Anyone have the ability to order from Wintersteiger?

I have a wintersteiger vise that has the ability to add blocks that will clamp a snowboard. I have the part number but they won’t sell direct to the public. I looked into it a year or two ago but got a stupid expensive quote from a shop for something like $250.

Here’s what the vise looks like. The blocks mount in the two holes on either side.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1578522563.823113.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	309693

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Stupid expensive is probably what it costs (even for a shop), almost everything for a back shop or boot lab is.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Stupid expensive is probably what it costs (even for a shop), almost everything for a back shop or boot lab is.
    I was lucky enough to get this setup for next to nothing when Sports Authority closed. I might have to try to fabricate my own.

try travis@utahskigear.com

or

801-413-8009

I got my wintersteiger binding drill bits from his ebay shop. he might not quote you 100% markup like a local shop would. so that $125 x 2 might be less painful.

Quote Originally Posted by denim_nerd View Post
    try travis@utahskigear.com

or

801-413-8009

I got my wintersteiger binding drill bits from his ebay shop. he might not quote you 100% markup like a local shop would. so that $125 x 2 might be less painful.
    Thanks for the lead. I’ll reach out to him. If it still expensive I think I have a plan to extend the ski clamps up to hold a snowboard.

I've got access to a mill and could make something pretty easily if you can get me good measurements on what you need. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Know anyone with a 3d printer? Library even?

I would get some round steel stock close to the diameter of the holes and cut those into 3.5-4” lengths. Then drill sideways into 2x4 scrap about 3”. Put a little epoxy in the 2x4. You just saved about $243 and can clamp a snowboard. The 2x4 should be soft enough to hold a board without marring it.

Thanks for the ideas so far. I found the old emails I had and the quote I had received was from Utah ski gear for $375, WTF!?!?

Fabricating it on a 3-d printer would be way cool, but I'm not that savy. My current plan is to get a 1/8 x 1" flat piece of steel and apply a rubber strip to that. This will stick up above higher than the ski jaws and should be able to secure the board that way. Only downside is that I have to screw and unscrew the piece to switch between tuning a snowboard and ski, but that's not a huge deal. I had been thinking about something along the lines of what Conundrum suggested, but I hadn't thought of the wood block idea. That may be plan B.

I'll try to post some pics of the progress. The upside is I get to buy a drill press to drill through the steel. I've been needing one for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    I'll try to post some pics of the progress. The upside is I get to buy a drill press to drill through the steel. I've been needing one for a while now.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MSJST4R...v_ov_lig_dp_it

What I'm probably buying at some point to replace the POS Delta I got off Craigslist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I’ve got the cheap WEN press and have been very pleased with it so far

Well, now that we've shifted gears, any thoughts on an 8 inch vs 10 inch press?

I don't usually like getting power tools from Harbor Freight, but I was thinking about going that route for a drill press. The Wen's are pretty cheap, so maybe that would be worth it.

what are you doing with the vise?
    as in what are you using it for?
    only asking because if it's for anything other than mounting actual skis its pretty useless vise (we have one and really that's all it gets used for) for snowboards i can't see what any of the attachments are going to do that a regular "T" vise would be able to do
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

I fabricated some blocks for mine as mentioned above. 2x2 wood blocks, and epoxied in some threaded rod segments to match the bores in the vice. I added mastic tape pads to help hold the board in place. Works pretty well. Not as good as the original vice blocks, but at those prices it wasn't even an option.

I would like to buy a new roller/wax reservoir for my shop roller if anyone can order. $130 seems steep

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    what are you doing with the vise?
    as in what are you using it for?
    only asking because if it's for anything other than mounting actual skis its pretty useless vise (we have one and really that's all it gets used for) for snowboards i can't see what any of the attachments are going to do that a regular "T" vise would be able to do
    Using it to clamp a snowboard.

Well, now that we've shifted gears, any thoughts on an 8 inch vs 10 inch press?

I don't usually like getting power tools from Harbor Freight, but I was thinking about going that route for a drill press. The Wen's are pretty cheap, so maybe that would be worth it.
    I saved the 10" on my Amazon wish list for a reason, but I couldn't quite remember why. Capacity wasn't the only reason. Looking again, I think it was a combination of the built-in light and laser (which apparently can be made fairly accurate), cast iron work table, and, especially, the rack and pinion height adjustment. Capacity-wise, the chuck is an extra 2" farther out--that's what the 8" vs 10" measure is. That is, drilling a hole 10" from the edge of your board/workpiece vs 8". And then an extra 1/2" on the stroke/depth, which seems more important for my use (e.g. drilling deeper mortises). All that seems worth the $50, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Jerlane, I've got this vise in my shop and, as waxman above, I use it solely for mounting bindings & installing inserts etc for which it is superb. But it sucks as a tuning vice and especially for boards as it sits to far in to the bench for easy base scraping and there's no way of putting the board up on edge for edge tuning. For hand tuning Jaws of Beast vise sets for skis and I've got a couple of Kunzmann Starfix board vise sets for boards: https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index...et-detail.html

If you do want to use it for waxing/scraping a board then simply put a short length of 10mm diameter wooden dowel in to the four holes to grip the board.
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 01-10-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Using it to clamp a snowboard.

fuckin duh, but do what? as in what do you need to clamp it for that can't be done with a less expensive alternative?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Anyone have the ability to order from Wintersteiger?

For scraping wax and edge work. It’s a pain scraping unsecured skis and boards.

For scraping wax and edge work. It’s a pain scraping unsecured skis and boards.

well in that case let me help you out, the attachment you seek will not help for edge work as it isn't a very positive grip plus it sticks up and would get in the way of any file or guide i've ever seen
    no comment on the scraping unsecured skis and boards as i use a basic "T" vise on the bench at the store and only wax and scrape a couple dozen skis a day....
    fire

rails are for trains

www.theguideshut.ca

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    We got them benches at our retail stores
    I can go to wintersteiger and buy stuff for the company
    I don't like to work on those benches
    Cept base work Evan that other vices are better
    Mounting I prefer the basic wood block underneath support and a flip dump and slap the kerf mung hole removal method over the shop vac or having to undo the vice
    Do you have the ability to legally purchase thc?
    If so I can probably aquire the part for the pro bro bench ya scored when the authority of sports swirled down the shitter
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

/end thread.....lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    We got them benches at our retail stores
    I can go to wintersteiger and buy stuff for the company
    I don't like to work on those benches
    Cept base work Evan that other vices are better
    Mounting I prefer the basic wood block underneath support and a flip dump and slap the kerf mung hole removal method over the shop vac or having to undo the vice
    Do you have the ability to legally purchase thc?
    If so I can probably aquire the part for the pro bro bench ya scored when the authority of sports swirled down the shitter
    Thanks, SFB. I appreciate the offer. I’m going to try to DIY a mod myself for now. I’ll let you know if I fail miserably and need your help.