Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Hit your berm off Jewell last night. She could use some luv but still rides well. Actually that whole trail heading down could use a reroute at this point. I assume there are some politics with the builds in the park. They did close the one steepest trail skiers right of that. Not sure what the plan is. And man, I hadn't been there since early spring and that place is crazy busy.
    where is this Jewell you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    We rode Bolton and Little River, which I think rides a little smoother with the rebuild. Rode Cady Falls too. Holy sheeeet that was fun.

If yoyre bitching about mainstream Stowe riding come down to the coast for a spell. That'll make ya grateful for how good the building is up by you guys.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Cady Falls is AWESOME reminds of trips to the PNW in much smaller scale. The biggest downside to outsiders but a plus to all the locals is it basically impossible to ride with out a local to show you around, it is built intentionally confusing with literally 1000s of intersections. With that said I have no idea why other organized clubs are not able to built primitive natural trails with great flow where as a bunch of people acting alone have been able to accomplish dozens of great DH trails at CFN with basic hand tools.

I dont really considered Bolton Stowe area but that is great as well.

I have traveled and rode MANY places. I would take janky old stuff over poorly designed newish stuff any day I even like the new stuff in Cady Hill quite a bit.

As for build before you complain My suggestion of ripping out all the guide stones and not ever using them again fell on death ears. Showing up to SMBC official trail work days was just installing more guide stones.....many of those new guide stones caused more widening/erosion than doing nothing. So basically trying to work with in the system of SMBC(Stowe Mountain bike Club) would be the equivalent of trying to become a police officer to end police brutality. I now maintain a small back yard trail and help at Cady's Falls as individual and other various anarchist trails in the area.

on more a positive note. Anyone ever have pollen make things crazy slippery on trail? Riding last night I hit a section of trail I have rode 100s of times and couldnt maintain traction and the trail was yellow. Weirdest experience ever.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    where is this Jewell you speak of?
    Oh man, it's top-secret

Stratham Hill Park. The busiest place in the seacoast with trail runners, dog walkers, and bikers. It is the best dog park for sure! I usually just do casual rides with the dogs, but COVID shut it down for a bit and now the rule is on-leash only, so I've been going off the beaten path with them. Actually, I need to see if that rule is still in effect.

Talking

^^ I was wondering if it was closer to me if Waist Deep was berm building on it. That's pretty far south for me to venture

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    We rode Bolton and Little River, which I think rides a little smoother with the rebuild. Rode Cady Falls too. Holy sheeeet that was fun.

If yoyre bitching about mainstream Stowe riding come down to the coast for a spell. That'll make ya grateful for how good the building is up by you guys.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Have you gone to Clifford Park in Biddeford? I rode there a bunch 14 years or so a go. It was pretty raw and not thought out well. It ended up being one of the reasons I switched to road biking for awhile. Far better Road rides along the coast, Arundel, and through the Berwicks.
    Little River is fun, especially if you are camping. I like the climb and history of the area, and hill Farmer is one of the better flow trails in C. VT.

^^ I was wondering if it was closer to me if Waist Deep was berm building on it. That's pretty far south for me to venture
    Yeah, that's when he was a NH seacoasta. And that is one of the very few berms in that network. They added a few more a couple of years ago and used a type of gravel that is kinda scary loose most of the time.

Yeah, that's when he was a NH seacoasta. And that is one of the very few berms in that network. They added a few more a couple of years ago and used a type of gravel that is kinda scary loose most of the time.
    we've got some trail managers up this way using gravel in weird ways, I don't get it other than that they must not ride bikes

we've got some trail managers up this way using gravel in weird ways, I don't get it other than that they must not ride bikes
    Yeah, I think it was a solid effort as it packs well, but the top layers stay loose. The entire berm is made from what looks like pea gravel mixed with stone dust or something, so it's a quick easy one to make. I'm don't know construction earth aggregates, but this stuff seems like a decent base, but you'd need something on top. Still, I think it would get ridden off anyway. Need to use what all the park guys are building with.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Have you gone to Clifford Park in Biddeford? I rode there a bunch 14 years or so a go. It was pretty raw and not thought out well. It ended up being one of the reasons I switched to road biking for awhile. Far better Road rides along the coast, Arundel, and through the Berwicks.
    Little River is fun, especially if you are camping. I like the climb and history of the area, and hill Farmer is one of the better flow trails in C. VT.
    I have not although my friend has ventured there. Sounded like some stuff was getting built but many dead ends and partial trails. TBH if I get in the car to go farther than Falmouth I end up going to North Conway or elsewhere.

