One Day to Ride in Italy and Austria This Summer....

OK, probably closer to a half-day, but I can stretch it if needed. I'll be on vacation in late June for five days in Austria, and then a week in the Dolomites: specifically the Zell-am-see / Saalback / Leogang area of Austria, and Alta Badia in Italy.

I'm not into riding park, unless the bike park trails are more singletrack-focused. I'd prefer taking a lift to access a big high-alpine ride, doing a few shuttles, or a bigger trail ride and I'm not opposed to climbing if needed. If any mags are locals, I'm more than happy to buy you a beer and lunch to show me the goods. Otherwise, which rides/areas should I look at specifically?

Why only a half day? Short leash on this trip?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

It's not a mountain biking vacation, I've got other plans and I don't want to leave my wife by herself all day. I really just want to get a couple of longer rides in to see what the areas are all about.

We rode a couple days at Bike Park Pagonella in Molveno and it was amazing. 3200' top to bottom with fantastic trail the whole way. Watch the 608 video below. That's the first 1/3 of the way down from the summit and it doesn't really let up from there. Molveno is beautiful, and I can't imagine your wife not enjoying the area. There are also a ton of hikers all over the mountain, riding the lifts and hiking between rifugios. You could meet her at the summit for lunch.......
    https://www.redbull.com/us-en/dolomi...tination-guide

That said, a good friend of mine worked at a bike shop in Selva Valgardena last Summer. He guides in Finale in the Spring and Fall, so if the timing works out I could probably connect you with him. Nicest, funnest person I know, speaks fluent English, sick rider.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    It's not a mountain biking vacation, I've got other plans and I don't want to leave my wife by herself all day. I really just want to get a couple of longer rides in to see what the areas are all about.
    I have a similar trip planned for Israel next fall...wifey said I could get one or two rides in, but it’s not the focus of the trip. I hope you find the beta you are looking for..
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    We rode a couple days at Bike Park Pagonella in Molveno and it was amazing. 3200' top to bottom with fantastic trail the whole way. Watch the 608 video below. That's the first 1/3 of the way down from the summit and it doesn't really let up from there. Molveno is beautiful, and I can't imagine your wife not enjoying the area. There are also a ton of hikers all over the mountain, riding the lifts and hiking between rifugios. You could meet her at the summit for lunch.......
    https://www.redbull.com/us-en/dolomi...tination-guide

That said, a good friend of mine worked at a bike shop in Selva Valgardena last Summer. He guides in Finale in the Spring and Fall, so if the timing works out I could probably connect you with him. Nicest, funnest person I know, speaks fluent English, sick rider.
    That looks pretty bad-ass.... but unfortunately it's about 2.5 hours from where we're staying in Corvara, so I'm not sure it makes sense for this trip.

Yea, I thought it might be more likely to give you an idea of what’s out there. You’re not gonna find a bad day of riding anywhere in Italy.

Selva is like 30min from Altus Badia, I think. My buddy Nick can help you get a bike and find some good trails.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Cool. We were originally going to stay in Ortisei, but just changed over to Corvara since it'll be quieter and will have better access to both Val Gardena and Cortina.

Passing Gardena (Grodner Joch) and Lago Garda
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA4B3686-D2FC-4226-A468-47EA8F84557B.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	417.4 KB 
ID:	310940
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	416B5818-64BE-4174-B69B-DB51CF502B97.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	257.9 KB 
ID:	310941
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix