Those Pesky Nigerians

I own a bunch of domains and get a few emails a year trying to scam access into my Godaddy account. Looks like they've upgraded their approach with this attempt and, since I just recently got DocuSign and, because I had just rolled out of bed, this one almost caught me off guard. When I opened it, it went straight to GoDaddy account sign-in with a key logger, no doubt. Thank god these fucks can't spell Ma'am.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scam.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	309846

No kidding. Just did a major wire transfer, and used DocuSign for the contract. Seems like less risky to just write a check and mail it these days...
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

This year I was at a closing at a very reputable title company.

When all the documents were signed and we were waiting for the wire transfer, the funds disappeared mid transit.

Let's just say that shit hit the fan is an understatement.

Former CEO of my company left and started up a new one. A year or so later his accounting person received a text from him telling her to wire $100k to an account number. A day later, another text for an additional $150k. He often asks for things via similarly abrupt text messages and is involved in all kinds of side and non-arms length deals so both of these requests did not seem unusual. Turns out it was a scammer spoofing his cell#. They never got the money back. Perfect case why you always need to verify transactions like that via phone call or separate means of communication.

Yup, my wife got an email from the CEO who was traveling abroad at the time asking her to wire like 40k to a specific account. She was just about to do it since this was not particularly unusual behavior for them but she stopped at the last minute because she got another call that she needed to deal with first. Before she got back to the wire transfer the CEO randomly called her about something else. When she said she was just about to get that wire done for him he expressed some surprise and, sure enough, it turned out that someone had registered an email account that was one letter different than his to scam her. She said they obviously had done their homework as the scam email even used colloquialisms that he (an Australian) commonly used.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Those Pesky Nigerians

Just think, soon it will be possible for them to mimic a persons voice if they can get audio of them... How many people will fall for that one?

I wait for callers to stArt talking, lots of hangups if I stay silent. If they want my voice they going to have to work harder. Totally not foolproof. Probably a good idea to not have ones voice on VM either.

I always ask them to send a picture of their tits before wiring money.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

My office here got scammed out of 18K in November. But, nobody realized it until later.

Our orders group got a message about qualifying to bid on a large project, but we had to send a "refundable" $18k deposit. The order person is kind of inexperienced, and sent the request to accounting. They approved it straight up without any question. (we never paid to bid a job and they know that, so it should have died there).

Earlier this month, the same "company" said they needed another $36k to complete the "paperwork" to send us the RFQ. The orders person sent the request to accounting. They approved it, but since it was over their signature threshold, it needed the GM to sign off. He was, WTF?!?! We don't pay to get on bid lists. When he dug into it, that's when he discovered the original payment.

30min later there was an email broadcast about 3 successful scams corporate wide, and all accounting and orders personnel to pay attention and don't be stupid (my interpretation of the message).

^^ You realize that could have been avoided by asking for a picture of their tits before sending the $$?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I always ask them to send a picture of their tits before wiring money.
    Careful with that axe Eugene.
    watch out for snakes

I agree, Timberridge. Everyone should do this because we all know that if it was the real boss, he/she would fire you on the spot.

I work for a mid size company, about $2B in annual revenue. We had an issue last year with some Ransom ware, talking to our CIO we get pinged 400-500k per day by scammers looking for an entrance into our system. He was talking to someone who works for the state of TX and they said they get hit up to 20M times per day.

I might go back to cash and storing savings in coffee cans in the back yard.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    ^^ You realize that could have been avoided by asking for a picture of their tits before sending the $$?
    Dude, are you like some corporate security uber genius scientist manager? Brilliant! Fuck you Nigerian scammer bastards.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

We should have a contest on who can paste up a convo here of an exchange with a Nigerian scammer and get them to send nude pics of their sister and mother.

^^^ 419eater.com
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    We should have a contest on who can paste up a convo here of an exchange with a Nigerian scammer and get them to send nude pics of their sister and mother.
    Pictures taken from old National Geographic's should be easy to spot?

One would assume. I have saved every nude Nat'l Geo photo since 1936, so there will be no cheating.

Perfect. Then we only need to figure out the prize to be offered for the first person with a genuine picture.

I have a mint condition Smith polarized goggle lens that I could offer up. I'm not sure what frame it goes to, but with some clear packing tape could be attached to just about any frame. It's a helluva lens.

My neighbor Johnny was famous for The Reverse Nigerian,

The nigerians wanted him to build a project for them so a few e-mails a few phone calls, no paper trail or no contract,

they just gave him 64,000 $
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    My neighbor Johnny was famous for The Reverse Nigerian,

The nigerians wanted him to build a project for them so a few e-mails a few phone calls, no paper trail or no contract,

they just gave him 64,000 $
    Was that after he gave $95,000 for fees, etc. in order to get the funds released from a bank?

no they sent him the money cuz they wanted him to build a canopy walkway and he did it

https://www.google.com/search?q=cano...Wo35eag0XfEWM:

But everything was always a shit show, things going wrong, thing stolen, stuff not showing up, labor problems, money problems yadayada, he used to say the Nigerians treat each other so badly, he said could get a lot of work out of them just by paying them & feeding them lunch so they didnt wander off to find food. I duno if he made any money but money was never the driving force for johnny, it was about the project it would end up being an installation
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know