ACR ResQLink battery replacement

There are a bunch of ACR ResQLink PLBs with expiring batteries. I am considering buying one and replacing the batteries as another rescue option. A few questions:

1. The manual states the PLB has 12 self-tests. Is this coded in the PLB software, and after 12 self-tests it locks out any further self-tests? Or is it just a battery limitation and with a new battery more self-tests are available?

2. If the PLB was registered once with ACR, can it be re-registered to another user?

RTFM jong:

This beacon has enough excess battery life to perform 12 GPS
    self tests over the 5 year life of the battery. Once this GPS
    testing feature reaches 12 times, the feature will be disabled by
    internal software.

Following this thread because I've got an older ACR ResQLink and I'll need to replace the batteries sometime soon. I'd like to be able to do that myself, if possible. I know that you can re-register the beacon thru NOAA with another user, as well.

whatever you do, get the mini if it's going in a jacket.

I got the GPS model and it is too big for me to want to throw in anything but a backpack. It definitely fits in a jacket pocket, but you'll know it's there.

FWIW, I think the 12 use thing came about because people were running tests as a means of communicating with email addresses that could be registered to be notified of GPS coordinates from the self-test.

I'd love to hear more 1st person experience with ACR vs In-Reach. For the true oh-shit moment, ACR makes most sense on paper. But In-Reach seems better in just about every other way (other than the fee).

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post

That link is erroring out. Very curious to see if batteries can be user-replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig
    I'd love to hear more 1st person experience with ACR vs In-Reach. For the true oh-shit moment, ACR makes most sense on paper. But In-Reach seems better in just about every other way (other than the fee).

I agree - I bought the ACR when I thought that the be all and end all was the device's broadcast strength and ability to get out an SOS signal. Now I understand the utility of a true two-way communication system. InReach costs more and has a weaker antenna, but I think that'll be my next big purchase.

Define “user replaceable”.

it’s a couple screws, a connectorized battery, and proper reassembly with the seal to maintain waterproofing. It’s not looking terribly hard, but you can fuck something up.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/acr-r...cement.749245/