Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1243
    Quote Originally Posted by MaineSkiAddict1 View Post
    Since the ground here isn't rideable, how are things looking around Willowdale/ Exeter? I am still itching to get out.
    Re Exeter-
    We have mixed conditions, but still on FS bikes. No need for fat. We should be back to 100% dirt in a few days. Most trails after a couple/few riders are all dirt anyway.

Western Mass is still riding great. Bunch of people out too. Upper 40s. Down low dry and still little snow up top. Felt like spring skiing with snow kicking up on legs with shorts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0212.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	247.6 KB 
ID:	352422

Name:	IMG_0210.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	330.1 KB 
ID:	352423

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm going to be selling my current fat bike frame if anyone is interested. It was always a bit too small for me so I ordered a slightly large new frame.

It's an 18 inch Motobecane Lurch frame, steel, tapered headtube, ample rack and bottle mounts, threaded BB, 190 x 9/10mm rear end. I bought it new in 2018 and its mostly be ridden on snow so its in good shape. Local pick up around central VT for $150. Happy to send pics if anyone is interested.

After 6 days of skiing I figured in would do something different. Mounted up the studs and went for a ride...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonna need those studs by the end of the day tomorrow. A couple of inches of hot rain into a solid snowpack then the temps are gonna crash by sunset and it's gonna lock up hard. I'm down to about 6" so it won't make it through, we'll be down to bare ground riding again so hopefully it stays cold for a while or it's going to be a mud pit.

Trails froze hard overnight and were riding great this morning. Flurries all morning also put a nice cover on the woods. Back on skinny tires until the next storm.

Name:	Image1609014312.278981.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	354926

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by HankScorpio; 12-26-2020 at 08:28 PM.

Ride today and it was nice, but watch out for those surprise ice sheets. I think my whole left side will be purple tomorrow...

20/20 NE - I can see clearly now

Back to frozen dirt and some occasional ice..

Rode my 26er today! First time in years. It was actually quite fucking difficult!

Needed my bike and moved rocks for stability to make the river crossing. Water is high for this time of year.

Night ride to beer and burn

Fell asleep early so got out to start the day & year off right. Though people really don’t understand freeze/thaw which is frustrating

^^ That is what cochran’s looks like right now, but covered in 1/4” of ice.
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

i've been going a bit stir crazy with the lack of skiing, and tricky riding conditions, and have now been considering a fat bike. Last week I rode quite a but. Thought I would do a ton of road riding but hate paved roads, so ended up crashing a ton on the ice ruts. I did a braintree-northfield-moretown-rochester loop, and for some reason rochester was terrible, no grip and lots of crashing, everywhere else I was ok.

Started riding frozen trails, which was great, but the icy stuff on some of the doubletrack and VAST, has me considering studded tires, and at that point I should probably just consider a fat bike. I've always been a non believer, the "prime" season just seems so short, and I hate the attitude of riders complaining about groomed trails and folks post holing them. But maybe I'll get the most use on roads and icy double track, is this silly?

^ya, silly.

Frozen dirt is so fast and fun. Rain/snow line here was within 3-4 miles of the coast.
    Finally got our hidden gem of a network fully blown and the firm dirt stayed epic for the fs bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    ^ya, silly.

Frozen dirt is so fast and fun. Rain/snow line here was within 3-4 miles of the coast.
    Finally got our hidden gem of a network fully blown and the firm dirt stayed epic for the fs bikes.
    You putting S&S in next to that one?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    You putting S&S in next to that one?
    Haha!

When we found this line my bud (who also live in JH previously) said this is freakin' Corbets!

Pretty steep V-shaped rock with a couple of big roots, so it's really more of a mindfuck, than actually difficult. The line was made easier because you can shoot straight out whereas you used to have to bank a hard right turn essentially up the base of a tree.

I've ridden down it countless times, but it still gets me a little gripped and I'll avoid it if I'm questioning myself at all. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    i've been going a bit stir crazy with the lack of skiing, and tricky riding conditions, and have now been considering a fat bike. Last week I rode quite a but. Thought I would do a ton of road riding but hate paved roads, so ended up crashing a ton on the ice ruts. I did a braintree-northfield-moretown-rochester loop, and for some reason rochester was terrible, no grip and lots of crashing, everywhere else I was ok.

Started riding frozen trails, which was great, but the icy stuff on some of the doubletrack and VAST, has me considering studded tires, and at that point I should probably just consider a fat bike. I've always been a non believer, the "prime" season just seems so short, and I hate the attitude of riders complaining about groomed trails and folks post holing them. But maybe I'll get the most use on roads and icy double track, is this silly?
    This season was odd. Usually regular biking and at least groomer skiing overlap. This year stick season was long and strong. But maybe the new normal?
    I had the same silly thoughts.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post

I broke down a bought a fat bike once I realized it's perfect for when the skiing sucks. There's plenty of groomed fat biking between North Branch, Millstone, Blueberry Lake and the miles of VAST trails. I don't have studded tires and get by just fine. They're not necessary but aren't a bad idea, especially if they go on a dedicated snow bike.

I've been seriously considering a studded skinny tire purchase for this year. Lots of fat bikers in my area, since there's often not enough snow for XC skiing but too icy for running. I figure it is cheaper to try out $200 in new tires than drop $2000 on a new bike. Any recommendations for a 29x2.2 ish tire? Seems like the Schwalbe Ice Spiker or 45nrth Kahva keep showing up in searches. Anyone have experience with either of those? DIY option?

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    I've been seriously considering a studded skinny tire purchase for this year. Lots of fat bikers in my area, since there's often not enough snow for XC skiing but too icy for running. I figure it is cheaper to try out $200 in new tires than drop $2000 on a new bike. Any recommendations for a 29x2.2 ish tire? Seems like the Schwalbe Ice Spiker or 45nrth Kahva keep showing up in searches. Anyone have experience with either of those? DIY option?
    Idk, studs are awesome with ice, but they are so-so in snow, useless in powder, and I don't like them on granite at all...imo. In my local circle, there have been two used fat bikes sold recently in the $600-750 range. I think you'd get more miles out of that investment personally.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Fat bike purchase imminent. Stoked on 2020.
    Remember when...

Just went back to see when this thread was started since we're in a new year. Ahh...pre-pandemic was oh so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Remember when...

Just went back to see when this thread was started since we're in a new year. Ahh...pre-pandemic was oh so nice.
    Sad face. THOUGH, while I still don't have a fatbike, my splitboard is getting it's miles on the groomer ups and downs, AND my wife got me a new classic xc set up, which I am loving. Next year- I seriously covet a Rocky Mountain Blizzard 30...

Also 2020 can go fudge itself.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Sad face. THOUGH, while I still don't have a fatbike, my splitboard is getting it's miles on the groomer ups and downs, AND my wife got me a new classic xc set up, which I am loving. Next year- I seriously covet a Rocky Mountain Blizzard 30...

Also 2020 can go fudge itself.
    Probably best to wait on a fat bike. I hear they're sold out everywhere due to the COVID bike boom.

20/20 NE - I can see clearly now

Name:	Image1609872453.061819.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	356417
    Rocky Blizzard 10 in action today

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Probably best to wait on a fat bike. I hear they're sold out everywhere due to the COVID bike boom.
    This. I’ve been trying to get my hands on one for months with no luck. I foolishly waited on a Farley that was gone the day after I saw it.