Visiting Fernie this winter, ride mountain bikes? Help...#boycottparastone

Simon House. Resident asshole capitalist developer in Fernie has shut down a huge section of the Fernie mountain bike trails network and is threatening legal action againts the Fernie Trails Alliance. I wont get into the details, but suffice to say it is not good for local trail users. Do some research online and make up your own mind. Regardless, this is a blow to Fernie trials. Simon has made buckets of money, as have many business owners, with the development of the trail network via the hard work done by volunteers. Please boycott the Tipple Beer and Wine store, Fernie Hotel and Pub and any and all services from Parastone directly. #boycottparastone

Noted- thx for the info!

Getting to and from Big $ was a shit show last summer! Missed ridgemont riding🙁

That's bad news, thanks for the info.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

You should post this in the 2020 Rockies thread as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Kaz is my co-pilot

#boycottparastone fuck that guy. Hes biting the hand that feeds . More and more its 2 distinct tourist seasons in our towns. Our little ski towns now convert to bike towns soon to be on par with skier traffic

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

An update. With letters to and from Parastone.

https://fernietrailsalliance.com/202...-january-2020/

What an insanely heavy handed response. I'll not be supporting this company in any way.
    Good luck fighting the good fight gearhunter!
    #boycottparastone
    ďI tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.Ē
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

So these trails are built on private land, FTA did something (they don’t detail exactly what) that the land owner objected to, the land owner demanded they do specific things to correct it which they say they don’t want to spend the money on. Still seems to be a dearth of details as to why one more little trail, suddenly set off such a drastic action. Sounds a bit like the Kingdom Trails access issue in Vermont where something has been simmering for a while, suddenly came to a head over one more issue. Sure like to know a bit more that ‘an honest, un-intentional mistake’. Not saying that this may not have been a dick move by Parastone, but at the moment I haven’t seen anything more than what FTA is presenting.

No one really knows what happened, other then Simon House is an asshole, which is not in dispute from me. Prior to Parastone taking over managment of the land for the owner (offshore) the Fernie Mountain Bike Club and more recently the FTA had been maintaining the trials in the summer and winter grooming for fat biking with the permission of the previous property owners. These trails have been in use for decades.

It seems once Simon House and his organization Parastone took over managment the problems began. First with Winter grooming being revoked and then with his strip and flip logging under guise of fire protection (my opinion.) While they logged, they did not damage a great deal of the current trail network and assured the FTA that the trails would be buffered, which they were. FTA were also allowed back into the area once the logging was done to re-route and repair trails that had been damaged from the logging.

The FTA had permission from the City of Fernie to build a connector on their land (which borders this private land) so that Space Unicorn could be accessed by families and children. The FTA used a marker that they thought was part of the city of Fernie (as it was marked) but that marker was actually in the wrong place. The trail encrouched onto private property, which is not in dispute. As soon as the FTA realized this they contacted Parastone. This is the result. Up until this point, there has, to my knowledge, never been an issue.

There has yet to be a response from Parastone. They were supposed to release a statement on Monday but it never came.

All the information that has been released so far is in the two letters can be found and read via the link in post#7. There you will find what happened and Parastone's response.
    Last edited by gearhunter; 01-15-2020 at 09:09 PM.

lol-what about the cult community and gondola? do a google search.

From what Iíve seen personally mtn biking the terrain around ridgemont last summer is they will not be cooperating with any users. No surprise, the whole community already knew it. Unicorn horn up the bum....

Oh yeah nobody cares rockies skiers ski west till itís not the Rockies...not south till itís a motana thread.

Stupid exchange rate-brings all types...lol

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    lol-what about the cult community and gondola? do a google search.

From what I’ve seen personally mtn biking the terrain around ridgemont last summer is they will not be cooperating with any users. No surprise, the whole community already knew it. Unicorn horn up the bum....

Oh yeah nobody cares rockies skiers ski west till it’s not the Rockies...not south till it’s a motana thread.

Stupid exchange rate-brings all types...lol
    Heavens Gate. Yup. A Christian 'town' being built with a Gondola. Lol.

I'd disagree that the whole community knew what was going to happen. Why would the FTA waste resources and time if residents knew that they would be shut out? Especially after they were told that the area would open again and that work could be done to repair and re-route with permission from Parastone.

I live and work in the Rockies and I'll ski anywhere there is snow. I am an equal opportunity POW hound. Not sure WTF you are on about...

I hesitate to make suggestions since it suggests the locals can’t think of it for themselves, but if Parastone is just a manager, has anyone tried to contact the actual owners to see if they have any idea of what they are doing in their name? Especially if FTA previously had a good relationship with the owners.