Who has a website?

I'm going to do a website for my photos. Shopping around, looking for a good deal. No way I'm coding myself. If there's one thing I learned from a few web design courses, is that I'm paying somebody else for the tedious work.

So far, I'm looking at these companies:

Format
    Zenfolio
    Photodeck
    Photofolio
    Squarespace

I like Photofolio, but it's expensive. Maybe Format for value.

There may be commerce, but not a whole lot. I could probably deal with that by email. I'd like a blog, too.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

A non-profit I volunteer for uses WordPress for site development. GoDaddy for hosting. It works - haven't had any issues.

It could be the worst combination out there, but I wouldn't know.
    fun hater.

Grindr wasn't working for you?

Wordpress
    Buy a good template and you can do it yourself.
    Amateur photographer is a common website theme
    ďLife has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.Ē
    Hunter S. Thompson

Squarespace seems like it was made for you. Start with a free trial and see how you like it. Not sure about the cost or commerce options, but I'm sure they exist. Look at a bunch of photographer's sites on squarespace to get a feel of what's possible.

SmugMug is SUPER easy to use, and it's pretty cheap too. A bonus is that it offers unlimited storage (I'm sure others do too, but I don't bother comparison shopping since I've been using SM for several years). I use it for my website: www.SteveMokanPhotography.com

I went with Format. Mainly because it's not too pricey, and I don't need a lot, and, I started making a site, and didn't want to start over. Looks good. Just have to be secure with only a help function on the website as your only manual, and, that web design functions don't work like print design software, especially type, and especially when you're working with a template. The humans in chat were kinda worthless, except Dan. Thanks, Dan.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

GoDaddy has a simple template menu that's free to try and super fukking easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    GoDaddy has a simple template menu that's free to try and super fukking easy to use.
    Agree. Just built one for my wife. Looks sharp and works smoothly across all platforms. Currently working on one for myself too.

I've had a couple Wordpress sites over the years and I think it kinda sucks now. Maybe it's just been left behind. Not crazy about the templates. Will avoid in the future.

My main revenue-generating site is built using Joomla. I had a web guy build the initial site for me, but I find it pretty easy to manipulate, add content, control the ads, etc. Not nearly as easy as GoDaddy but that just didn't have some of the functionality I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Just an anecdote, but, was talking to my framer yesterday, nice guy, and he uses Go Daddy for his simple site, and now his site is down and in some sort of limbo, after spending a few hours on the phone with them. Still not back up, and he's way too busy to deal. But, that's a seven year old site, and we know how things have advanced in that period. Hope I get more than seven years.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Who has a website?

Benny made his decision, but hereís my $.02 as someone who has had many iterations of a personal site as well as someone who built $3-400k websites for clients at an agency for years.

1) donít use GoDaddy for anything. You can find better and cheaper options for all of their services.

2) donít use Wordpress. WP is great if you have some coding background, but can turn into a nightmare if you are a lay person. Most open source CMS platforms rely on third party integrations for most of their functionality, and most of the time you will need to tweak things in the code to get what you want.

Thereís also the question of security. WP is built on PHP which is less secure than other frameworks in general. You also run into issues where upgrading your base WP can break all of your third party integrations. This causes people to never upgrade their security in fear of breaking something the wonít be able to fix.

3) I usually recommend Squarespace to people, but Format and SmugMug are also good options. Play around with more than one before deciding.

It helps to think about what you want the website to accomplish for you ($, fame, sharing pics with family), then sketch out a wireframe of where all of the content and photos will be put, how the navigation will work, etc. use a site builder that lets you get as close to that wireframe as possible.

4) think about other integrations. Iíd youíre taking payment, how are you going to collect it? You may need an account with Stripe or PayPal to take CCs. Know what they need from you before you put your store live. Itís not always straight forward.

If you buy a domain itís probably a good idea to get email set up. Google makes it super easy to add an email to your domain. WAAAAAYYYY easier than GoDaddy and you get the whole Google suite of tools for $6 a month.

Make sure you have analytics as well if you are trying to make $. How people are arriving to your site and what they do when they get there is valuable info. Most site builders have basic information but I like Google Analytics got really in depth info.

5) learn a bit of code anyway. Knowing how HTML and CSS work will help you understand how a lot of the web builders apply your preferences. Making font and color decisions globally and applying them everywhere is much easier and more professional looking than just doing whatever you want on every page.

6) never, ever use comic sans.

My site: http://philherbert.photos

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    6) never, ever use comic sans.
    Dan Gilbert has entered the chat

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Dan Gilbert has entered the chat
    Worked out well for him...

Phil:

How do handle prints?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Phil:

How do handle prints?
    I have a local print shop where I print and ship myself. I donít do tons of volume so this is an easy way to guarantee the quality I want and I get better rates this way.

I have a local print shop where I print and ship myself. I don’t do tons of volume so this is an easy way to guarantee the quality I want and I get better rates this way.
    Thanks.

Epson P800

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die