Who has a website?

I'm going to do a website for my photos. Shopping around, looking for a good deal. No way I'm coding myself. If there's one thing I learned from a few web design courses, is that I'm paying somebody else for the tedious work.

So far, I'm looking at these companies:

Format
    Zenfolio
    Photodeck
    Photofolio
    Squarespace

I like Photofolio, but it's expensive. Maybe Format for value.

There may be commerce, but not a whole lot. I could probably deal with that by email. I'd like a blog, too.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

A non-profit I volunteer for uses WordPress for site development. GoDaddy for hosting. It works - haven't had any issues.

It could be the worst combination out there, but I wouldn't know.
    fun hater.

Grindr wasn't working for you?

Wordpress
    Buy a good template and you can do it yourself.
    Amateur photographer is a common website theme
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

Squarespace seems like it was made for you. Start with a free trial and see how you like it. Not sure about the cost or commerce options, but I'm sure they exist. Look at a bunch of photographer's sites on squarespace to get a feel of what's possible.

SmugMug is SUPER easy to use, and it's pretty cheap too. A bonus is that it offers unlimited storage (I'm sure others do too, but I don't bother comparison shopping since I've been using SM for several years). I use it for my website: www.SteveMokanPhotography.com

I went with Format. Mainly because it's not too pricey, and I don't need a lot, and, I started making a site, and didn't want to start over. Looks good. Just have to be secure with only a help function on the website as your only manual, and, that web design functions don't work like print design software, especially type, and especially when you're working with a template. The humans in chat were kinda worthless, except Dan. Thanks, Dan.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

GoDaddy has a simple template menu that's free to try and super fukking easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    GoDaddy has a simple template menu that's free to try and super fukking easy to use.
    Agree. Just built one for my wife. Looks sharp and works smoothly across all platforms. Currently working on one for myself too.

I've had a couple Wordpress sites over the years and I think it kinda sucks now. Maybe it's just been left behind. Not crazy about the templates. Will avoid in the future.

My main revenue-generating site is built using Joomla. I had a web guy build the initial site for me, but I find it pretty easy to manipulate, add content, control the ads, etc. Not nearly as easy as GoDaddy but that just didn't have some of the functionality I needed.