Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to Stay in Denver?

Got one night in Denver in a couple weeks returning from a ski trip. Any recommendations on where to stay? It will be a Saturday night. Three guys, so probably looking at a suite/apartment. Last year we stayed at a place off I-25 near the Tech Center. It was convenient to the light rail station, but it took a while to get to downtown from there, so I'm thinking it would be better to stay somewhere a little closer to downtown, or at least somewhere with some nightlife nearby.

Oxford is super nice, across the street from Union Station, surrounded by restaurants/drinks and has one of the coolest bars you'll find.

Thanks, but looks like The Oxford doesn't really have a suitable room. Last year we came in on the train and walked down the 16th Street Mall. I was somewhat unimpressed by that area. Seemed like a lot of chain shit.

How about the area on Speer, just west of 25? I see a cluster of the generic mid-range hotels like the Hampton, etc. We're only going to be there for a few hours, really, so the hotel certainly doesn't need to be fancy. Just a place to flop.

When you say nightlife, what specifically are you looking for? The biggest nightlife scene is LoDo (not 16th St specifically), but it's just that, a scene. There are a ton of smaller pockets scattered throughout the city with different flavors depending on what you're looking for.

Can't tell you anything about the hotels at Speer & I-25 but there's definitely lots of options within walking distance of there. I'm somewhat biased towards that area as I used to work at Wilderness Exchange and spent a lot of time in that area, but it's not a bad place to hang for an evening.

Just book a hotel room downtown wherever you can get a reasonable rate. It's not a very large downtown area so once you're there it should be easy to find suitable entertainment in close enough proximity. No need to overthink this one and look at the Highlands or south Broadway or whatever. There's plenty of non chain shit off the mall to occupy your crew for a night once you're down there.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Well theres yer problem right there...16th st mall.

Stick closer to Union Station and to the NW/N/NE. NW of there is the Lower highlands area and NE is Rino. Both great spots for food and drink. Just avoid going south on the mall downtown. Garbage. Although there are some gems off the mall.

Speer and 25 would be quite convenient for the Lower highlands area and the Highlands. Lohi is more fun imho.

And you say you want to be downtown, but not near the 16th St mall? Those two things are very close together.

What is your transportation like?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    When you say nightlife, what specifically are you looking for?
    Bars that aren't too loud, maybe with pool and/or pinball, etc.

We've got a rental car, but don't want to use it once we're checked in. I mentioned 16th Street just to say I wasn't terribly impressed with that area. Really looking for an area with good walking options for food and drink. I probably should have said "central" rather than downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Bars that aren't too loud, maybe with pool and/or pinball, etc.
    On a Saturday night all the bars will be loud, especially downtown.

The pool/pinball/dive bar scene is more found on Colfax than downtown although I'm sure there's several spots downtown I don't know about. Colfax is also where all the motels you don't want to stay in will be found. The one place I do know in LoDo is One Up, which has like every pinball and arcade game ever created, but it's a shitshow on Friday/Saturday nights.

This is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. It's difficult to get any kind of feeling for what an area is really like from looking at Google Maps!

I don't think general bar loudness is a problem. I just wouldn't rather not be in a place blasting loud music.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Really looking for an area with good walking options for food and drink. I probably should have said "central" rather than downtown.
    Then either stay at speer and 25 and walk into Lohi, not much in the way of dive bars/pool that way but some great places. Busy on Saturday.

Or

Theres a townplace suites near denver health at speer and 6th. Walk down 6th to Angelos or somewhere on 7th for dinner. Then hit up Don's for pool/foos/big bick hunter. Or you could walk over to somewhere on Sante Fe or walk south on Broadway. But as adrenalated said, it'll be busy pretty much where ever on a Saturday.

I keep seeing ads for a site called “hotels tonight” despite the super cheesy name, the premise is good. Let me know if you try it.

In any case vote for avoiding traffic to Denver by whatever means necessary, getting the rental parked at the hotel, and ubering / walking to a couple spots till you find one you like. Plenty of non loud disco clubs around. And yeah fuck DTC.

This thread was very helpful for me.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ghlight=denver

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    This thread was very helpful for me.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ghlight=denver
    I used this thread also. Page 5, listen to Doebedoe.

Went to Denver Beer Co. taproom - liked the beers and vibe...spent too much $$$$. Also Forest Room and My Brothers were ok for a visit...but not really my thing. I'd look in that area b/c there was a ton more stuff to visit; we only had one night.

Google tells me there are appx 1millionty hotels in that area; there's gotta be one that fits your needs.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Magnolia, Curtis, Warwick, are all nice boutique hotels downtown. Walk/Uber to just about anything. The other more corporate hotels downtown are all good too. One Hyatt has a good bar that overlooks the city, the other has an indoor pool. I get them confused but they're both good.

RiNo district is pretty fun, lots of breweries and restaurants, full of hipsters

Falling Rock is a good beer bar, actually one of the best in the US, and there's games downstairs

Star Bar is a good dive bar with craft beer and games.

This is great stuff. Thanks everyone!

A few more:

Freshcraft is another good beer spot, no games. Down near Union station.

I actually like Wynkoop Brewery, some will say it isn't cool enough, but they have good brews, decent pub fare, open late, good service, and good atmosphere. Oh, and a bunch of pool tables upstairs.

Denver Biscuit CO.- Take an Uber- great hangover food

Vine street out on 17th has good food and beer if you end up out that way. We grabbed an Airbnb across the street once and it was decent.

I'd recommend the lower highlands or the Tennyson area for sort of upscale neighborhoody things, RiNo for trendy hipstery neighborhoody things, or the South Broadway zone for something a little less upscale. Colfax has a lot of dive/pool bars too. You may find an AirBnB that's workable around any of those neighborhoods, but Denver only allows short term rentals of the owner's primary residence, so the pickings on that front can be kinda slim.

Don't forget to go to Pete's Kitchen for a breakfast burrito when you're shitfaced at 2am. Out on East Colfax.

Pete's is good but Tom's Diner is closer to downtown. Also has more of that Colfax charm at 2am.

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Pete's is good but Tom's Diner is closer to downtown. Also has more of that Colfax charm at 2am.
    Yeah... I haven't been to Pete's in 25 years, so it's probably quite a bit more civilized there now.

Famous last words, but I hope we're sleeping by 2 am! [and hopefully in our hotel]

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    I thought Tom's was gonna be demolished but just found out that it isn't now. That's awesome.

Sam's #3 is a good, closer to downtown alternative too. I think they are open early to late

Yeah. Came to a win-win agreement. Gets historical status and the guy isn't out his investment. Pretty sweet.

I’m in the Highlands part of town (I-25 and Speer), hit me up for drink if you want.

Williams and Graham is a speak easy in Lohi has unbelievable high end cocktails.