K2 Pinnacle 100 Ski Boot Locking Mechanism Issues

My kids powder days ended early on Friday since his K2 Pinnacle 100 ski boots kept unlocking the cuff while still in the locked mode. If he leaned back too hard (or got bucked into the backseat while charging through deep ruts), the locking mechanism would “slip” and pop into the walk mode. The locking lever would not move.

Ski mode looks like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3992.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	310417

And the boot would end up like this:

Name:	IMG_3993.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	310418

He could lean back at a full stop and pop it into “walk mode”. He’s 145-lbs. These aren’t the best boots and he likely needs a stiffer pair, but curious if this is a known issue or if anyone has any experience with a fix short of buying a new boot at peak season prices.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    My kids powder days ended early on Friday since his K2 Pinnacle 100 ski boots kept unlocking the cuff while still in the locked mode. If he leaned back too hard (or got bucked into the backseat while charging through deep ruts), the locking mechanism would “slip” and pop into the walk mode. The locking lever would not move.

Ski mode looks like this:

Name:	IMG_3992.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	310417

And the boot would end up like this:

Name:	IMG_3993.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	310418

He could lean back at a full stop and pop it into “walk mode”. He’s 145-lbs. These aren’t the best boots and he likely needs a stiffer pair, but curious if this is a known issue or if anyone has any experience with a fix short of buying a new boot at peak season prices.
    I've seen lots of issues with those walkmode while working at a retailer. I would try replacing the walkmodes before getting rid of them. K2 was pretty easy to deal with getting parts back a few years ago. That is a bummer, good luck and hope you can get the working again.

Unfortunately I had to replace a couple pairs of the earlier generation. Boots would fail on the lower shell by the walk mode. You could only see it by pulling the liner and shining a flashlight on it. Other issues as skisurf points out.

K2 was always great to work with and had quick-ish replacements but I moved on quickly to another boot. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Appreciate the insights. It happened again last weekend. We are moving on. Found him some new boots and got them punched in the proper spots. With rain this weekend, it makes it tough to get out and ski before we leave to UT on Weds. Hope the new Cochise work for him!!
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Sorry to hear it happened again but glad you found another pair to move him into.

Solid boot. If it fits well, I am sure it will work!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums