Price check / tips - Evil Following MB

Im going to check this bike out tomorrow in person. Its a 5.5 hour drive each way. Im looking for a full suspension trail/xc bike for the rocky rooty east coast. Anything I should look out for with Evils? Most of the reviews seem great.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2668347/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I test rode a buddy's Evil Following v1 for a few weeks this past spring when I was looking to upgrade. The bike was incredibly capable on the downhill but didn't feel very efficient on the uphill - even at 27 pounds. Others may disagree or it might have been the setup of the rear shock, but I couldn't get it to feel efficient climbing without making it feel harsh on the downhill.

Prior to riding it, it was described to me as a mini DH bike rather than xc or trail. That said, if that's what you're looking for, they are very nice.

Seth

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I only had a 45min test/demo ride, but I’d agree with Seth. Super fun on the down...pay the price going up. Definitely seemed suited to big mountains (like WA.) where you can flip a switch and climb for an hour and descend like a maniac with a grin.

Don’t know where you are, but around here there’s short climbs f/b short up hills...rinse/repeat. I wouldn’t want to deal with flipping a switch on and off my whole ride.

Not apples-to-apples, but here’s a price check:
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Evil-Follo...xclusive-Build

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/e...NhbGU6MToyOg==

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Owned the original following. Agree with the above; fun on the way down, not a great climber compared to other bikes of comparable travel. Even the MB geometry is kinda dated by modern standards. And yeah, price seems a bit high for a used 11 speed setup.

The trails I ride are basically a long fire road up the local ski hill. Then just short down and up trails along the top ridge. But full of rocks and roots. (Ellicottville NY)

The entire bike has 27 miles on it. Thats why I’m interested. Is 11 speed something to avoid nowadays? I priced out all the parts and it comes close to the $6500 build he’s quoting.

Ive seen the Jenson and EVO ones for comparison. The components seem far better on the used one. Plus I wouldn’t have to pay tax and shipping.

Maybe a Ripley is what Im after.

I’m sure you’ll love it.

However many are in a shit ton.

I've had 2 of them. These days I have a quiver, but if I was going to have one bike, the Following would be high on my list. I had some issues with my knees due to the slack seat angle. Maybe the MB makes that a little better. They are super capable and an absolute blast especially when the trails get twisty. I've raced several Enduros on the Following and rarely felt undergunned. Just like others have said, it's surprisingly sluggish on the climbs, but I felt like it was pretty good on short little out of the saddle bursts.

IMO, even if the parts are nearly new it's definitely on the steep side of things for an XT build

I appreciate all the feedback.

I ended up passing on the bike. It was super nice but damn is the seat angle slack. I could not see myself being comfortable climbing in the saddle on it. It made the front end seem disproportionately low with a long reach. Not something I want to chase people with on group rides. If it was $500 cheaper I would have brought it home and attempted to make it work but thats not the right approach anyway. I really wanted it to fit better than it did.

I have my sights on Ibis now. Ripley or maybe DV9 with a trail build. Im open to other suggestions.

Last edited by slowroastin; 01-12-2020 at 01:07 AM.

OP, check out a Ripmo as well.

FWIW, I have a Following MB (XO 1x12) and the geo works for me (long femurs). Great bike if it fits you. Really fun, great handling bike. Handles drops better than a 120/130 bike should.

Kept up with my buddy on the downhill sections, and he’s usually stronger and was on a Ripmo.

I haven’t noticed any issues climbing, but I’m not out chasing a crew. The low front end works for my seated climbing position. Agree with out of saddle - felt great. Like the DELTA suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    OP, check out a Ripmo as well.

FWIW, I have a Following MB (XO 1x12) and the geo works for me (long femurs). Great bike if it fits you. Really fun, great handling bike. Handles drops better than a 120/130 bike should.

Kept up with my buddy on the downhill sections, and he’s usually stronger and was on a Ripmo.

I haven’t noticed any issues climbing, but I’m not out chasing a crew. The low front end works for my seated climbing position. Agree with out of saddle - felt great. Like the DELTA suspension.
    How tall are you and what size are you riding?

The one I checked out was a large and I’m 6’. Looking at the size chart a Medium may feel better.

Met a guy at the bike park last weekend who was first day out on a warranty replaced Carbon Evil Somethingorother. We debated for a few minutes whether to get some tape on it before he scratched it up.
    A few runs in he had a small crash and cracked it again.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Met a guy at the bike park last weekend who was first day out on a warranty replaced Carbon Evil Somethingorother. We debated for a few minutes whether to get some tape on it before he scratched it up.
    A few runs in he had a small crash and cracked it again.

I've got an OG Following and it has been trouble free for 3 years. Climbs like a goat, better than any bike I've had previously. But I can't compare it to newer designs having never ridden any of them. I also can't comment on its ability to handle bike park wipeouts. Doesn't seem like the right tool for that job.

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    I appreciate all the feedback.

I ended up passing on the bike. It was super nice but damn is the seat angle slack. I could not see myself being comfortable climbing in the saddle on it. It made the front end seem disproportionately low with a long reach. Not something I want to chase people with on group rides. If it was $500 cheaper I would have brought it home and attempted to make it work but thats not the right approach anyway. I really wanted it to fit better than it did.

I have my sights on Ibis now. Ripley or maybe DV9 with a trail build. Im open to other suggestions.

Caveat: I haven't ridden this, but it's really tempting me...especially with the price (XT11) and return policy:

https://alchemybicycles.com/product/arktos-29-st/
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    How tall are you and what size are you riding?

The one I checked out was a large and I’m 6’. Looking at the size chart a Medium may feel better.

I’m 6’1” with longish legs, average torso on a L. If you like a taller headtube, you’ll probably want to size up. I could go XL...

Definitely size up on the MB if you’re between sizes. The shred is strong with this one.

I have seen a lot of issues with Evil carbon frames cracking and customer service issues. Anyone know if that has gotten better? Im considering an Evil Calling but got spooked at all the pictures of cracked frames.
    Sent via care package with protective strafe run

They definitely had issues with their early frames but all has been rectified (to my knowledge). I've had a Calling for 1.5 years now and loving it so far.

Yeah, first generation Evils pretty much all cracked. They switched factories and more recent models (so from ~2015 onward) are mostly fine. I'm sure some of them have broken, but I don't think their failure rate is out of line with most other companies on the market.

Good to know. This would be a 2019 so its well outside that first year window.
    Sent via care package with protective strafe run

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    I've got an OG Following and it has been trouble free for 3 years. Climbs like a goat, better than any bike I've had previously. But I can't compare it to newer designs having never ridden any of them. I also can't comment on its ability to handle bike park wipeouts. Doesn't seem like the right tool for that job.
    I still have an OG Following (building back up for a buddy whose bike was stolen last fall) and got an Offering last summer.

The Following certainly stole my heart. Not a mtn goat on the climbs (although I thought it did pretty well if you got out of the saddle, but not a great seated climber) -- my Offering is a notably better climber despite the increase in travel -- but a super poppy and snappy bike on anything with some incline coming down. I loved that on XC rides since I could skateboard ollie off of anything on the trail, it was really playful. That combined with its general way-too-cofident-for-its-travel handling on serious downhills was my favorite. My biggest complaint was the flex in the rear triangle.

My Offering is definitely more DH-ified overall, not as snappy and whippy as my Following was (longer reach & wheelbase) but better overall, esp. climbing. Stiffer, more supple, and more stable on the downs.

If I was a dentist It'd be fun to have a Calling too for a more BMX-bikey feel again.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.