Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gimme the lowdown on I-70 skiing

Gonna meet up with an old buddy and his friends who've gotta slopeside condo in Vail for a week later this month.
    Only time I've ever ski'd in CO was back in the 90s in May, at A-Basin and when Berthoud still had lifts and the shuttle bus pickup.
    Usually ski Squaw/Alpine, the Rose Chutes and enjoying Mott & Killebrew at Heavenly this year, not expecting to find JH or Snowbird gnar, but anything I should definitely not miss?
    Vail, Beaver Creek, Breck, Keystone, Copper; any standouts or just bigger versions of Northstar?
    Thanks
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Abasin and Copper. High Breck but you have to wade through a sea of gapers to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Vail, Beaver Creek, Breck, Keystone, Copper; any standouts?
    no

Vail inc has incredible grooming.

abasin has the skiing
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

ski cooper gots a brand new lift.

If you’ve got ski in/out, I’d just ski there.
    Get up and out of the village early. I typically skied the back bowls until it got congested and then flipped over to the front and skied Highline.
    Apres outside at the Red Lion, watching gapers slide down Pepe’s face is entertaining.

Pretty easy drive to Snowmass/Aspen from there if conditions aren't great. Sometimes Sunlight in Glenwood will get a foot when Vile and Asspain get denied. It would be good on a weekday.

Pretty funny to read people telling someone staying slope side at Vail that they should drive 2 hrs to Aspen to ski teh gnar. Sunlight? plz.

Just ski Vail/BC. There are pockets of goodness, just poke around. Discover it for yourself, it is more fun that way. Look at a trail map.

Then Apres hard.

Definitely hit ABasin. Lots has changed since your last trip. Zuma Bowl, The Beavers and The Steep Gullies (if they’re open). You’ll be happy.

Beaver Creek has some good empty expert skiing...Birds of Prey and Stone Creek Chutes areas.

And people shit on Vail but if you can’t have fun there, you’re doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    if you can’t have fun there, you’re doing it wrong.
    Pretty much goes for any hill with skiable snow. Remember how low the bar was for everybody hunting for turns in october and november, and how nice it was to get the first lift served laps of the year in on the green WRODs?

How long you can have fun before getting bored depends on your skiing style, creativity, and the folks around you. Some ski areas make it easier than others. Somewhere as big as vail should take you much more than a vacation to get bored haha.

Slopeside at Vail, sounds pretty rough. Maybe you can catch a cheap flight to Killington?

If I was at Vail/BC long enough to get a bit bored I'd check out Aspen Highlands and/or Abasin. Or better yet, I'd go anywhere I could hook up with someone who knows a mountain really well who is willing to play tour guide..

Vail has some fun little zones... obviously nothing like we're used to around Tahoe in terms of terrain, but with slopeside accommodations I likely wouldn't leave aside from going to A-basin for a day. It's definitely better / steeper than Northstar.

Yeah, and then just jump on the shuttle to Beaver a few days. There's worse places to be. Like Vermont.

Bring condoms and lube serious cougar hunting starts around 330

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app

Vail on a weekday powder day is damn fun. Hope you get some. Beaver Creek hike to terrain is some of the best

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah, and then just jump on the shuttle to Beaver a few days. There's worse places to be. Like Vermont.
    Beaver is a mountain in Utah. And, there is no shuttle to Beaver Creek from Vail.

But you're the local, right?

Jezuz, try harder. Or drink more. Or something.

Transportation between Beaver Creek and Vail

You have three options to get between resorts. High Mountain Taxi 970-524-5555 or ECO Transit bus or car service. Buses leave from the Beaver Creek Reception Center next to the main gate and the Vail Transportation Center about every half-hour from 6:00 am to 2:00 am. Check the ECO Transit schedule for Hwy 6 East and West to confirm the current schedule. To arrange a car service please contact the Beaver Creek Mountain Lodging concierge.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 01-10-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Be sure to get a Ski Town All Star hat while you’re at Vail. It’s so IN.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Be sure to get a Ski Town All Star hat while you’re at Vail. It’s so IN.
    One of the most annoying trends since fireball.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    ....serious cougar hunting starts around 330 ....
    im in

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    One of the most annoying trends since fireball.
    There are a few ultra rich soccer moms at my kid’s school in Denver who wear those trucker hats around 🤦(and have yellow Rossi Soul 7s in the roof rack)

I can tell you about some Vail/BC trees. Some I can only show.

Vail is absolutely a bigger Northstar. There are some cliffs, stick to Chairs 4 and 11, but some flat landings because it's a flat mountain. I want you to ski A-Basin because I'm from Colorado and would hate for you to get the impression that it's all tame and for tourists. I ski Vail once a year, and I have fun while I'm there, but it's pretty far down on my list of favorite mountains. If you're into BC, check out the Vail sidecountry or Berthoud Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanL View Post
    Vail is absolutely a bigger Northstar. There are some cliffs, stick to Chairs 4 and 11, but some flat landings because it's a flat mountain. I want you to ski A-Basin because I'm from Colorado and would hate for you to get the impression that it's all tame and for tourists. I ski Vail once a year, and I have fun while I'm there, but it's pretty far down on my list of favorite mountains. If you're into BC, check out the Vail sidecountry or Berthoud Pass.
    Insider super secrets