WTB: Mammut Airbag Canister (2.0/3.0)

I need a canister to complete an airbag setup for my wife. Anybody holding an extra?

Alternatively, anybody had any luck getting a carbon canister to the US?

Sent from my SM-N970U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    I need a canister to complete an airbag setup for my wife. Anybody holding an extra?

Alternatively, anybody had any luck getting a carbon canister to the US?

May have backup if BC ever gets any. But carbon is different fill and nobody in US can do it. I got a loaner from 2nd tracks. Maybe try that

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I was told when I just was going through this that you could get a carbon canister in the states. But you could never get it refilled.

I have yet to see one that I can buy in the states.

I need one too. Having said that, one can be had from moosejaw with an active junky referral for around 150.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoySki View Post
    I was told when I just was going through this that you could get a carbon canister in the states. But you could never get it refilled.

I have yet to see one that I can buy in the states.

Yeah that's my understanding as well on the no refills. I believe some Euro shops (e.g., snowinn) will ship and it is hit or miss whether it makes it thru customs.

My strategy was gonna be to use the standard cylinder that I already have in my bag to test fire my wife's airbag and then she carries the carbon when travelling in the bc. If she has to pull it, $100 lost on a cylinder is the least of our worries. But I'm also fine just using a standard cylinder if I can locate one. She is already a faster climber than me so I really should be doing all I can to weigh her down haha.

FYI looks like backcountry.com has the standard cylinder for 25% off ($150). I just ordered 1 in case I'm not able to find something used in the next few days.

I will now go take a shower for buying from them...

Carbons in the US are Unicorns that exist buy you have to really "know somebody" or sneak it in. I tried numerous times buying over seas and the order goes thru then they send me a refund an note about shipping no no's.

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    Carbons in the US are Unicorns that exist buy you have to really "know somebody" or sneak it in. I tried numerous times buying over seas and the order goes thru then they send me a refund an note about shipping no no's.
    Thanks, makes sense. I've got a friend going to the UK this weekend. Do you know if it is legal to bring back a carbon canister via checked luggage? They're more than willing to help me out but I don't want them to have any issues since they already have their hands full travelling with a young child.

If it's empty and the head is removed, should be fine checked or carry on. Just have to figure out how to refill it stateside. PCP air pump plus some fitting creativity will be necessary.

There are two issues:
    -the carbon canister can't be refilled in the USA/Canada.
    -TSA won't allow filled canisters in their planes.

BUT the rest of the modern world allow the full canisters to be flown in their planes.
    According to the IATA, TABLE 2.3.A
    Provisions for Dangerous Goods Carried by Passengers or Crew (Subsection 2.3):
    Avalanche rescue backpack, one (1) per person, containing a cartridge of compressed gas in Div. 2.2. May also be equipped with a pyrotechnic trigger mechanism containing no more than 200 mg net of Div. 1.4S. The backpack must be packed in such a manner that it cannot be accidentally activated. The airbags within the backpacks must be fitted with pressure relief valves.

So you can fly a full carbon canister to anywhere but USA.
    I know a bunch of guys in Whistler that use the carbon canisters that they flew home from Europe.

Thanks, this is super helpful. So just to confirm, even if it is a direct flight back to the US from the UK, its against regulations? Seems like if the flight originates in the UK it could be alright?

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Thanks, this is super helpful. So just to confirm, even if it is a direct flight back to the US from the UK, its against regulations? Seems like if the flight originates in the UK it could be alright?

If it is clearly empty no issues...they need to be able to see into and essentially be able to put a rod down the throat to verify its empty.

If the canister is empty and the lid is removed then no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoySki View Post
    If the canister is empty and the lid is removed then no problems.

Yeah unfortunately that is a no-go given the carbon cartridge is non-refillable

That’s the problem. I was europe for four months nearly bought one cause I found it super cheap but couldn’t refill it and wasn’t able to bring it back in my bags.

I ordered a carbon canister from snowinn.com and it arrived 2 weeks later no problems. Haven’t had to deploy it yet fortunately so refill hasn’t been an issue.

I am going to Cham in Feb and wondering what to do? Anyone know of a place to procure a canister over there? Or chance it with a full can? I flew to AK with a full can both ways on an older BCA pack with no issue. Just makes me a bit nervous though...

So does the carbon canister fill differently, like a different size valve or something? What prevents you from refilling it yourself?

Edit: saw that the carbon canister is 300 bar vs 207 for the steel?

Edit2: Wildsnow says that the carbon is filled with nitrogen and is non-refillable?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

Edit2: Wildsnow says that the carbon is filled with nitrogen and is non-refillable?
    This

They can be refilled by Mammut in Switzerland

Alright, here's a recap of where we are at just in case someone searches for this info later:
    -You can fly in the US with a standard refillable aluminum cylinder as long as it is empty
    -Because the carbon cylinder cannot be refilled in the US, you should not empty it before a flight
    -Some folks have had success flying with a full carbon canister on flights from EU back to the US (perhaps a better shot with direct flights)...but no guarantees
    -Some folks have had success buying from a Euro retailer (e.g., snowinn -- they are sold out right now) and having it shipped back (although it appears more and more retailers just won't even attempt this). Sounds like many attempts at this have ended in the package getting rejected at customs and you get a refund. This approach might take a while and may not work at all.

I bought two carbon cylinders and flew back from Geneva to the US (reno) without a problem 2 years ago. I still use them in the US but have a travel (i.e. non-filled canister that I travel with on intra US flights.

Are people flying back with the carbons in their checked luggage or their carry-ons? I assume the former?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Are people flying back with the carbons in their checked luggage or their carry-ons? I assume the former?
    Checked luggage.

The Mammut store in Cham has the carbon cartridge for €139. I might buy one there and see if I can sneak it back. Also they rent them there...

Mission accomplished!!

I bought the carbon cartridge from Blue Tomato and had it shipped to where a buddy was staying in the UK on vacation. They brought it back in their checked luggage on a direct flight. No issues whatsoever, the package wasn't even opened.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200127_192840.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	312635