Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Hey, what existing B.C. resort would be a pseudo proximation to the Valemount project? Maybe Panorama? What supports that hill/resort?

- seems kinda out of the way
    - lots of other great hills enroute from any direction to filter and screen either car or air based skier traffic
    - doesn't seem to get much snow
    Last edited by swissiphic; 01-24-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

I too am rooting for the project. It would be great to have another resort up north. There's a difference between what you want and what is realistic however.

Yah well my dick is bigger then a bridge, your dick look like a little kids,

How does Marmot Basin or Powder King stay in business? We are in the age of adventure tourism and real estate. I have lived throughout BC and people are coming from everywhere in droves in all seasons. Hype and marketing. You have little faith in how far people are willing to travel to a ski resort with repute... but why else would we get the droves from Calgary, Vancouver and the border states who have half a dozen ski resorts far closer to them... The drive from Calgary toRrevelstoke or Vancouver to revelstoke is a nightmare in the winter yet people are still willing to drive here and skip resorts coming from both directions... Panorama also stays in business when Kimberly, Fernie, Kicking Horse, Lake Louise and Sunshine are all closer to the masses and all get more snow...

The area does draw quite skiers through snow mobilling, crystal ridge, cat and heliski operations

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Yeah absolutely. The OP is on glue. Thanks for posting this guys, saved me a shit ton of key strokes. I'll only add that in accessing this proposed resort from fucking anywhere, you drive by other decent ski areas (scads of them coming from Vancouver, shit tons from Calgary, and Jasper from Edmonton (which can hardly be described as having a large ski population anyway).

I know swissiphic wants it to happen (for his own greedy purposes of skiing big summer lines that aren't a 6 hour approach) but he also at least sees the absolute madness in attempting a construct a large (financially viable) ski resort there. I think this Kulharin dude is just Oberti's alias here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    Fuck, you got me there. Strong comeback post.

Jong.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Hey, what existing B.C. resort would be a pseudo proximation to the Valemount project? Maybe Panorama? What supports that hill/resort?

- seems kinda out of the way
    - lots of other great hills enroute from any direction to filter and screen either car or air based skier traffic
    - doesn't seem to get much snow
    Pano/Invermere/Columbia Valley: Developed ski hill infrastructure since the 70's (4 season resort from the get go), developed holiday recreation infrastructure since the 1900's, people going to that area to recreate for 100 years, proximity to 2 popular hot springs and 25 golf courses, large vacation condo and property sales to high income folks from Calgary for 75 years. Well buddy, there's a start.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Pano/Invermere/Columbia Valley: Developed ski hill infrastructure since the 70's (4 season resort from the get go), developed holiday recreation infrastructure since the 1900's, people going to that area to recreate for 100 years, proximity to 2 popular hot springs and 25 golf courses, large vacation condo and property sales to high income folks from Calgary for 75 years. Well buddy, there's a start.
    Ah, gotcha. Had no clue.
    Master of mediocrity.

The resort has done a pretty good job at marketing to the Euro crowd. Ski racing also keeps it busy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

couple of my buddies go there every year to work the big race in december
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Okay, based on the new Pano info...i'm rethinking viability of Valemount...have 2.5 hours of driving to stewart to formulate some ideas...
    Master of mediocrity.

Pano runs at 50% lodging or less occupancy during weekdays except for Christmas. Today there are no lift lines and parkades with parking stalls empty.
    Early season race training is a cash cow for the resort, Alpine Canada has invested heavily in the snow making system too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jumbo dead, good for Valemount?

Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post

How does .....or Powder King stay in business? ...
    The rumor back in the day was drugs, and the laundering the gains therefrom. Or maybe that was Tabor - hard to keep the gossip straight.

Most likely it was from working very, very hard to not spend a dime you don’t have to. Not exactly the recipe for drawing I hoards from afar - ask the folks that tried to develop HBM.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

The Tabor lodge burned to the ground, we flew over it coming out of Dezaiko lodge the next weekend, never heard anything about drug money from people i know in PG

PK is 1/2 way between PG and the Peace region so they got people coming 2 1/2 hrs from both directions, and there would have been good money coming over from the peace at least when oil was 100$ a barrel. The guy who used to own PK never did any maintenance, he was a logger/sled head who was not above banning whomever he pleased or taking a poke at someone he didnt like, he had to sell out or go under about 15 yrs ago is what I remember. This last operator seems pretty good, I seen a lot of improvments at PK last time I was up there

the maintenance guy who was at PK is now up at HBM, that tall skinny maintenance guy you might see wandering around covered in grease, seems to have his shit together

I think the reality is not too many people up here have the money to thro at a ski cabin, HBM were hoping to sell 2 phases but 10 yrs later they got maybe 1/4 of the lots sold
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know