Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    DWR has been explained repeatedly above. But when the DWR starts to wear off the hydrophilic/hydrophobic nature of the fabric comes into play. Nylon is hydrophilic, it attracts water and it's going to wet out easier than polyester, which varies between a little bit and very hydrophobic (unmodified by DWR, obviously).

Freeride Systems' Neoshell offerings use a face fabric that holds it's ability to bead up and shed droplets longer than anything else I've used. Laundering matters, too: I took off lift grease with tech wash and a q-tip to minimize any impact on DWR. I wish I'd taken a video--scrubbed lightly until the grease lifted and then rinsed under a faucet, and while the detergent is there the water wets out the fabric but as it's rinsed the detergent washes out until it's gone and the water comes out of the fabric (where it had been wetted out) and starts beading up. The DWR is right back to doing its job. MiCol recommends not washing but I wonder if actual hand washing isn't the best approach sometimes?

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Gonna agree with this wholeheartedly based on excellent performance of my dry q elite MH shell year after year. That said, I have yet to try Gore Tex Pro (not pro shell... What a fucked up misdirection play!).

Only other caveat on eVent is that even the thinnest vanilla Gore Tex shell feels warmer (to me anyway). Probably because vanilla Gore Tex doesn't actually breathe by any reasonable standard.
    Agreed with this - pretty happy with EVent. I've used gore pro a bunch - it's fine, but doesn't breathe nearly as well as EVent. It's warmer though.

EVent durability is still TBD for me. So far so good.

I'm really interested in the EVent jackets now, I'm going to have to see if they carry some nearby. I really like to try things like jackets on before spending the money, but being in Montana that's not always easy.

Speaking of DWR coatings, can any jacket material be used with any DWR coating spray, or do some work better for different materials? If they are all the same, which DWR brand/type is your go-to?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

there is water based and solvent based DWR

the water based goes in the water or you spray it on the wet garment out of the washer when still wet

the solvent based you spray on a clean dry garment, I havent used it much, its suposed to be better

I've used a lot of water based DWR, I did grangers and revivex half and half on an arcteryx shell and after 9 months no real difference so i suspect water based DWR is all the same stuff
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Patagonia and REI both running sales now. Good deal to be had on the Powder Bowl jacket, among others.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    there is water based and solvent based DWR

the water based goes in the water or you spray it on the wet garment out of the washer when still wet

the solvent based you spray on a clean dry garment, I havent used it much, its suposed to be better

I've used a lot of water based DWR, I did grangers and revivex half and half on an arcteryx shell and after 9 months no real difference so i suspect water based DWR is all the same stuff
    This is great info, I really appreciate it! I may have to go treat my old jacket until I can catch a good sale on a new jacket this spring.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BD Helio active shell is pretty great as a shell. Light as hell, still very waterproof, breaths better than gtp or regular gt.

Limited on "features" but seems to fit the bill for op

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk