Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    SPX/Axial bindings don't really apply to this conversation. IME they are VERY sensitive to the forward pressure adjustment and must be set correctly or any aggressive skier WILL walk out of them. The turntable FKS/Pivot design has much better heel retention.
    I mean, why would we compare incorrectly installed bindings? Of course they won’t work if they aren’t set correctly. It’s not hard to get the forward pressure right, and I totally agree that the heels don’t retain without forward pressure set up right. But that’s not how they are designed to work.

No bindings work well if they aren’t adjusted right.

Salomon fanboi for the last 20 years UNTIL....
    the sth2 916. Developed significant heel slop in two pair when boot is in binding. Denied warranty.

Why, you ask, oh curious reader? Because Salomon decided to buck the last 40+ years of binding wisdom and instead of mounting the heel piece to the ski, they now have a track mounted to the ski, that the heel piece is then attached to it, which adds an additional unnecessary interface causing pre-mature slop and shitty releases.

After I got denied a Warranty claim twice I went to Look Pivots, couldn't be happier and a big fuck you to Salomon for screwing up an awesome and proven binding design but moreso for not standing behing your new shitty design when it failed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I'm 230 lbs, ski as hard as anybody and run my pivots at 8. Never have had an unintentional release.

11 sounds crazy to me.

An 11 for someone might be an 8 for you. It all depends on boot sole length.
    DIN isn't an objective measure of retention across setups.
    Mentioning because I think people generally don't realize that BSL affects required DIN.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Pivots vs Salomon Bindings

I’ve never had any pre release issue with Tyrollia or Sally. Had Attacks and their predecessors for 10+ years and put tons of days and lots of hard skiing on them. I prefer the lower stack height of the Attacks.

I personally prefer the ease of getting in and out to Pivots and honestly can’t tell a difference when I ski them.

I’ve also never been able to do the Ski Patrol double entry in Pivots which is important.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    I mean, why would we compare incorrectly installed bindings? Of course they won’t work if they aren’t set correctly. It’s not hard to get the forward pressure right, and I totally agree that the heels don’t retain without forward pressure set up right. But that’s not how they are designed to work.

No bindings work well if they aren’t adjusted right.
    They don’t apply because they do not have the cult following of the Pivot/fks bindings.

My comment was in response to Mattig’s complaints re:unexpected release.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi-Bell View Post
    Why, you ask, oh curious reader? Because Salomon decided to buck the last 40+ years of binding wisdom and instead of mounting the heel piece to the ski, they now have a track mounted to the ski, that the heel piece is then attached to it, which adds an additional unnecessary interface causing pre-mature slop and shitty releases.
    The heel was never mounted directly to the ski in the older Driver/STH models. It was a heel track in housing with the heel sliding inside of it. Although different the track has always been the part screwed to the ski. The problem is they use cheaper/weaker material at the interface points, causing wear, resulting in slop. That being said I've seen sloppy 997's.... and plenty of broken sloppy pivots.

Currently I am about 50/50 Solly/Pivots. The Pivots are kind of a pain but they do ski better for me.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025