Page 23 of 58 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    The Marlins may not pay minor leaguers but i don’t think there is an organization more threadbare then the Mets. They are a disaster. Making huge money in a publicly financed stadium and they can barely field a decent 1-9. This has been exposed over and over again since Madoff.

As far as revenue and haircuts go, it’s hard to be pro owner when they negotiated a deal and walked it back 60 days later. They suck way more than the players. But if they fuck it up i’ll be weened entirely off pro sports, so i got that going for me.
    I don’t know why JLo & Aroid are having such a challenge in buying them then.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    I don’t know why JLo & Aroid are having such a challenge in buying them then.
    The Cohen sale blew up recently because the Wilpons want to divest while retaining enough control to ensure that they suck in the future.

Thank god I'm a Yankee fan.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

How did it happen that NYC, of all places, is home to two of the stupidest, just plain bad team owners? The Wiipons and James Dolan.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    you are off by 2x

and they only get paid while playing. Minor leaguers make nothing.
    Most Single-A players have to live with host families to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Most Single-A players have to live with host families to survive.
    I read the other day that a minor leaguer salary is around $7,500 a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

If 2020 every does start, we'll be ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    I read the other day that a minor leaguer salary is around $7,500 a year.
    the players in the league bitching about one years salary when the avg salary is at least 500k is fantastic. if it wrecks the league for years to come and causes mlb teams to cut staff and some minor leagues; that's fine; but i'm not sacrificing my money this year.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

That's because their careers are real short, smart guy.

And it's not as though they're getting hired for some nice gig these days when baseball is over in their lives.

But sometimes they get to stay with Susan Sarandon in her prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I love this sport, but this is pissing me off to the point where if I have to listen to MLB vs. players all summer, I'd just as soon they cancel the season entirely.

I'll just watch NASCAR and whatever the NBA puts out if that's all there is.
    They are squandering a gift. Maybe they could have generated a new fan or two under the age of 30.

I watched 20 minutes of motocross yesterday, it was good racing. People are freaking horny for sportsball.

the owners could have just stuck to the deal they offered and had agreed to.

some people will look for any excuse to lick boots.

Lotsa proposals out there for how to construct a partial season and some really wacky ones for how to do the playoffs.

Here's one with a 22 team playoff format. I kinda like it:

https://sports.yahoo.com/commentary-...140010301.html
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

But sometimes they get to stay with Susan Sarandon in her prime.
    In the left hand, Susan's breasts. In the right, The Show. Damn.

The Astros are not on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    They are squandering a gift. Maybe they could have generated a new fan or two under the age of 30.

I watched 20 minutes of motocross yesterday, it was good racing. People are freaking horny for sportsball.
    Right? Such a blown opportunity.

And yeah on the second point; I mean, I watched a nascar race last night. The second such midweek viewing for me in a month!

The Astros are not on the clock.
    Lol.

Did MLB have to pay the NFL to license that little chime when the pick is in or is it just ever so slightly different?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Right? Such a blown opportunity.

And yeah on the second point; I mean, I watched a nascar race last night. The second such midweek viewing for me in a month!

Lol.

Did MLB have to pay the NFL to license that little chime when the pick is in or is it just ever so slightly different?
    I’d just can’t get into car races. And the crashes are not healthy to wait for.
    Some “sports” are only fun to participate in, not watch others.

I’ll just review the draft since I don’t know any of these kids are. But the Sox got a guy named Blaze, so that is something. Looks to have some power.

This image of Claudell Washington was from the year I started collecting cards... I was too young to really know much about him but it was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read the headline. He had some nice seasons. 65 isn't young but is certainly way too young at the same time. RIP

Looks like '87 Topps?

Just read up on him, sounds like a hell of a guy. RIP.

ding ^

And speaking of the 80s, holy shit, Lonely Island has a Bash Brothers bio on Netflix.

I think he played for my og TBS Braves.
    But however fuzzy, I memba. RIP Claudell.

I think he played for my og TBS Braves.
    But however fuzzy, I memba. RIP Claudell.
    Man that takes me back. The only teams you’d see outside of local broadcast and the Saturday game of the week were the TBS Bravos and the WGN Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Man that takes me back. The only teams you’d see outside of local broadcast and the Saturday game of the week were the TBS Bravos and the WGN Cubs.
    Yep. I just had the Braves. Or possibly I just didn’t like the Cubs much.

He had a crazy season for the Braves where he OPS'ed .840 because of plate discipline well outside of his career norms. I always wonder when I see stuff like that how different some of these players careers could have been if coaches were preaching that it was ok to take a pitch back then.

A Janet Jackson inspired Bash tune:

how am I going to get through work when all I want to do is watch this movie?

Ah yes, the good old days...

https://sports.theonion.com/report-8...sen-1819577884

Report: 87% Of Americans Unaware They Have Been Chosen In Later Rounds Of MLB Draft

So maybe this is for the GSD thread, but does this seasons draft portend a different BB structure going forward? Maybe just AA & AAA farm teams? Be good or be gone. I mean, compared to other sports, the draft is ridiculous but necessary to fill out a teams farm system rosters of a lot of players that make a pittance of a salary and likely won't sniff the show. Kinda of a waste. Football has bigger rosters, more injuries and drafts less than baseball (before this year). Dreams die hard in pro sports, why prolong it?

Looks like we will have a season, just as Manfred said earlier this week. Most probably the 50 game sprint the owners can impose and which the players must accept.
    Short article here, love the last paragraph.

MLB Owners Have Made The Same Offer To Players Again

Despite Rob Manfred’s claim that the owners’ next offer to the MLB players would be “another significant move in the players’ direction,” every move in that claim, starting with “another,” turned out to be false.

“MLB’s new offer to the MLBPA for a 72-game season is roughly equivalent to what players would receive in a 50-game season at full prorated pay,” The Athletic reported.

In the same report, Evan Drellich pointed out that increased roster sizes and playoff pay meant an additional $71 million for the players — less than $100,000 per player.

MLB’s new offer to the MLBPA for a 72-game season is roughly equivalent to what players would receive in a 50-game season at full prorated pay, source says.
    — Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) June 12, 2020

Each offer from the owners has fundamentally landed in about the same place: about $1.25 billion or roughly a third of the players’ full compensation for the year.

As the Daily News’ Kristie Ackert pointed out on Friday, it sure seems like the owners are not actually negotiating. Instead, they’re running out the clock until the calendar requires that they unilaterally impose a short season.

Manfred reportedly makes $11 million per year. Every penny of that better be worth it to be remembered as the commissioner who imposed an absurdly short season and permanently alienated the players.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."