Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    It is easy to change the frequency - all you have to do is go to the International Telecommunications Union and argue your case for a worldwide, free of charge, frequency allocation. Should only take a few days (shakes head).
    Request yes. Approve good luck. Pull frequency spectrum allocation chart and you will see a million users and tons waiting in line.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Yes. I can smell the diarrhea from here
    That's fecal transplant solution!
    Last edited by puregravity; 01-20-2020 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added exclamation mark
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Let’s all invent a better beacon. Now can we all agree on features. We can’t agree on a ski, classic thread. But it got me thinking about alternative solutions

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Request yes. Approve good luck. Pull frequency spectrum allocation chart and you will see a million users and tons waiting in line.
    I think you need to re-callibrate your sarcasm detector

RECCO reflectors are not a substitute for beacons.

I need to clear up a point that you seemed to have missed. Just about all of our materials, which include booklets, movies, hangtags, and garment tags say “The RECCO System is not a substitute for the transceiver.” We WANT people to be equipped with and know how to use transceivers (aka beacons) because transceivers are the BEST tool for companion rescue. The RECCO System is only another tool for organized rescue teams. Why? Because a lot (about half) of buried victims need more help than what their friends can give. You might be surprised to know that sometimes organized rescue – even in North America and in the backcountry – arrives at the same time or even before companions have started the search for a buried friend. This is one of the reasons why our R9 Detector also includes an avalanche rescue beacon (457 kHz) receiver, so a single rescuer can search for both RECCO reflectors and an avalanche beacon at the same time.

~excerpt from
    RECCO's Reply to Gear Review written by Unofficial Networks
    https://unofficialnetworks.com/2011/...cial-networks/

"Because a lot (about half) of buried victims need more help than what their friends can give. You might be surprised to know that sometimes organized rescue – even in North America and in the backcountry – arrives at the same time or even before companions have started the search for a buried friend. "

That really surprises me.

They say RECCO reflectors put you in a place to be lucky.
    I'd argue that Pieps Backup (TX only) + RECCO reflectors puts you in a luckier place.

And of course, a full kit (full beacon, probe, shovel +training)
    PLUS partner with same, puts you in the luckiest place
    and helps you make someone else lucky.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Holy shit this thread is still alive?

PG you ever touched a R9?

The R9 457KHz search capability is as a single antenna analog audio only with manual gain adjust with only 3 settings. That is to say it is basically less easy to use than just about any other beacon ever made.

The reason the RECCO has 457 is so that when we get out of the helicopter and onto a debris field, we can hear 457 while we search for RECCO at the same time without have a beacon in the other hand or potentially interfering with the R9. Because one rescuer can clear both RECCO and 457 in their search zone means that the RECCO is more likely to be deployed ASAP instead of after a beacon sweep. But even those of use who have a strong analog background will switch to our 3 antenna digital if we detect 457.

Yes organized rescue can be on scene before companion... this is usually the result of poor travel protocol or poor training on the part of the group caught: multiple people caught or people unable to perform a competent search.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Holy shit this thread is still alive?

PG you ever touched a R9?

The R9 457KHz search capability is as a single antenna analog audio only with manual gain adjust with only 3 settings. That is to say it is basically less easy to use than just about any other beacon ever made.

The reason the RECCO has 457 is so that when we get out of the helicopter and onto a debris field, we can hear 457 while we search for RECCO at the same time without have a beacon in the other hand or potentially interfering with the R9. Because one rescuer can clear both RECCO and 457 in their search zone means that the RECCO is more likely to be deployed ASAP instead of after a beacon sweep. But even those of use who have a strong analog background will switch to our 3 antenna digital if we detect 457.

Yes organized rescue can be on scene before companion... this is usually the result of poor travel protocol or poor training on the part of the group caught: multiple people caught or people unable to perform a competent search.

That's interesting. No, never touched any Recco product except the tags on my gear.