Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020 Thread

Stanton just drilled a ball off of Tanakas dome. Hope he is ok. I would think a screen would be a good idea, but maybe hard to place with a full pitching mode. Scary stuff regardless.

https://twitter.com/MaxTGoodman/stat...640443905?s=20

got damn that's so gnarly. the sound is sickening.
    bumps are for poor people

I hadn’t really been paying much attention to the new format until last night. DH in the NL! I will not watch a single game of MLB with this bullshit rule.

Farce.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I hadn’t really been paying much attention to the new format until last night. DH in the NL! I will not watch a single game of MLB with this bullshit rule.
    I'm 100% in favor of it. I'm sick of watching NL managers trying to out-think themselves with stupid double switches, horribly-timed substitutions and pinch runners, along with embarrassing attempts by pitchers to swing a bat or bunt. Sure, it's tradition... but it's also ridiculous baseball. Give me a full-time DH in both leagues from now on. It should help with pace of play as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Stanton just drilled a ball off of Tanakas dome. Hope he is ok. I would think a screen would be a good idea, but maybe hard to place with a full pitching mode. Scary stuff regardless.

https://twitter.com/MaxTGoodman/stat...640443905?s=20
    Dude has a thick skull apparently. He says he’s fine.
    https://nypost.com/2020/07/04/yankee...on-line-drive/

A message from God. Kill this "season".

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm 100% in favor of it. I'm sick of watching NL managers trying to out-think themselves with stupid double switches, horribly-timed substitutions and pinch runners, along with embarrassing attempts by pitchers to swing a bat or bunt. Sure, it's tradition... but it's also ridiculous baseball. Give me a full-time DH in both leagues from now on. It should help with pace of play as well.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I don't watch AL baseball for a reason. The DH is that reason.

Pitchers are paid a lot of money to play baseball and a part of baseball is stepping up to the plate and doing what it take to advance the runner.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Dude has a thick skull apparently. He says he’s fine.
    https://nypost.com/2020/07/04/yankee...on-line-drive/
    But also says he’s Batman now. Glad he is ok.

Sounds like Freddie Freeman is really sick.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...er/ar-BB16mbgt

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Pitchers are paid a lot of money to play baseball and a part of baseball is stepping up to the plate and doing what it take to advance the runner.
    Agreed, but they still can't do it.... nor do they care. You can count on one hand the number of NL pitchers who don't look like scared 10-year olds at the plate.

It’s kind of like the kid we stuck out in RF that just stood out there picking his nose and eating it in LL. Batted just as well. Lost AB.

Start the stopwatch on the spike.

Sounds like this may be the last season the Cleveland baseball club is known as the Indians.

As a diehard fan I’ll sure lament the name change for a minute but not so much that it will make any meaningful change in how I cheer for the organization; and if it puts any controversy surrounding the name to bed, so be it.

Replacement names being floated range from absurd to somewhat good but none really seem to hit the mark. I’m sure like any other sports team they’ll come up with some focus group tested nonsense that no one likes.

I say just call em the Tribe but I’m sure that’s a bridge not far enough for some.
    I still call it The Jake.

Betcha merchandise sails for the Indians and Redskins are nuts right now. It's kinda like gun sales when they thought Obama would ban them.

Apparently there's already betting odds on the Tribe's new name:

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/...1-1e653c13132c

The Naps and Spiders are both favorites, as prior names of the club before being renamed the Indians in 1915.

Some other's I've heard floated around today are:

Rockers
    Wild Things
    Walleye
    Captains
    Guardians
    Commodores (after Commodore Perry who defeated the British in a the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812)
    Buzzards
    Buckeyes
    Blues (also a prior name)
    Unions
    Blue Sox
    Great Lakers
    Steamers (yes, please)
    Cuyahogas
    Fellers
    Lumberjacks
    Crows
    Tribe

None of these except the Tribe (which won't happen) really appeal to me, not that it matters as I have zero say in this. Hard pressed I'd say the following would be OK by me: Commodores (they already have the Captains and Clippers as minor league affiliates so this makes too much sense), Blues, Buzzards, Guardians and begrudgingly, Spiders.

ETA: I just heard someone suggest the Dimes in honor of Ten Cent Beer Night. That may work.

Name:  sikh.png
Views: 237
Size:  36.7 KB
    Just change the logo. Problem solved.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

While that would save loads on printing costs, I'm just not sure it'll fly.

Cleveland Titos has a ring to it.

"Indians manager Terry Francona told reporters about a diabolical prank star shortstop Francisco Lindor played on him during practice. Lindor told Francona to clean his hands and handed him what the manager thought was hand sanitizer. However, what Lindor gave Francona was the sticky substance hitters use to get a better grip on the bat."

PS..that shit is really hard to get off.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    While that would save loads on printing costs, I'm just not sure it'll fly.

Cleveland Titos has a ring to it.
    Key arena kept the Key bank branding for years after the bank stopped paying for it. Because it was too to expensive to take down the signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    "Indians manager Terry Francona told reporters about a diabolical prank star shortstop Francisco Lindor played on him during practice. Lindor told Francona to clean his hands and handed him what the manager thought was hand sanitizer. However, what Lindor gave Francona was the sticky substance hitters use to get a better grip on the bat."

PS..that shit is really hard to get off.
    That's fucking hilarious. Way to go, Frankie.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Key arena kept the Key bank branding for years after the bank stopped paying for it. Because it was too to expensive to take down the signs.
    I see this as an expensive endeavor that would normally preclude a name change, but also as a means for the notoriously cheap Dolans to help sell the team. Think of all that sweet, sweet new merch revenue.

Brown Sox? or Midges?

Midges are 1-0 in Postseason play.

It's definitely going to be a heavily vetted super corporate meaningless name. Cleveland United?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi