Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

"Power skiers", what are you skiing?

193 MVPs in a 4 flex ski like an egg noodle compared to some of the recommendations earlier in this thread. A quintessential playful charger IMO.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 01-09-2020 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    Been meaning to pm you.

love them. Such a good ski. really surfy for what it is, Skis like a skinny OG lotus 120 in soft snow. Smooth, composed, responsive. Very rewarding and fun.

not quite heavy enough to stay glued to snow at the speeds one can reach at Snowbird on buffed bluebird days, but the weight and construction match the shape really well for me

like the mid-sized turn radius, no downside there, and agree, great rec for the OP
    Good to hear they found a happy home. Grabbed the new 106 version w/o metal and I’m stoked so far but I’d say the ski is not in the power camp any longer. Power for a 2100g ski. Killer DD or travel ski w/ shifts..

That's helpful. I'm only 5'11" but coming in at about 220lb at the moment and ski with the same fundamental strategy, so understand your issue. If you want a Nocta replacement (floaty) I would really look at the Moment Chipotle Banana or Commander 118/124. Haven't been on any of them but everything I've read and heard sounds like they would really fit the bill. They come in adult lengths as well. Along those same lines there are Renegades, C&D's/BG's.

I had a pair of MTN Labs and liked the way they skied but they just didn't fit my foot very well so have moved on to XTD 130's for touring and want to try XT Free Pro's for 50/50 use. Have a pair of Striders that I'm going to try with Zips as soon as we get any snow.

Think your question of the boot is a good one. Also think since you’re in PNW the Billy Goat should be on your short list.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    That's helpful. I'm only 5'11" but coming in at about 220lb at the moment and ski with the same fundamental strategy, so understand your issue. If you want a Nocta replacement (floaty) I would really look at the Moment Chipotle Banana or Commander 118/124. Haven't been on any of them but everything I've read and heard sounds like they would really fit the bill. They come in adult lengths as well. Along those same lines there are Renegades, C&D's/BG's.

I had a pair of MTN Labs and liked the way they skied but they just didn't fit my foot very well so have moved on to XTD 130's for touring and want to try XT Free Pro's for 50/50 use. Have a pair of Striders that I'm going to try with Zips as soon as we get any snow.
    Yep, I'd be looking @ (actually, I am) the Commander series. 124 looks to be very similar(hopefully better) to the big dude GOAT ski, the Head Boneshaker

6'4, 230. Kastle MX98 in 194 for my everyday ski, one of the best skis I've ever skied. Do your job and it's like a freight train wearing a snow plow. But anything more than 8-10in of fresh and it's kind of an anchor for my fat ass. For deep days I'm still shopping since I snapped my old Lotus 120's at the end of last season.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Being a heavier skier that spends time in the gym I've always liked Dynastar's freeride skis...currently have Dynastar Pro Rider 105:

https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...-pro-rider-192

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Thread drifting my own thread...what are people's thoughts on a powerful ski vs a powerful boot? Was just thinking, if you have a large human on "powerful" skis it's not going to do any good if you don't have a good connection point, ie your boot. Currently on mtn s/labs and debating what would be the better investment
    I’ve never skied mtn s/labs but I think the stated flex is 120. Id bet a three piece boot with the stiffest tongue will be a little more powerful, and an overlap 130 boot will be even more powerful. If your folding over those s/labs, buy an inbounds boot that your foot likes...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Thread drifting my own thread...what are people's thoughts on a powerful ski vs a powerful boot? Was just thinking, if you have a large human on "powerful" skis it's not going to do any good if you don't have a good connection point, ie your boot. Currently on mtn s/labs and debating what would be the better investment
    Reality is, the boot is your most important piece of equipment.

196 Renegade
    194 Devastator

The older models of each.

195 volkl kenda, used, at gearhub in fernie BC. $200? CND ~ $150 US

I think drilled once. looks in good shape

Fellow Clyde.. checking in. 6’2” 240ish depending on the season.

Boots should be your first acquisition. Real boots. Alpine boots. Custom fit if you can swing it. Then snag a pair of Look p18s. Next stride into your local secondhand gear store and pick out those big heavy fuckers in the back collecting dust, preferably from a brand that also makes World Cup race skis.

I’ve kind of become a head fanboy. Monster 108s wail.. and have unbelievable edge hold. Never skied the bone shaker but the A Star is maybe my favorite ski of all time, destroys chop, and rips steeps. Head if you are reading this my all time dream ski would be a 190 monster 108 with the shape of the A star.

