Thread: Indoor skiing

Indoor skiing

Putting the shields up here, let it fly, but, this might be a pretty good idea to get people into skiing. I thought it was a joke before it finally opened (finally!), but, looks like these people have their shit together as far as a business model, which is preparing never evers for the first time on the slopes, in an affordable and easy way. I'll bet Vail and Alterra are watching closely.

https://coloradosun.com/2020/01/09/b...dustry-indoor/

They should offer a weeknight race series , no different than city league but closer to home. Leave home, race, drink beer and be home, all in 3-4 hours.

Kinda like ice rinks survive off of midnight hockey leagues. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Putting the shields up here, let it fly, but, this might be a pretty good idea to get people into skiing. I thought it was a joke before it finally opened (finally!), but, looks like these people have their shit together as far as a business model, which is preparing never evers for the first time on the slopes, in an affordable and easy way. I'll bet Vail and Alterra are watching closely.

https://coloradosun.com/2020/01/09/b...dustry-indoor/
    And learning how to get off the chairlift.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

If the pace continues, Hession expects he will log more than 500,000 skier visits in his first year. Most of them will pay $70, which includes all ski clothing and equipment, time with instructors and two hours on the slope.

(It’s $34 for two hours with your own gear.)

Daayuummm.

Actually it is a good way to learn if you live in a city. And we might all be skiing this way after global warming kicks in. Which might happen earlier with these indoor ski areas burning 3 million dollars of electricity each year.
    . . .

I'm guessing that Vail's carbon footprint is much much higher.

I live pretty close but I honestly was more curious about checking it out before I saw the interior pics when they opened. 160 vert of uniform low angle... it may be more appealing around the middle of June I guess. Hopefully it works at recruiting new people to the sport though

Probably don’t even need a powder skirt in there.

Saw some pics last week. Love how they spent millions on this "skiway" and have a half inch of floppy foam, only 3-4' above the surface, for protection. Someone is going to deck one of those I beams and get really fucked up, maybe never ski again.

Looks like a great place for benny to hang out.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Anyone know about uphill access

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Saw some pics last week. Love how they spent millions on this "skiway" and have a half inch of floppy foam, only 3-4' above the surface, for protection. Someone is going to deck one of those I beams and get really fucked up, maybe never ski again.

Looks like a great place for benny to hang out.
    Hey, if they had soup for lunch it would probably get a lot of you guys down to the swamp.

Having done both (when I lived in the UK) I'm not convinced that indoor snow is much better than outside plastic. Latter is cheaper and for most people in the UK more accessible. Both ok for initial lessons and for dedicated racers (current 17th in the World Cup slalom standings, Dave Ryding, grew up racing on plastic). Unless you are doing some sort of exercises/lessons not very attractive otherwise.

Might be our only choice in the future

There is a place in Bellevue that offers this, but it doesn't compare to the place in CO b/c there's no lift.
    https://www.minimountain.com/indoor-ski-lessons
    bc-lovah

At least it doesn't rain in there. Like Vermont in January.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Anyone know about uphill access
    I admit. I called to ask that question. “Not currently.” was the response.

Quote Originally Posted by divegirl View Post
    There is a place in Bellevue that offers this, but it doesn't compare to the place in CO b/c there's no lift.
    https://www.minimountain.com/indoor-ski-lessons
    That's a carpet belt it's been around since the late 70's. If I was Vail or Epic I would run package deals for beginners for greater NY area with 3-4 inside and a week at one of their resorts. Much better experience at a resort if you can link a few turns together and ride a lift.