Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'naked' alpha direct

Anyone had any experience with this stuff?

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/ca/m...64?cat=46,10,4

https://rab.equipment/ca/alpha-flash-jacket

I'm looking to replace my Atom lt which has been a great mid layer with something of similar warmth but more breathability. Initial obvious choice was the Proton lt from Arc, but they are sold out so I started looking at other stuff. Is this 'naked' Alpha direct of similar warmth to the Atom lt when layered under a shell or is that asking too much?

It will be used the same as my Atom lt was, for stop-start resort skiing/ bootpacking/patrolling with usual temps between freezing to -10c. When colder, or warmer, than those temps I have other layers, so just need this piece to fill that 'middle' temp range.

Alpha direct without a lightweight, air permeable shell fabric is nothing more than very expensive fleece. Buy a 300 weight fleece jacket for like $40 and be done with it.

Or look at something like the Ascendant.

It is just a fleece fabric, as stated above... But it is much more breathable than most fleece fabrics. I own a Norrona alpha direct 'raw' hoodie and one of the Rab alpha direct fleeces.

I love them both for their versatility, but yes, they are definitely an expensive fleece. I do like the fact that they are extremely warm with my houdini over top but when I am moving and I take the wind layer off, they breathe very nicely. Mine have been quite durable as well, I have primarily used them for long trad climbs and more recently a bit of ski touring.

I bought mine because I tend to overheat easily and never wear something like the ascendant while moving.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Alpha direct without a lightweight, air permeable shell fabric is nothing more than very expensive fleece. Buy a 300 weight fleece jacket for like $40 and be done with it.

Or look at something like the Ascendant.
    Yeah it is a very expensive fleece, but it’s cheaper than a shelled alpha, or a synthetic puffy.

Also looking at the Ascendent, but it’s sold out right now on the OR website, that’s when I noticed their naked alpha piece- Which is also sold out.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyFish View Post
    It is just a fleece fabric, as stated above... But it is much more breathable than most fleece fabrics. I own a Norrona alpha direct 'raw' hoodie and one of the Rab alpha direct fleeces.

I love them both for their versatility, but yes, they are definitely an expensive fleece. I do like the fact that they are extremely warm with my houdini over top but when I am moving and I take the wind layer off, they breathe very nicely. Mine have been quite durable as well, I have primarily used them for long trad climbs and more recently a bit of ski touring.

I bought mine because I tend to overheat easily and never wear something like the ascendant while moving.
    Good info, cheers. Sounds like they aren’t as warm as the Ascendent (which I presume is similar warmth to my Atom LT).

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Good info, cheers. Sounds like they aren’t as warm as the Ascendent (which I presume is similar warmth to my Atom LT).

Depending on what you get... The Rab Alpha Freak (for example) uses a thicker alpha direct, so with a wind shell, that would be warmer than the ascendant.

All you're gaining over the ascendant is more breathability (zero wind blocking) and you control when you add a wind proof layer.

I run REALLY hot, so I almost never can wear an ascendant type layer. I usually have an emergency shell and fleece for big routes. I bring a puffy if an unplanned bivy is possible

If you're in Canada I would check out this piece here:

https://www.macpac.co.nz/mens/tops/f...ns/115606.html

It's 90g Polartec Alpha Direct with no backing on either side - like the ultimate mid layer, and worlds more breathable than a standard fleece layer. Unfortunately, they don't ship to the states, but that coupled with a light windlayer would be perfect. And the price is great, too!

'naked' alpha direct

All you're gaining over the ascendant is more breathability (zero wind blocking) and you control when you add a wind proof layer.

It will always be under a shell (unfortunately my only outer uniform option is hardshell, hence why I am searching for max breathability everywhere else) but like the idea I can crack open my pit zips/front zip and dump loads of heat fast.

Another thing is gain is money in my pocket over a Ascendent/nano type layer.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    If you're in Canada I would check out this piece here:

https://www.macpac.co.nz/mens/tops/f...ns/115606.html
    I want that. Does anyone else make something similar to this that we can have in the us?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I want that. Does anyone else make something similar to this that we can have in the us?
    The OR top I linked in my initial post is available in the US for about $90. Pullover not half zip and a bit thicker than the Macpac though.

I almost bought that OR one in your link back when it was on super clearance but I really wanted a zipperless hoody made entirely of alpha instead of having the nylon reinforced areas on the shoulders. Seems like it would be a killer standalone base layer for chilly days and a great mid over a lightweight Merino base for cold ones.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

I almost bought that OR one in your link back when it was on super clearance but I really wanted a zipperless hoody made entirely of alpha instead of having the nylon reinforced areas on the shoulders. Seems like it would be a killer standalone base layer for chilly days and a great mid over a lightweight Merino base for cold ones.
    Yeah man, I think I’m set on that one. Gonna get it ordered when it’s back in stock and I’ll update here with my findings.

P.T. Barnum would love this thread.

you want a standalone base layer for chilly days? get the patagonia capilene air hoody. i cant wear it above 15 degrees its so warm, even with only an ultralight softshell over it.

I have the ascendant. It's naked on the inside with light softshell outside. Which is about as heavyweight as I would want to go for such a piece. Anything warmer and I care more about absolute warmth vs breathability.

For me, it's basically a better fleece. Temperature regulation is just as good, but it's warmer, lighter and has wind protection.

I can tour with it when it's really cold, but mostly it's too warm for that. But I live in the alps and where warm grid style baselayers. It's great as a lifts/downhill midlayer, or top layer even on touring descents. It's nice to throw on over sweaty underlayers, be warm, but not stuffy.

I'm visiting family in CO at the moment and running in the mornings at 10-15F, and it's been great for that too, over aforementioned baselayers.

I don't see a full naked piece in my closet as I would miss the wind/snow protection. A fleece can even have a smooth outer face. I just see full naked as a little snow magnet, and too airy. But if it lived under a shell then it could be great. Lighter and less noticeable than fleece, and a better pass-through for hardshell style breathability.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    you want a standalone base layer for chilly days? get the patagonia capilene air hoody. i cant wear it above 15 degrees its so warm, even with only an ultralight softshell over it.
    That is fabulous!

That is fabulous!
    I should qualify that is when I'm skinning
    can't really speak to how it performs riding chairs or standing still

also, given that it's patagucci, might not be the cheapest option

sorry to distract from the polartec alpha discussion

'naked' alpha direct

I’ve got the Rab Freak and also their alpha lite zip up, both work great, just different weights. Check out https://www.sportpursuit.com for Rab deals

Ps if you run hot just pick up Dryarn baselayers, it’s what all the skimo guys etc use, super light and doesn’t hold water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    It will always be under a shell (unfortunately my only outer uniform option is hardshell, hence why I am searching for max breathability everywhere else) but like the idea I can crack open my pit zips/front zip and dump loads of heat fast.

Another thing is gain is money in my pocket over a Ascendent/nano type layer.

Well, if its always going to be under a hardshell, then there really is no reason not to go with the alpha direct option... No face fabric needed. Save the weight and gain breathability.

You're already going to be wearing a face fabric (your hardshell), so why spend extra money and carry extra weight?

Oh yeah, check out Norrona's offering:

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/produc...ip-hoodie-men/

Oh yeah, check out Norrona's offering:

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/produc...ip-hoodie-men/
    I have this jacket and really like it. It breathes well and provides decent warmth under shell. It’s great for hiking or touring.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Well, if its always going to be under a hardshell, then there really is no reason not to go with the alpha direct option... No face fabric needed. Save the weight and gain breathability.

You're already going to be wearing a face fabric (your hardshell), so why spend extra money and carry extra weight?
    Totally agree, that’s what initially peeked my interest.

Just looking for some warmth comparisons to other more traditional mid layers that I have used

If you're seeking warmer, the Alpha Freak will compare favorably (maybe warmer) than the Atom

If you're seeking warmer, the Alpha Freak will compare favorably (maybe warmer) than the Atom
    Found this old thread searching for Polartec Alpha. How Alpha compares to the old classic Pagatonia R1? Do you think could be similar to it? I have been pointed out to Mountain Equipment ECLIPSE (in Pontetorto) or the Rab Alpha Flash or the Norrona falketind alpha120 (more expensive, and i see Norrona has also a version with Alpha90). It seems the Rab is Alpha Direct while the Norrona "mere" alpha? What's the difference? Also, do you know what are the differences between Alpha and Pontetorto?thanks in advance

Senchi designs is the super hip version.