The first two of many poorly built berms in my trailbuilding career . Still have not figured it out, and cringe every time I ride Raven and am on the brakes the whole time after the hip jump. Needed to rebuild that zone.

Yeah more and more the Portland town trails are covered in gravel. I get it in the swampy areas, but it seems like an expensive and laborious way to make the trails really boring.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Went to Ascutney today, place just keeps getting better. So much stuff has been reworked for modern bikes and riding. Ran into the master trail builder, Jim Lyall, reworking Southern Belle, he’s still getting after it, big time. Trails are faster with more flow, all by hand. Trail day, two weeks from tomorrow. I’m gonna try to get there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA730A62-EF10-46D5-B081-46EED82E853C.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	338391

Name:	IMG_4788.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	338392
    crab in my shoe mouth

^^^so when’s the mag meet up?

I'd be in again!

Love that place. No riding trips have happened this year, and I has a sad. Would make an exception for there!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Rode PRKR MTN in Littleton, Nh last night. Man what a gnarly awkward little spot. The DH on the back side Wild card was pretty insanely good though.

Video from PRKR MTN. First time riding Wild cat I am certained id be faster next time riding it. Fuck that trail is steep. 14 percent grade average with spike of up to 25+. If you want to cringy commentary and awkward flat bits and pedaling go to the start.

Don't piss Hank off by not following the "rules"

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 10.45.25 AM.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	338526
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

We saw a group of 5 dads and at least a dozen middle schoolers the other evening at Saxon Hill. No masks and no real social distancing happening.

I assumed it was a club or team, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Don't piss Hank off by not following the "rules"

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 10.45.25 AM.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	338526

no idea why you want to be loud on that section of trail......

also the signage is clear as day.

Considering a Fall MTB tour with an eye on heading over to the 'Daks. I came across the Barkeater Trails Alliance https://www.betatrails.org/, anyone have other beta on riding around Saranac Lake and surrounding areas?

Also looking for boondock #vanlife camping ideas.

Huckbucket? We may be interested in some of that gravel loop you just did

Considering a Fall MTB tour with an eye on heading over to the 'Daks. I came across the Barkeater Trails Alliance https://www.betatrails.org/, anyone have other beta on riding around Saranac Lake and surrounding areas?

I've ridden the various BETA trail networks, though it's been a few years now. They are fun and they have a very dedicated trail crew, so things tend to be well-maintained. In the few years since I've been, they've done a few more machine-built projects if you're into the flow thing. The hand-built stuff is a little closer to the VT topography / soil-type than the more rocky/techy stuff you'd find further south in NY (or NJ/CT). Really the only "bad" thing I can say about the BETA stuff is that no single trail network is particularly large. Some of the networks can be linked without too much road riding (and I feel like there are also some doubletrack / gravel connectors but don't quote me on that), so you'll definitely need a little time in the car to go between Wilmington / Placid / Saranac.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    We saw a group of 5 dads and at least a dozen middle schoolers the other evening at Saxon Hill. No masks and no real social distancing happening.

I assumed it was a club or team, but still.
    Cady Hill was often packed with adults guiding huge groups of kids this summer. No masks and I'm certain they all weren't cohabiting together since March.

Riding this season has involved following a few clearly posted, easy to follows rules and a huge portion of riders see those rules, say "fuck you" and do whatever they want.

I can send a link to the ridewithgps file and provide any beta. Just drop me a DM. All depends on what you're looking for. Ample remote camping in that part of the park. Could do some bushwacking too. Mostly nice wide dirt/sand/gravel but you could easily connect with single track at McCauley's.

Take a look at Old Forge too. I hear nothing but good stuff about what they've got going on.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Take a look at Old Forge too. I hear nothing but good stuff about what they've got going on.
    That's McCauley's. I've also heard good things.

Name:	DSC06890.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	338662

Cochran’s was a ghost town this morning. The rain Saturday must have deterred the crowds but as expected (hoped) the winds from Sunday left the trails nice and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by AyoBeng View Post

Name:	DSC06890.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	338662

Cochran’s was a ghost town this morning. The rain Saturday must have deterred the crowds but as expected (hoped) the winds from Sunday left the trails nice and dry.
    Where you talking to the older guy about adios not being on trailforks??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid