Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020 Thread

that looks really fun
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Hell yeah.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

The Indians hid Nicolas Cage in 39 of their lineup graphics last year and didn’t tell anyone. Now they want you to find them.

https://www.mlb.com/news/indians-hid...cage-in-tweets
    I still call it The Jake.

I love this sport, but this is pissing me off to the point where if I have to listen to MLB vs. players all summer, I'd just as soon they cancel the season entirely.

I'll just watch NASCAR and whatever the NBA puts out if that's all there is.

So, maybe somebody could clue me in. I thought a lot of these guys had guaranteed contracts. Are they invalid in times of pandemic? Yeah, the rookies and young guys who never hit long term deals are fucked, but arent the 300 million dollar pitchers OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    So, maybe somebody could clue me in. I thought a lot of these guys had guaranteed contracts. Are they invalid in times of pandemic? Yeah, the rookies and young guys who never hit long term deals are fucked, but arent the 300 million dollar pitchers OK?
    not under the recent owners pr fake deal floated. The owners want to kill the union, kill the minor leagues, and get the Nolan Ryans pumping gas again in the offseason. And that pursuit will kill baseball either way.

Well, yeah, sure, along with all the oligarchs right now turning Americans into slaves, but, a contract is a contract.

In March or April, the Owners & Players agreed that should their be a shortened 2020 season, the Players will be paid on a prorated basis depending on the number of games.

Now the owners apparently don't like this idea any more and have proposed a new salary plan where it's still prorated but the well paid guys like Harper/Scherzer/Trout will get a lower percentage of their big contracts and the scrubs who make the MLB minimum will get a higher percentage of their meager contracts.

My take is whether the Players like the deal or not, what they don't like is the Owners not abiding by the deal they've already agreed on. Not looking too promising for a 2020 season IMO.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    In March or April, the Owners & Players agreed that should their be a shortened 2020 season, the Players will be paid on a prorated basis depending on the number of games.

Now the owners apparently don't like this idea any more and have proposed a new salary plan where it's still prorated but the well paid guys like Harper/Scherzer/Trout will get a lower percentage of their big contracts and the scrubs who make the MLB minimum will get a higher percentage of their meager contracts.

My take is whether the Players like the deal or not, what they don't like is the Owners not abiding by the deal they've already agreed on. Not looking too promising for a 2020 season IMO.
    Scherzer's throwing fucking heat:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MLB2020.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	329993

Owners: "Blah, blah, blah."
    Players: "Blah, blah, blah."

Meanwhile, in this corner doing it right...

https://www.nascar.com/results/racec...-uniforms-500/

No sympathy for anyone but the lowest paid players and MiLB. And MiLB is going to stop paying in June. Some of those guys may not make it back.
    At least they all have a degree in something lucrative to fall back on right? And used cars market has dried up too.
    They’re fucked.

Well hell, it’s not even June.
    Mets release 39 minor leaguers. List in tweet for the two of you fans.
    https://twitter.com/mikemayerMMO/sta...728645120?s=20

MLB's revenue is affected more than any other pro sport if they don't have fans in the stands. Yet the players want their full salaries (pro-rated, of course) and expect the owners to take the entire hit without making some concessions on their side. I'm sorry, but fuck them. They're going to lose a LOT of fans over public negotiation of more money than most anyone else will ever see in their lifetime.

But like someone above, yeah- I feel bad for the minor leaguers and the guys who just made it to the show.

Let's not forget that most if not all teams are receiving a ton of money from all cable subscribers in their market every month, games or no games. That's all subscribers, not just sports fans.

Let's not forget that most if not all teams are receiving a ton of money from all cable subscribers in their market every month, games or no games. That's all subscribers, not just sports fans.
    30% of MLB's revenue comes from ticket sales, according to Baseball America. I guess it would be too easy for the players and owners to just split the loss and agree to play?

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...mic-landscape/

Merchandise and food and beer are big ones that will be hurt. No food beer, merchandise only online. But why buy a hundred dollar jersey to wear at home?

Parking, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    For the Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs gate is 40% of revenue by my quick math, hard to do it when the richest teams will be against it. The Marlins (10%) are the other end. https://www.forbes.com/mlb-valuations/list/
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    30% of MLB's revenue comes from ticket sales, according to Baseball America. I guess it would be too easy for the players and owners to just split the loss and agree to play?

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...mic-landscape/
    the problem is the variance by teams where the richest teams have huge gate $. That these teams will never go for any form of a no-fans season is increasingly my belief.

They will all be judged. Get pissed at owners or players, both will affect revenue down the road. They players have the most to lose as this drags on. Rich owners don't have all their eggs in one basket, they'll be fine as well as those players that have already earned an obscene amount of money.
    Figure it out or fuck off. I really have more important things going on, and the more it goes on the less I miss it.

I reserve the right to recant on the missing it part. Just whatever man.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    MLB's revenue is affected more than any other pro sport if they don't have fans in the stands. Yet the players want their full salaries (pro-rated, of course) and expect the owners to take the entire hit without making some concessions on their side. I'm sorry, but fuck them. They're going to lose a LOT of fans over public negotiation of more money than most anyone else will ever see in their lifetime.

But like someone above, yeah- I feel bad for the minor leaguers and the guys who just made it to the show.
    I have to disagree with you here. The owners are all billionaires running huge corporations pulling in mega dollars. Even the worst sports team is a cash cow.

Releasing 40 minor leaguers who probably make like 50k a year looks so petty and small.

Also, if the company I worked for negotiated a pay cut during COVID then came back and was like “just kidding, we don’t want to do that anymore, here’s a new offer that is worse plus we want to hurt your position long term” is probably tell them to fuck off like the players are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I have to disagree with you here. The owners are all billionaires running huge corporations pulling in mega dollars. Even the worst sports team is a cash cow.
    This is a myth. Many sports teams are expensive diversions for the owners. Sure, the Steinbrenners do well just operating the Yankees, but, many smaller market teams don't.

KC paying all their minor leaguers salary for the season. The freaking Royals can do it, most teams can do it. By most, I mean all except maybe the Marlins.

Don't forget the Draft next month has been shortened from 40 rounds to just 5 to save the Owners money.

And part of the reason teams are cutting a bunch of players is to get ready for the contraction/restructuring of the Minor Leagues next year where they are eliminating an entire league or 2. Less teams = less players.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post

Releasing 40 minor leaguers who probably make like 50k a year looks so petty and small.

Also, if the company I worked for negotiated a pay cut during COVID then came back and was like “just kidding, we don’t want to do that anymore, here’s a new offer that is worse plus we want to hurt your position long term” is probably tell them to fuck off like the players are doing.
    you are off by 2x
    Players at rookie and short-season levels will see their minimum weekly pay raised from $290 to $400, and players at Class A will go from $290 to $500. Double-A will jump from $350 to $600, and Triple-A from $502 to $700.
    and they only get paid while playing. Minor leaguers make nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    KC paying all their minor leaguers salary for the season. The freaking Royals can do it, most teams can do it. By most, I mean all except maybe the Marlins.
    The Marlins may not pay minor leaguers but i don’t think there is an organization more threadbare then the Mets. They are a disaster. Making huge money in a publicly financed stadium and they can barely field a decent 1-9. This has been exposed over and over again since Madoff.

As far as revenue and haircuts go, it’s hard to be pro owner when they negotiated a deal and walked it back 60 days later. They suck way more than the players. But if they fuck it up i’ll be weened entirely off pro sports, so i got that going for me.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi