Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Avalanche at Alpine Meadows

This just popped up on my phone and I didn't see any threads yet. Doesn't sound good. Tweet from Sheriff says several unaccounted victims.

https://weather.com/news/news/2020-0...rnia-avalanche

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    This just popped up on my phone and I didn't see any threads yet. Doesn't sound good. Tweet from Sheriff says several unaccounted victims.

https://weather.com/news/news/2020-0...rnia-avalanche
    just saw this as well. wow, inbounds on a blue run

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    Any idea who the victims are? Customers, patrol, etc.? I’m about to head there to ski w a good buddy that’s a patroller. He hasn’t responded to a text yet but I’m sure he’s working double time right now.

Subway is a green run, but under a lot of big steep stuff (lower 40, subway cirque, promised land). I’ve only skied there a few times so someone local would know more. Damn, hope this isn’t my buddy. Even if he’s safe, it’s gonna be tough times.
    Sounds like this is unfolding as we speak. I'm sure they are neck deep in rescue mode.

damn, was wondering why they shut down Scott right after I got off it. weird day out there for sure.

https://squawalpine.com/explore/blog...anuary-17-2020

https://twitter.com/PlacerSheriff

Resort and sheriff both confirming search is complete with one deceased and one seriously injured.

Fuck!
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Damn. 🤞

Fuck. That’s rough.

Really sucks. When I skied there, all those lines looker's left of Scott was where I spent most of my time. Must've been that big apron looker's left of Subway.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

It was the chute to the skier's left of promised land. One of my favorites to ski.

2 feet of blower on top of a shitty layer. In the Tahoe thread we were discussing in advance that it would be a good idea to wear your beacon inbounds today. Ugh.

I saw lots of slides--I assume control slides--on the slopes above Alpine Meadows Rd, the bowls north of Summit, and on South Face of Sherwood (both gullies slid top to bottom). Still hard ice exposed in wind swept areas, otherwise that ice is under a couple feet of snow, or more. The hike to bowls were all closed today, but the slope where the slide occurred was open.

Avalanche at Alpine Meadows

The hikes opened briefly and were shut down immediately when the avy occurred. People were still traversing waaaaaay out vía lower beav later in the day despite what occurred earlier

My buddy heads up patrol at Alpine, sending positive thoughts to his crew as well as the victims. Bummer deal.

Sucks, sad to hear. Sorry to friends and family of the victims. Positive vibes to everyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    The hikes opened briefly and were shut down immediately when the avy occurred. People were still traversing waaaaaay out vía lower beav later in the day despite what occurred earlier
    thanks. It did seem like too many tracks for just patrol

My kid was up in Tahoe today. Bit unnerving until we heard from him. Ended up he was next door at squaw.

RIP.

Vibes

This kind of shit drives me nuts.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...eXLGUhSgcofOWw

I don't expect non-skiers to know everything about a ski area but this slide was entirely in bounds, easily accessed from a lift, and had nothing to do with anything backcountry, sidecountry, anything 'coming into the resort' or anything other than 'patrolled terrain in an open ski area.'

If this is where I think it is, in the 15 years I skied there, I'm not sure I ever saw patrol bomb specifically in that spot just given the complex terrain. I'm going to assume it was only ski cut at best. It's a tough one. Small town guy too, that's going to be a lot of friends and family.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I don't see your beef. Seems pretty straightforward except for the "slammed down" descriptor.

the avalanche happened around 10 a.m. within an open area of the resort

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I don't see your beef. Seems pretty straightforward except for the "slammed down" descriptor.
    You definitely caught it. Descriptions of the terrain are all over the place regarding in vs. out of bounds. The only reason I'm confident that it's only one of them is that I know the area.
    The slide did not 'thunder into.'

It occurred, started and was contained within.

There's also a video with a sheriff saying that people need to be careful venturing in the backcountry regarding the incident, and that this was not the backcountry (at least he got that part).

Slides really do thunder 'into' on ski areas on volcanos where the things start outside of the resort. This isn't that.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I still don't see how you think in any way that any reporting that I've seen has not been completely transparent that this was in bounds open terrain.

Trust me, I hate poor reporting, but this seems pretty clear cut. I didn't notice any comparisons to bc or sc.

This drove me nuts today:

https://www.crookstontimes.com/news/...iling-in-idaho

His riding partner was able to escape and later was able to find Rongen buried in the snow with the help of Rongen’s transponder.

The placer sheriff video in the piece is where he both mentions bc and inbounds.

My gripe is mostly with the headline. It makes it sound like the avalanche was some force external to the ski area. It's okay, I'll get over it.

Transponders. All the rage.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Transponders. All the rage.
    pm puregravity

I hope people think of this slide the next time they're thinking of calling out patrol for not having everything open.

In the Tahoe thread Westcoaster describes a PC slide with no burial at Squaw today.

His wife was at the Ski area but on a different run. The guy in the Hospital was a buddy.

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/l...fdFzIdkVZfMu6E
    Own your fail. ~Jer~