M5, Masterblaster, or Commander 98

I'm looking for ski recommendations in the 95-98mm width range, and I'd welcome your feedback.

A little about me. I'm 38, with 34 years of skiing experience. I'm 6' tall and weigh 190 lbs. I ski in Tahoe (Kirkwood and Heavenly), and I'm looking for a ski to handle the typical firm snow conditions that Tahoe had before the 1/16/20 storm. I generally ski in the 25-40 mph range, include a variety of turn shapes, and ski the whole mountain: bumps, groomers/hard pack, crud, etc. Current quiver is the 18/19 Commander 108 @ 188cm (feels long; a lot of ski to get through big icy bumps) and the 19/20 Commander 116 @ 184cm.

I'd like a ski that's quick, yet stable, great edge, and that can pivot/snake through bumps. I've identified the three potential choices in the subject, and welcome any feedback or other suggestions.

I got a pair of 187 MBs this season looking for something similar, and so far I'm really happy with them, after 6 or 7 days on them. I'm recovering from a knee injury and not at full charge yet unfortunately, but they're a really good blend of damp, stable, and pivoty. Definitely not the strongest edge hold in the class (but that's largely in conflict with the pivoty part, and they strike a balance that I like). I haven't skied the other two though so I can't really help on comparisons.

I'm 6', 165-170, and ski in the PNW.

Down SD95!

Can only comment on the Masterblasters - I had the 181 out east and am around your size and use profile. I found them incredibly easy to use and very damp. If you think of them overall as being slightly heavier, less traditional Nordica Enforcers I think you’d be close to correct about how they ski.

I’d tend to guess they are the “easiest” of the skis you listed and least stable. I passed mine along because I was looking for more ski in a possibly less user friendly package.

Mantra M5 has been surprisingly hard to find a demo of in an appropriate size for me. I’m pretty excited about the 102 for the use case you’re describing fwiw. I think it’s dramatically more traditional and locked in feeling with a way further back mount point though.

You have infinitely more experience with the Commander line than I do, but I’d guess it’s in the middle of the J ski and Mantra on pivots vs. edge hold and centered versus traditional stance. Do you like the 118 and 108 and think a narrower version would do what you want here? What do you think of the 118 by the way?

I was in the same market. I've skied the Mantra and the Commander 98, but not the Masterblaster.

Mantra was a great ski, but not as playful as I like. Commander is lighter than both the other skis and you will feel it.

I ended up loving the Mindbender 99 Ti, and think it should be added to your list. Good balance of speed, playfulness and stability.

I’m about to cut some CMD98’z loose to make room in the quiver.

PM if interested.

I’ve got some undrilled 18/19 178cm Commander 98s if you’re interested. I haven’t skied them but I’ve got buddies who seem to really like them for low tide usage.

Thanks for the info! Sent messages to MegaStoke and Iripon.