Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    For the most part, I don't question anything that the patrol at Alpine does. I'd say if anything they are on the more conservative side, but obviously if there is any doubt whatsoever it's better to keep stuff closed. The only thing I have ever questioned is how Beaver and Estelle could be closed because of avalanche concerns, yet low Beaver traverse can be open, allowing people to ski right under and across many avalanche paths. Twice I've set off slides in bounds that could have seriously injured someone had they been directly below (years ago), but I know that avalanche control (or mitigation) is an inexact science. There is no way that they can get to every single little pocket that could possibly avalanche, and sometime, such as yesterday, things get bombed (sometimes more than once) and still don't move.
    I was at Alpine yesterday and was surprised to see relatively little slide activity from AC in the morning. I was in the area of the avalanche at around the time it happened, and was kicking off little slabs. It just felt like the snow was not adhering to the ice at all, and I was definitely mindful of the possibility of getting flushed over a cliff or into some trees or rocks. But it was controlled and people were all over it for a while before those guys hit just the wrong spot, and got pushed into the wrong area. So it does seem like a fluke thing, I'm sure patrollers are feeling awful about it, but not sure what they could have done different.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    For the most part, I don't question anything that the patrol at Alpine does. I'd say if anything they are on the more conservative side, but obviously if there is any doubt whatsoever it's better to keep stuff closed. The only thing I have ever questioned is how Beaver and Estelle could be closed because of avalanche concerns, yet low Beaver traverse can be open, allowing people to ski right under and across many avalanche paths. Twice I've set off slides in bounds that could have seriously injured someone had they been directly below (years ago), but I know that avalanche control (or mitigation) is an inexact science. There is no way that they can get to every single little pocket that could possibly avalanche, and sometime, such as yesterday, things get bombed (sometimes more than once) and still don't move.
    I was at Alpine yesterday and was surprised to see relatively little slide activity from AC in the morning. I was in the area of the avalanche at around the time it happened, and was kicking off little slabs. It just felt like the snow was not adhering to the ice at all, and I was definitely mindful of the possibility of getting flushed over a cliff or into some trees or rocks. But it was controlled and people were all over it for a while before those guys hit just the wrong spot, and got pushed into the wrong area. So it does seem like a fluke thing, I'm sure patrollers are feeling awful about it, but not sure what they could have done different.
    I've wondered the same thing about Low Beaver. Although sometimes High Beaver and beyond are closed not for avalanche risk but because the hike is too icy. I've seen patrol back there chopping a path with axes. Most of the time the closure is for snow safety.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    OG-
    MTT- your photo is a good example of the terrain in the area. The slide area is on the map as "Subway Cirque" and is more of a face than a chute. It's immediately below the rock face lookers right of Promised Land. It had 2 shot holes in it yesterday morning.
    The slide was not in Subway Cirque and I'm not sure MTT's photo is correct. The slide was in Crag Chute (on the patrol map), which is also called Townsends by patrol. Crag Chute has more of a terrain trap at he bottom with both a rock band and a lot more trees that demand a left turn on exiting the chute (unless there is a big snow year to cover the rock band).

That chute gets bombed regularly. I've skied around multiple bomb holes in their. It had been bombed that morning but did not release. But that ice layer was real. There were a couple of smaller snowfalls the week before and no snow stuck to the ice in either of those events.

There was incredible pressure on all slopes that morning, with parking lots full by 930. It seemed like people were being pretty aggressive to get to visible powder lines before anyone else got there.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    T It seemed like people were being pretty aggressive to get to visible powder lines before anyone else got there.
    What does this mean? What did the people do that was aggressive? What are "visible powder lines"?

Quote Originally Posted by dump View Post
    What does this mean? What did the people do that was aggressive? What are "visible powder lines"?
    You would just have to be there. It's just not like it used to be.
    There was a time not so long ago. when you showed up dropped your skis in the lineup. and went inside for a coffee and a Doughnut. 30 minuets before loading time everyone walked out of the warm and stepped in. Everyone was nice.

