Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    ^^^Yeah buddy!

71mi, 5200' climbing for my first week on the bike so far this season. Yeeeeaaaah buddy!

Pretty certain I'd weigh about 400lbs. right now if it weren't for bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    Road to flagstaff lake, and all the roads around Weld like the one leading to tumbledown. In my relatively limited experience riding around those counties the locals either drive crazy slow or ridiculously fast and close to bikers, no cops and long distances between towns.
    Road out to Flag Lake is dry ish, so is the Carriage Road now. Tough to make looping rides, even tougher without a gravel type bike this year. Sold my Straggler last summer and my choice is a carbon roadie or my MTB.

Everytime I go to VT I'm so jealous of the endless mileage of dirt roads.

EDIT: road to Flagstaff is mud and turns to unpassable snow, same for Carriage Rd. With 6-12" coming Thursday I better get that trainer ordered.
    Last edited by ticketchecker; 04-07-2020 at 03:01 PM.

Spring is here, shorts today! Dirt roads are dry.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0033.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	324393
    crab in my shoe mouth

^^^Yeahhhhh buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    ^^^Yeah buddy!

71mi, 5200' climbing for my first week on the bike so far this season. Yeeeeaaaah buddy!

Get after it big man!

Fuckin' gorgeous day, hope everyone got out for some mental health time.
    Ride in the morning with the pups

Back out in the afternoon

C5s doing touch-n-goes

Thoughts from the collective:

I’ve been toying with the idea of adding a hardtail to the quiver for a while. The LBS carries Santa Cruz, Norco, and can get Chromag. Three bikes in the same price point (ish): the Chameleon (carbon build cause, why not), Torrent S1 (steel), and the Rootdown (GX build).

Components are all similar. The big difference is the geo on the Chameleon. A little less “party” but a lifetime warranty on the frame. I can’t demo any of them but have to trust numbers. All will be a 29er (instead of 27+)

I’d post in the Progressive Hardtail thread but I figure since we all ride in the NE, you guys would have a better perspective on terrain/ capabilities.

Thanks in advance

I only have hardtails, MUCH prefer steel over others but plus tires give just enough cush that it's not as important as it is on 2.3's. Still, there's a feel, a compliance, that just makes it more pleasant. I'd go with that Torrent, it is a really fun, poppy, nimble kind of bike that's just perfect for so much of what we ride.

^^^Yeah buddy!

YEAAHHHH BUD!!! I'm kinda gun-shy about getting out down here in Boston, far too many people out and about. I might try and swing an early morning ride someday soon. I was making dinner two weeks ago and ended up getting a nasty second degree burn on my hand... Almost all recovered now, teledoc got me some good antibacterial cream.

Doing wheelie practice and intervals in the mean time, gotta stay busy somehow!!

Quote Originally Posted by MaineSkiAddict1 View Post

I’ve been toying with the idea of adding a hardtail to the quiver for a while. The LBS carries Santa Cruz, Norco, and can get Chromag. Three bikes in the same price point (ish): the Chameleon (carbon build cause, why not), Torrent S1 (steel), and the Rootdown (GX build).

Components are all similar. The big difference is the geo on the Chameleon. A little less “party” but a lifetime warranty on the frame. I can’t demo any of them but have to trust numbers. All will be a 29er (instead of 27+)

I’d post in the Progressive Hardtail thread but I figure since we all ride in the NE, you guys would have a better perspective on terrain/ capabilities.

Thanks in advance
    I think its worth trying to figure out what your "objectives" for the bike will be.

I have a steel honzo set up as a singlespeed. I got it to make tamer trails more fun and to treat it as a big dirt jump bike when riding techier spots. I feel I can hit most of the local trails in the same manner as my normal bike without worrying about the frame not taking it. Geometry at 130mm fork puts it right in the fun but very pedal-able slot.

Personally, I'd only do a carbon hardtail if I were planning to burn longer miles on mellow-ish terrain. The ride quality of steel is definitely real but will take a toll on your hands if you push it; I imagine carbon and alloy will have similar effects so is something worth considering. Flip-side, carbon is gonna be a lot lighter than a steel frame.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineSkiAddict1 View Post

Thanks in advance
    As a long time Chromag Surface owner, I love the fit, finish and ride quality of their frames. Very capable frame, I don't hesitate to take it down long DH runs or long XC rides. The Rootdown geo is a bit more aggressive so I imagine it being more on the freeride side of the progressive hardtail range. I also have a buddy who rides around Boston with a new Chameleon who loves it. SC carbon is bomber and the warranty kicks ass. Tough call between the 2 but it boils down to if you want steel or carbon.

