Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fuck you teacher

New laws taking effect in 2020 will impact schools across California.

Starting next school year, it will be illegal for public schools in the state to suspend students in first through fifth grade for willfully defying teachers or administrators.

Then, from 2021 through 2025, it will be temporarily extended to kids in grades six through eight.

https://www.kron4.com/news/californi...-new-law-says/
    . . .

what does faux news tell you to think about this?

this fucking guy is boring as shit.

They did something like this in Miami-Dade and schools reacted by....... "sending kids home" instead of suspending them.

That said, school suspension are stupid. Look anywhere around the country at suspension data and you'll find that minority students, low income students and students with disabilities are suspended at much high rates than middle class White kids. It's one of the many ways we keep the school segregation train rolling along.

I taught for 11 years in Brooklyn at a school where 97% of student qualified for free or reduced price lunch. In that time I had exactly one student who was uncontrollable. He was a sociopath with got a kick out of threatening to kill his classmates and teachers. Every other kid I taught was generally cooperative if A) I treated them with respect and B) I didn't waste their time. I've since spent time in quite a few schools in multiple States as well as a number of schools around Beijing and this rule is pretty much always true. Conversely, the teachers I've known who are quick to kick kids out of class and then try to keep them from returning, are the sort of teachers who demand respect without deserving it, and frequently talk a lot about how stupid and lazy their students are. Those kids often don't mind being kicked out of class because it beats sitting in front of their insipid, rude teacher for 4 hours a week.

Right wingnut media certainly has no shortage of talking points.

Well, no more Merry Christmas or Happy Thanksgiving, so, I guess, this until, Easter.

I always thought of will full defiance as a skill set.

Granted, its less marketable for minorities and the poor.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post

Lauded at prep schools. Criminalized in many urban schools.

So we’re just doing these clickbait political threads outside of the asshattery subforum now?

lame imho

I thought the title was a typo. Didn't hit the "r" key in your.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    They did something like this in Miami-Dade and schools reacted by....... "sending kids home" instead of suspending them.

That said, school suspension are stupid. Look anywhere around the country at suspension data and you'll find that minority students, low income students and students with disabilities are suspended at much high rates than middle class White kids. It's one of the many ways we keep the school segregation train rolling along.

I taught for 11 years in Brooklyn at a school where 97% of student qualified for free or reduced price lunch. In that time I had exactly one student who was uncontrollable. He was a sociopath with got a kick out of threatening to kill his classmates and teachers. Every other kid I taught was generally cooperative if A) I treated them with respect and B) I didn't waste their time. I've since spent time in quite a few schools in multiple States as well as a number of schools around Beijing and this rule is pretty much always true. Conversely, the teachers I've known who are quick to kick kids out of class and then try to keep them from returning, are the sort of teachers who demand respect without deserving it, and frequently talk a lot about how stupid and lazy their students are. Those kids often don't mind being kicked out of class because it beats sitting in front of their insipid, rude teacher for 4 hours a week.
    Thank you for being a teacher and all that goes with that job.

Thats a right kick in the balls, it was great getting suspended from school and having the week off doing fun shit

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

I don't know that straight suspension is beneficial to anyone, but my best high school grades were when I was in "In School Suspension " and it's, probably, the reason I graduated.

I fully support In School Suspension.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Also a public school teacher here. ISBD is 100% spot on. Kids who are suspended are often the kids who need class time the most and are often lowest performing. Suspending young kids also hurts working class parents who need to give up work time and $$ to watch their kid while out of school. Our school rarely suspends kids unless it is a safety issue or the student has done something involving violence/weapons/drugs.

And teachers who send kids out of class often have shitty classroom management skills and kids get the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    CA law is actually the converse. Students who willfully defy teachers CAN be suspended from the classroom, but stay in school away from the classroom, i.e., an "in school suspension."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    So we’re just doing these clickbait political threads outside of the asshattery subforum now?

lame imho
    this isn't really a political thread, not yet anyway, IMO. Though the OP may have intended to be an asshat by posting it, hard to tell.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Also a public school teacher here. ISBD is 100% spot on. Kids who are suspended are often the kids who need class time the most and are often lowest performing. Suspending young kids also hurts working class parents who need to give up work time and $$ to watch their kid while out of school. Our school rarely suspends kids unless it is a safety issue or the student has done something involving violence/weapons/drugs.

And teachers who send kids out of class often have shitty classroom management skills and kids get the blame.
    Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    CA law is actually the converse. Students who willfully defy teachers CAN be suspended from the classroom, but stay in school away from the classroom, i.e., an "in school suspension."
    The Miami-Dade rule didn't allow kids to be sent home. It was simply widely violated. I'm only speculating, but I suspect this happened because the suspension ban wasn't accompanied by any requirements or resources for developing a new way of dealing with the kids who previously would have been suspended. Some schools, which were probably doing a pretty good job to begin with, probably developed new systems. Others didn't and just lied about what was going until they were caught. One school suspended 40% of it's students one year, then claimed zero suspensions the next but had a massive jump in unexplained absences. Hmmmm.

After this fiasco they developed "Student Success Centers" where kids who had been removed from class (but not suspended... or something) were supposed to get homework help in a peaceful environment. In fact those "Student Success Centers" were nothing more than detention centers with no instruction whatsoever. Plus students sent to the success centers could receive no transportation or after school care so many parents were faced with the choice of missing work or having there kids marked absent from... jail. And of course students of color were sent to these shit holes at a much higher rate than White students.

Hopefully CA can do better.

Lock them in the janitor's closet. Or is that not legal?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Heh, it says a lot that OP believed there would be outrage over rules that 6 year olds couldn't be suspended from school for defying their teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    this isn't really a political thread, not yet anyway, IMO. Though the OP may have intended to be an asshat by posting it, hard to tell.
    Hard to tell? You’re joking right? CS has been our resident Hannity lately.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Hard to tell? You’re joking right? CS has been our resident Hannity lately.
    was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, because he used to seem less, ahem, unhinged.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Lock them in the janitor's closet. Or is that not legal?
    Then the servers overheat...or something.

It's all fun and games until some kid gets his dick cut off by the box fan in there.