Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WTB: Kastle MX98 184cm

I just tried them the other day and I’m absolutely obsessed. I was asleep at the wheel when a pair got offloaded here a few months ago. Please let me know if anyone’s parting ways with theirs. Condition 7/10 and up, flat or with binders.

Interested in 194s?
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Interested in 194s?
    If I ever man up and put on big boy pants, yes.

Interested in 194s?
    Didn’t you just buy these from me?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post

yep already in search of a backup pair because I loved them that much

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastgroomers View Post
    yep already in search of a backup pair because I loved them that much
    Keep an eye on eBay, that’s probably your best bet. If not the MX 99 is supposedly almost as good, but a bit easier to ski, or that’s the rumor.

Keep an eye on eBay, that’s probably your best bet. If not the MX 99 is supposedly almost as good, but a bit easier to ski, or that’s the rumor.

Yep I've already run a few searches. I also spoke with a Kastle rep in CO this morning to see if they had anymore laying around and he said they sold their last pair a month ago. He also said the 99's aren't AS stiff but they're close and possibly slightly more forgiving. Eh. Have you tried the 89's?

Yep.
    I can drive them if don't fuck around at all.
    Which is good as it enforces good habits.
    But recently, I did pick up a pair of 184s which will likely be my unicorn daily driver.
    I've been on the 188 roundtail for years and love it.
    The 184 squaretail has a bit more shovel (6mm) a touch more tail (1mm) a little smaller radius (27.5m vs 27m) and more camber.
    Looks more serious, but maybe more versatile as well?

At 150# the big dog 194s are big.
    Might do a catch and release.

It is nice to have all three pairs on the wall though.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Yep.
    But recently, I did pick up a pair of 184s which will likely be my unicorn daily driver.
    The 184 squaretail has a bit more shovel (6mm) a touch more tail (1mm) a little smaller radius (27.5m vs 27m) and more camber.

That’s the difference between the first and second gen MX 98s. The first gen you can’t relax on ever, the second is a little more relaxed. I’ve had my new gen 2 98s out one day and it’s amazing how much fun they are.

I’m sure someone will pick them up from you. Enjoy

I wish I'd snagged a few backup pairs when I got mine. Didn't know how much I'd love them until about 10 days in on various conditions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yep.

150 lbs on 194s. God bless.

I know nothing about these but have seen them sitting on local craigslist for awhile now: https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/s...049017928.html

Holy shit thanks. And LOL how ironic - I’m from Washington Heights but live in California now. Thanks for flagging this!

First and second gen MX 98s. The reds are different, the top sheet graphic is different, and the first gen is a lot stiffer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4183.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	309968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4184.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	309969

Any rocker difference?

Life of a repo man is always intense.

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    Any rocker difference?

Not sure, I think so. The gen 2s are easier to ski, that’s for sure.

Been looking for a pair of the 184 as well, grabbed a 174 pair of second-gen in the meantime. Looking forward to trying 'em out, wonder how similar they are to Rossi Experience 100. Like the Rossi a lot, but expect to like the larger turn radius of the MX more.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Been looking for a pair of the 184 as well, grabbed a 174 pair of second-gen in the meantime. Looking forward to trying 'em out, wonder how similar they are to Rossi Experience 100. Like the Rossi a lot, but expect to like the larger turn radius of the MX more.
    The 18X Rossignol Experience 98s we have for friends to use are stiff as F***. I was amazed at how stiff they are. The 194cm MX98s are defiantly softer and I feel are a more well rounded ski, they are easier to ski everywhere, but just on groomers.

Don't remember for sure, but seem to recall they softened the ski a bit when it became the 100, never tried the 98. Definitely not a pow ski despite it's ample width, but a pretty awesome ski for mid-Summer prices, especially if you're a smaller guy and get the chick-topsheet "Temptation 100".

Also grabbed a used FX95HP, expect they'll rule shallow crud and mank at the expense of groomer carving. Looking forward to them, being stout, heavy, and quite a bit of tip rocker. Hopefully they finish a turn with some pop, which the Bonafide didn't. Not holding my breath though, probably needs a flat, square, flared tail for pop, like the E98/100 and MX.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 01-10-2020 at 12:38 AM.

