Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

"Power skiers", what are you skiing?

I was recently described as a "power" skier by a wise old man. Not quite sure what this means but at 6'3, 205lbs and spent a fair amount of time in the gym I guess it makes sense. I think this means that I tend to ski through bumps and crud vs finessing my way around. I know I like to ski hard and fast but beyond that I don't know how to describe my skiing. My skis right now are 50/50 resort/touring skis so they're all on the lighter side. I was thinking of picking up purely resort skis and going with something heavier. So, other "power skiers", what are you skiing?

6'3" and 205? Maybe something like a 202 cm Cochise . . .

193 Super Goats

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    6'3" and 205? Maybe something like a 202 cm Cochise . . .
    The 202cm Cochise exists, it’s the 202 Ranger 108, but seriously it is hard to find a big guy pow ski.

I’m the same height but 10lbs heavier. Finding a good pow ski is actually not that easy since they are made to be 3-5cm taller then the skier and there are very few skis over 195 cm.

The Mindbender 116C was really awesome until they broke.

The 193 Volkl Shiro is pretty rad but at our size more on the playful side of things.

The 203 Shiro is an awesome pow charger, but defiantly not light, but has no speed limit. A friend whose 5-6 160lbs sent a double to a quadruple cause they are so fast and stable.

Same with the 202cm Fischer Ranger 108, big fast and stable.

Stock Praxis Protests are pretty rad. My 4 flex are too stiff for what I want them for.

Interestingly enough I really liked the 192 Armada ARV JJ as an every day ski, but didn’t get it to too much pow since the back half of last season was pretty dry.

The 194cm Praxis Quixote was fun 95% of the time, 5% of the time they wanted to kill me. Read the thread about them if you want info.

Pretty much look for something stiff over 192cm in length and 115mm wide. Hopefully they don’t weight a metric shit ton, but if you want them to be durable they will weight a ton.

6’1 205...currently 191 Katanas..previous 193 Shiros

202cm Cochise.
    Red top sheets
    . . .

6’3 and only 205. Do you even lift, bro.?

200cm Stockli Stormrider Pro, the ski might be about 5-6 years out of production at this point. The 200cm can be found, the 190 is elusive. Only two lengths the ski came in. Metal top sheet iirc, damp as fuck

I'm a similar size and ski style. I have had good luck with the OG 193 Cochise and now the 192 Legend Pro. My Powder skis are 196 Praxis Protest and 192 GPOs, both heavy stock builds. I ride a 187 Bonafide for groomer zooming and general shitty snow shredding.

I am interested in skiing the 191 Mantra 102 & M5, Supergoats, 189 Metal Wrenegade, 193 Volkl Confession, 196 Bodacious.

There are some older Austrian built metal layup skis worth trying to find as well; Katana, Shiro, Kastle BMX & FX, Stockli Stormriders.

Challenge is... for the past 5 years the 190+ 2200g+ metal layup market has been dwindling.... stock up now.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

The red ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

196 bodacious fits the bill and can be found for a reasonable price.

190 OG Squad 7 -1.5cm
    190 Bibby Pro
    191 Billy Goats

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm 6'3" 220 and love to charge inbounds with my 196 Moment Governors, 196 4FRNT Renegade, and 193 Black Crow Corvus. I recently switched up my touring quiver and am liking my 191 Voile Chargers. The main common element between all these skis is stiff tails.

I also had a hard time finding touring boots that didn't just fold over. I use Dalbello Lupo SPs inbounds, so I went with Dalbello Factorys and really like them. The tongues are a bit annoying but I'm still the fastest transitioner in my crew. And at our size, a few extra grams aren't that big of a deal.

Sent from my SM-N970U using TGR Forums mobile app

2nd the 192 LPs, buy LWS’s pair. I’m 6’2” 240 and they’re all I’m looking for in an everyday ski. You can rage or be mellow I’m on 194 Quixotes for powder days, if you stand on both feet they stay very well behaved. I did get flushed off a cliff once but that wasn’t the skis fault.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

As one power skier to another, your mom.