It's not like that anymore.

It's aggressive and Ugly. From the time they get past Auburn heading up 80 to the hotel, 89, parking, in the lift line. and down the hill. Self entitled RAGE.

I disengaged from it 10 years ago.

I have been bumped, pushed, had my skis stomped on, Snaked while lining up a sketchy drop.

It's the people, and many are not cool.

I ski with a loaded 45 under my jacket. "And generally feel the need too"

After 55 years in the same places. I do not recognize it anymore.

These aggressive fuckers will run over your children and call them !@#$ as they ski by.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Sig worthy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Sig worthy, too.
    Full disclosure, You understand I am not kidding Right?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

There was a time not so long ago. when you showed up dropped your skis in the lineup. and went inside for a coffee and a Doughnut. 30 minuets before loading time everyone walked out of the warm and stepped in. Everyone was nice.

It's aggressive and Ugly. From the time they get past Auburn heading up 80 to the hotel, 89, parking, in the lift line. and down the hill. Self entitled RAGE.

I have been bumped, pushed, had my skis stomped on, Snaked while lining up a sketchy drop.

These aggressive fuckers will run over your children and call them !@#$ as they ski by.
    FEPPS (future evidence post preservation service)

That's ridiculous.

It's like that everywhere and takes away the fun. Powder days and rope drops are where people get in touch with their inner asshole. En mass, it all happens fast and it's easy to see how not pausing to consider potential risks is last on the list.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Damn, that sucks

WTF? Like seriously - W.T.F. dude.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    WTF? Like seriously - W.T.F. dude.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. However, I would bet that he isn't the only mag who regularly packs heat at the hill. Welcome to 21st century America.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself. However, I would bet that he isn't the only mag who regularly packs heat at the hill. Welcome to 21st century America.
    May God have mercy on our souls.....
    Just kidding, I'm atheist as fuck but, shit oh dear that's disturbing.

Avalanche at Alpine Meadows

I ski Alpine regularly... I’m here right now in fact. Caught third or fourth chair on Summit this morning for a mini pow day. It was mellow, everyone was polite. I didn’t have to strangle any bitches trying to snake my spot in line and somehow survived despite leaving my piece at home.

Is this real life?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

You packin heat?

What in the actual fuck. A thread drift from an avalanche death to carrying a gun while you ski because somebody might snake your line?
    Dude needs help. Professional help.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Seriously. Squaw can get a little agro (even that is way overplayed) but Alpine is still pretty chill for the most part... plenty of tele skiers abound, and of course safety meetings as well. No firearms necessary.

45 seems like overkill. Unless your in bear country.
    9mm should be enough for a powder day lift line.
    And not be as noticeable when you’re hucking stuff
    . . .

I fully believed you. I was just commenting on your inability to spell.

FFS.

You're really going to shoot someone over a skiing upset?

Biggest case of small dick syndrome ever on the TRG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

These aggressive fuckers will run over their own children and call them !@#$ as they ski by.
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    FFS.

You're really going to shoot someone over a skiing upset?

Biggest case of small dick syndrome ever on the TRG.
    Of course not!. And really half of it would be because I don'r want to leave it in the car.

And then there is California, can't ski there. I don't own any guns with magazines that only hold 10 rounds.
    = I just go nekkid when I put in an appearance at Homewood or Mammoth.

Youes guys. are fun to play with. I knew the dumb ass from Jersey would come on hard. = Your whats wrong with Nevada
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

It's not anywhere near as bad as MTT says. Remember, he disengaged 10 years ago.
    We are, at heart, powdermaggots, and devouring powder lines is what we do. Aggressively. If someone snakes you while you're 'lining up a drop' that just means they're a better skier than you. It means he or she had to avoid you while trying to ski their line fluidly. It's a reason to try harder next time, not a reason to shoot them.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

That’s MAGA AF