Don't remember for sure, but seem to recall they softened the ski a bit when it became the 100, never tried the 98. The "tip rocker" in the 100 is mostly marketing BS. Definitely not a pow ski despite it's ample width, but pretty awesome for the mid-Summer price, especially if you're a smaller guy and get the chick topsheet "Temptation 100".

Also grabbed a used FX95HP, expect they'll rule shallow crud and mank at the expense of groomer carving. Stout, heavy, and a ton of tip rocker. Hopefully they finish a turn with some pop, which the Bonafide didn't. Not holding my breath though, probably needs a flat, square, flared tail for pop, like the E98/100 and MX.
    Based on those comments, and owning the mx98 and bonafide, I'm gonna say it sounds like your after something more like a speedzone 12 (which I also own). All 3 have their place in the quiver, but there's a ton of overlap in their competencies.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for tip, but the 18m radius on the E100 is a little too short, and the Speedzone is even shorter. At 24m, the MX98 sounds about perfect.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 01-10-2020 at 12:37 AM.

Don't remember for sure, but seem to recall they softened the ski a bit when it became the 100, never tried the 98. Definitely not a pow ski despite it's ample width, but a pretty awesome ski for mid-Summer prices, especially if you're a smaller guy and get the chick-topsheet "Temptation 100".

Also grabbed a used FX95HP, expect they'll rule shallow crud and mank at the expense of groomer carving. Looking forward to them, being stout, heavy, and quite a bit of tip rocker. Hopefully they finish a turn with some pop, which the Bonafide didn't. Not holding my breath though, probably needs a flat, square, flared tail for pop, like the E98/100 and MX.
    I have a pair of FX95 for hard snow days. They mix it up pretty well and it’s the first sub-100 ski I’ve really enjoyed for mixed conditions in a while. I find that I can definitely pop a transition if I want to and leave the snow, but they seem to encourage smooth transitions. Not a high energy ski.....

The kastle lineup confuses me. Having and liking the FX95 HP, I’m not really sure how to line it up against the MX series skis, even after spending time on dimensions and other specs. Curious to hear from anybody who’s been on both....?
    focus.

I’ll sell you my mx98 in good shape drilled 1x with p14 @305 for $400 Plus ship from Utah
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I have a pair of FX95 for hard snow days. They mix it up pretty well and it’s the first sub-100 ski I’ve really enjoyed for mixed conditions in a while. I find that I can definitely pop a transition if I want to and leave the snow, but they seem to encourage smooth transitions. Not a high energy ski.....

The kastle lineup confuses me. Having and liking the FX95 HP, I’m not really sure how to line it up against the MX series skis, even after spending time on dimensions and other specs. Curious to hear from anybody who’s been on both....?
    FX95HP is an excellent ski. Cold dead hands type for me. Have had last 3 gens. I’d suspect it to be the Kastle ski that would have the most tgr appeal. I know people crow about the MX98 but to me it was much more one dimensional. I also preferred the MX89 to MX98.
    Generally MX is considered more piste driven vs the FX which is their freeride line. Rocker lines tell the story. BMX which has gone away is their big mountain line.
    Additional note: the new FX106HP is solid AF

haven't gotten out on the FX85s that I stole from Sierra last year yet, but shape and flex suggest your assessment is right on. Looks like a fun, low-key ski, and probably with a bit of a speed limit that doesn't exist on the MXs or FX HP variants.

On another note, with respect to stated sidecut as discussed above, it may just be that I don't know how to ski, but radius is more and more a meaningless number to me when it comes to how a ski actually skis vs how I thought it would ski. The MX98 for instance has a 24m radius I believe, but definitely doesn't feel like some locked-in fall line missile. (yes, I know skis used to be straight and we had to bend em to turn em, etc. etc... but this makes the MX98 make even less sense to me because it's not a floppy ski. Some special magic sauce in there for sure).