Not sure if this pic will work. The app I use on my watch to record rides has a weird share feature and this is the first time I'm using it. This is the map of yesterdays ride laid over the pic from the high point of the ride.

Name:	SHealth_09_59_08_883.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	589.9 KB 
ID:	324521

hmm, I have no idea why it added the pic from the day before too. Weird...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200406_144739.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	324515  

Thanks for the input, all. I appreciate it.

Got out for my first local ride today. It was a mixed bag; tons of places were bone dry but the few wet spots won’t be dry for quite some time. The west side of Cape Elizabeth is rideable. The East side, however is not ready. I managed a nice 11 mile loop from my place. Once the East is riding, it’s a solid 20+

Name:	IMG_2786.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	324604

The singletrack can dump you out a stones throw from the ocean

Name:	IMG_2787.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	324605

There's a nice left that forms on that point

Found a new to me spot five or so miles from my house yesterday. pretty cool little spot, bunch of little loops in a 400acre forest. Lots of wetness and still about 1-2 feet of snow covering anything not directly facing south. The ride from my door stuff is still super wet but snow free.

My daughter spotted some trails on her neighborhood ride yesterday, she said what she could see looked like it had been raked or blown clean in the last few days. Google earth shows bits of trail winding through a suburban island of woods and it crosses a power line that also looks like it has a service trail and that runs miles in both directions. I'm kinda stoked to maybe have something I can ride out the door. Now I need it to dry up so we can go check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    There's a nice left that forms on that point
    Go on...

Ok rain, you can stop now.

Advantage of being in PA this season in particular has been our trails have been phenomenal for a month now. Just picked up a new Sworks Stumpjumper ST 29 yesterday, quick afternoon ride from my front door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^Awesome. Another couple weeks of mud season road riding, then some -10% aggressive trail riding .

Bikes will get us through, be smart, dial it back, pedal on homies.

My local trail are on the down low, and not officially NEMBA approved. Built by some guys from the local bike shop in the 90s. Really technical, twists with natural features, nice and tight. Some clown came in and basically clear cut any tree that was even on the sides of the trail, never mind the 5 or so trees left you had to shimmy or ride around. I'm livid. I confronted who I thought was the offender, and got a bunch of excuses. Been slowly fixing stuff, but its never going to be the same. WTF

Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    My local trail are on the down low, and not officially NEMBA approved. Built by some guys from the local bike shop in the 90s. Really technical, twists with natural features, nice and tight. Some clown came in and basically clear cut any tree that was even on the sides of the trail, never mind the 5 or so trees left you had to shimmy or ride around. I'm livid. I confronted who I thought was the offender, and got a bunch of excuses. Been slowly fixing stuff, but its never going to be the same. WTF
    That’s f’ed up. Can’t really undue the cutting of trees though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^^^Yeah buddy!

That is a week on a road bike? lol.. I thought it was one ride

Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    One of the main reasons I stopped building trails in 2003. Pretty much Baby riders changing tech sections, people cutting out massive amounts of trees and ignorant comments from the LBS shoprats because I road a Cannondale and an M2 Team Edition. A bunch of people can fuck right off.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Yeah I've mostly done maintenance the last couple of years but this week I'm hoping to get out and do some more serious work. The place I built all sortsa trails in 20 some odd years ago needs some tlc because the county parks trails guy retired so I figure it's time to make that happen. Re: wuffo's fucking up your trails - Build it, let them do their thing then work around that. Eventually the trail will mature and reach a stasis that's really not so bad. My place really does ride well and nobody has done that kind of "work" in years now because it reached that point where it wasn't necessary. That and I think the riding there is too hard for the kind of people that would do that, it starts with a multi mile climb and they don't ride places like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    That is a week on a road bike? lol.. I thought it was one ride
    This early in the season? Only silly zwift/sufferfest/peloton kooks pull that off.

Rode 70 miles this weekend with a great mix if gravel, dirt path, jeep track and pavement.

Thank god for bikes at a time like this.

Edit - WTF is going on with the pic uploader on the app these days?