196 Bodacious should do the trick.

This is why I'm happy being 6ft4 and only 80kg.

ffs..... praxis rx

6’2’’ 215lb human here

soft snow
    194 el dictator (low tide)
    189 bmx105 (high tide)
    softer and surfier than below, quickier edge to edge, plenty long, more rebound and pop/life.

fast snow
    185 wailer 105 T2 w/ special sauce (low tide)
    191 monster 108 (high tide)
    bombs away vert eaters. Stiffest and dampest Skis.

bad vis/bad snow
    184 monster 108
    More manageable than fast skis, make bad snow ski really good, and remove unseen issues in very flat light

all similar length and width. But different feels. And also means I never have the “wrong” ski.

Touring
    188 RMU YLE 118
    softer and surfier. light boots and pow. Pretty much only 1-and-done dawn patrol or lunch lap tours these days

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    6’2’’ 215lb human here

soft snow
    194 el dictator (low tide)
    189 bmx105 (high tide)
    softer and surfier than below, quickier edge to edge, plenty long, more rebound and pop/life.

fast snow
    185 wailer 105 T2 w/ special sauce (low tide)
    191 monster 108 (high tide)
    bombs away vert eaters. Stiffest and dampest Skis.

bad vis/bad snow
    184 monster 108
    More manageable than fast skis, make bad snow ski really good, and remove unseen issues in very flat light

all similar length and width. But different feels. And also means I never have the “wrong” ski.

Touring
    188 RMU YLE 118
    softer and surfier. light boots and pow. Pretty much only 1-and-done dawn patrol or lunch lap tours these days
    Enjoying those Kastle’s? Hope so.
    Was going to recommend them here the other day. It could be a great ski for him since he’s reaching up, on advice - instead of seeking it out of need on his own (which is fine). Meaning, I think the bmx is a great ‘intro’ to power skis. It’s pretty complete and not unruly.

Been meaning to pm you.

love them. Such a good ski. really surfy for what it is, Skis like a skinny OG lotus 120 in soft snow. Smooth, composed, responsive. Very rewarding and fun.

not quite heavy enough to stay glued to snow at the speeds one can reach at Snowbird on buffed bluebird days, but the weight and construction match the shape really well for me

like the mid-sized turn radius, no downside there, and agree, great rec for the OP

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I’m the same height but 10lbs heavier. Finding a good pow ski is actually not that easy since they are made to be 3-5cm taller then the skier and there are very few skis over 195 cm.

Stock Praxis Protests are pretty rad. My 4 flex are too stiff for what I want them for.
    I'm surprised at 6'3, 215 you're saying the 4 flex is too stiff. Isn't the 4 flex "standard" for the longer protests? I should be getting the 193 MVPs in a 4 flex in the next couple days, hoping they're not going to be too stiff now.

brundo,

When you say "resort ski", what are the typical conditions? On/off piste, all off piste, lots of heavy snow..............? This info would very much help the discussion.

Thread drifting my own thread...what are people's thoughts on a powerful ski vs a powerful boot? Was just thinking, if you have a large human on "powerful" skis it's not going to do any good if you don't have a good connection point, ie your boot. Currently on mtn s/labs and debating what would be the better investment

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    brundo,

When you say "resort ski", what are the typical conditions? On/off piste, all off piste, lots of heavy snow..............? This info would very much help the discussion.
    Almost all off piste, I'm in the group of folks that think groomers are just ways to get back to the lift. Snow is on the heavier side here in the PNWet but I'll be moving back to idaho/montana soon so snow will be much lighter there. I'd say I spend most of my time in the trees or in chopped pow. Not much of a spinner/flipper but do 20-30 foot drops on a softer day. I have 193 MVPs on their way and 188 Noctas (old Noctas w/ rocker-camber-rocker). The ski I'm looking for would most likely replace the Noctas for resort and leave the Noctas for touring.