I tried to get on the 4frnt bandwagon last year, bought 194 devastators and 189 ravens, hated them both. Devastators felt like they were only gold for one thing.. going straight and hitting big jumps.. fine if you only ski wildcat at Alta, but Not for me. 4frnts seem to be built for a very specific skier, and it ain’t me.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

My 4 flex Protests just don’t seem to have very much tip rise in them, they just submarine and I have to sit in the back seat to get the tips up. Maybe it’s the carbon that was added, maybe it’s something else.

If you are large, don’t be afraid of the 203 Volkl Shiro, they are becoming unicorns, but if you can find a pair, they are amazing. First pow ski I could put forward pressure on and they just did exactly what I wanted. So so so much fun. I say a pair for sale in SLC FB marketplace.

Also, get real boots, these sidecountry/Freeride boots just aren’t built for large humans. I have the Lange XT Free Prob (140flex) and the Head Raptor 140 RS, and the Lange is a noodle compared to the Head. The XT Free Pro is a fine touring boot, but for riding chairlifts, the Heads are in a different league.

Find an old pair of 198 Rossignol RC112s. They're big, stiff, heavy, cambered with tip rocker, flat tailed, and have a bunch of metal in them. If you find yourself overpowering those skis you're be the first i've heard of.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Fyi There’s a 130 flex tongue available to the public for fulltilts now. They call it “12”.

This guy is hoarding all the old skis we want... (use translate)
    https://www.skipass.com/news/150396-...e-legende.html

My self, at 6'4" and between 190-200, I've been happy with:
    196 protest
    SuperBros
    193 Billy Goats

I have a pair of 189 down 114s that i need to mount up and take for a spin.. think i might prefer the 196 or heavy build a bit more though

Still looking for a 190+ 110ish gun with metal... will probably pull the trigger soon on a pair of 110tt Stormriders
    would also love to find something like mx98/89 as an eventual replacement for the superbros

"Power skiers", what are you skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    193 Billy Goats

I have a pair of 189 down 114s that i need to mount up and take for a spin.. think i might prefer the 196 or heavy build a bit more though
    I’m 6-5, 210 & have the 196 Down CD 114
    If you are in love with the 193 billy goat, the CD 114 is going to feel not burly enough. If you think the BG is a tad heavy, then you will more likely like the CD 114

Re OP
    I’m enjoying the 193 Corvus

Next years 191cm Nordica Enforcer 115 Free is awesome for me. Felt and looked a bit small, but didn’t ski that way. It was really nice to be on a shorter platform that was very stable and let me ski big.

I’m giving the Kastle BMX 115 a shot today. I’ll be back on how they feel. We don’t have crazy deep pow any more, but enough soft snow is left over for a test ride.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Next years 191cm Nordica Enforcer 115 Free is awesome for me. Felt and looked a bit small, but didn’t ski that way. It was really nice to be on a shorter platform that was very stable and let me ski big.

I’m giving the Kastle BMX 115 a shot today. I’ll be back on how they feel. We don’t have crazy deep pow any more, but enough soft snow is left over for a test ride.

Cue anticipation...

That's on a short list next to mb116, and not sure what else...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Cue anticipation...

That's on a short list next to mb116, and not sure what else...

Haven’t had a chance to get the BMX 115 out. They are heavy with P18s, like heavy heavy. We have been hiking a bunch and I’ve been grabbing my MB 116 with Kingpins. The MB116 is truly awesome. It skis so freaking well. I just hope this pair last more then 5 days.

I will try to get on the BMX 115s soon. Just need a day where we are riding the tram all day instead of hiking a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Haven’t had a chance to get the BMX 115 out. They are heavy with P18s, like heavy heavy. We have been hiking a bunch and I’ve been grabbing my MB 116 with Kingpins. The MB116 is truly awesome. It skis so freaking well. I just hope this pair last more then 5 days.

I will try to get on the BMX 115s soon. Just need a day where we are riding the tram all day instead of hiking a ton.

What happened to 1st pair?

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    What happened to 1st pair?
    Delaminated under one of the feet after 5 days. Too sheet popped off the core.

No worries man, maybe Luke can chime in with an A/B of the new FX and BMX.

From a superficial standpoint I dig the darker colors on the FX. The black and red FX85's that were 199 on Sierra last year have probably the best looking topsheet I've seen those stuffy old Austrians produce.

6'1 x 180 - old fool.

184 98 Monsters. Low tide variable and groomers.
    192 Pro Riders. Anything at the club fields.

187 Protests. Powder - touring and clubbies.
    187 MVP. Touring.

184 Fischer 102fr. Travel ski with cast.