on a day after hours and hours and hours of 100mph+ winds on an icy bed layer that's the worst of the bad since it faces south, was absolutely moronic. And I bet they would tell you the same thing today.

They're the ones that got caught in a big slide on a day rated with a considerable danger rating, after multiple days of the avy center warning about this exact scenario before it happened.
    That slope rips all the time on days that aren't considerable with a very well documented shit layer sitting underneath snow less than 24 hrs fallen. Go hike out there in the summer some time and look at the broken off trees that litter the bottom of that gully.

So I disagree. Some people do know a few things that the party involved might not.

Bodywhomper is right too. Props to them for not hiding with the event. Both can be simultaneously true.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

And seemed to manage the risk at a much higher lever than most out there on any given day.
    I don’t see how they managed any risk. From what I can tell, they were oblivious to the risk.

Heal up, MTT

And seemed to manage the risk at a much higher lever than most out there on any given day.
    What on earth are you talking about here? Uhh... no. Just no.

With the tragedy at Alpine Meadows, it brings to light how uncertain and sometimes down to 'luck of the draw' it all can be. I'm glad these guys are OK after this and hope many others will learn from this 'event' because they did report it. It sounds like the Sierras are getting unusually touchy conditions which is more normal in the San Juans. Be careful out there.

The drone imagery is interesting but it'll get real old if everyone starts flying these things in the backcountry and basically everywhere else.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I don’t see how they managed any risk. From what I can tell, they were oblivious to the risk.

Heal up, MTT
    To be fair the first two weren't standing right in the middle of the gully dropping m-80s on the snow, and with their pants down mooning the third guy.

I mean it could have been worse.

In all seriousness though, I'd be curious to ask one of them what they were thinking going down a south aspect. If the fact that it faces south had anything to do with it or just coincidence because that's the longest sustained pitch back there.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    The drone imagery is interesting but it'll get real old if everyone starts flying these things in the backcountry and basically everywhere else.
    I think that would take a long time or legislation. Look how much gopro footage is still being produced.

It's fine to talk about what they did right. But we also talk about what mistakes they made. We should always look at accidents with the mindset of "what can I learn here? how do I not end up like that? what kept it from being worse?"

1 by 1
    True safe zone (just not one that was mutually supporting)
    Gear
    Good Reporting (and a pretty good mea culpa in the writeup)

I think it's notable that us folks who aren't from the zone picked up on the travel protocol failures while the people from the zone who knew the conditions picked up on the poor terrain choice given the a snowpack problem at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I can’t stand encountering the recreational use of drones in the backcountry.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    To be fair the first two weren't standing right in the middle of the gully dropping m-80s on the snow, and with their pants down mooning the third guy.

In all seriousness though, I'd be curious to ask one of them what they were thinking going down a south aspect. If the fact that it faces south had anything to do with it or just coincidence because that's the longest sustained pitch back there.
    I think I missed the part about where the two were standing relative to the avi path.

The lack of additional info in their SAC reporting makes me think that they did not make any assessments of the risk or hazard prior to dropping in. I would like to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I think I missed the part about where the two were standing relative to the avi path.

The lack of additional info in their SAC reporting makes me think that they did not make any assessments of the risk or hazard prior to dropping in. I would like to be wrong.
    Does seem conspicuously absent. They probably are well aware, even if only after the fact that it was a bit of a derp derp (to use a technical term).

I'm just glad they lived to tell the tale.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post

While the overall aspect of the area has a southern facing orientation the aspect that slid faces ENE. south was the only aspect that was left out of the avy report for that day related to the jan 4 crust. It's more than likely had they stayed on the more south facing slopes they would have been okay.
    The Jan 4 crust/facet weak layer exists near treeline and below treeline on NW-N-NE-E aspects. In most below treeline locations, it is found 4 to 6 inches below the old/new snow interface. In some near treeline locations, it is found deeper under older wind drifted snow.

Also, this pic pretty much matches exactly what SAC said above. The storm and wind deposited snow. Then the 4-6" of old snow. Then the rain crust. And a guy standing below hangfire.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Have to agree with the above statements- I thought the "missing reel" of drone footage was highly suspect. Then remembered driving through town and hearing a local radio ad for a shop in the area doing a "winter edit" film contest, with a "best of" program and winner announced at a showing in Squaw towards the end of the season. $8k in swag to the winner.
    Now if I was gonna bet a parking lot PBR...
    It looked to me like the third skier/victim was the drone pilot. He filmed his friends and then recovered the drone before his descent.

also weird there are no pics from the burial area/depo zone for folks with the technology and the mindset to want to use it to document everything. It does seem like someone is selling something
    Last edited by powdork; 01-22-2020 at 12:48 AM.

I really just wanted to know how they got back to the Expensive Snow Bikes? Were there others involved to shuttle them back up the mountain?
    They rode to the top using another approach, Then planed to ski down and then skin back up?

I was a bit confused. Am a bit confused.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I really just wanted to know how they got back to the Expensive Snow Bikes? Were there others involved to shuttle them back up the mountain?
    They rode to the top using another approach, Then planed to ski down and then skin back up?

I was a bit confused. Am a bit confused.
    they e-skinned up with drone assist. duh.

Probably not the place...But can we talk about the beater ass line skier #2 took?? I thought he was gonna full send then bitched out.

He probably thought, “hell no, I don’t want to trigger an avalanche on impact.”

More benefit of the doubt that doesn’t answer most questions, they may have not seen the SAC forecast because they were already out of range when it was issued. That’s pretty normal for dawn patrols.