Grand County Info??

Hey all, yes...another "what's the living like there" thread. I searched but didn't find information...which might say something in and of itself. Potential job in Grand County. I have been to Winter Park as a child but otherwise have no experience there. I don't mind the small town feel as long as there's some resemblance of a community. Is it a good spot for a young family? Any social scene? Solid community of backcountry skiers or mtbers? I plan on trying to make a visit soon but it'd be nice to in armed with a little background information. Cheers!

Foggy Goggles lives there and he's a salty old dog with the knowledge

I have skied there a shitton over the years, and many friends own (second) places there. Can't answer the community and family questions all that well, but there most certainly is a "Solid community of backcountry skiers or mtbers", that much I know.

As for WP and Fraser, just be aware that there are a hudge number of part-timers, people from the Front Range who consider themselves quasi-local but don't live there. I imagine that the number of those decreases dramatically as you drive further west to Tabernash and Granby.

Foggy is a great source of info. Also, underoos lives up there and has a family, he doesn't post a lot so you may want to PM him.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I have lived here 20+years. There is definitely a community, which part you want to be part of is up to you. The middle and high schools are in Granby and school busing is a bit limited. For this reason, many working families end up moving down valley.

Like most places, it is kinda what you make of it. I'd say schools are generally good, housing is too expensive but less than other places, the up valley chardonnay crowd ain't my style, people are generally pretty awesome, skiing is OK, everything is more busy than it used to be...what else?

If you PM me your job offer I can almost certainly tell you something about it. Let me know what questions specifically you might have.

I know a 100 people who have second homes in Granby/WP I swear. Not one of them would I consider a local. They go to the grocery store in a pinch but they are pretty much Denver people on a long leash.

Great information, I appreciate it. I’d say the chardonnay crowd probably isn’t what we’re looking for but definitely enjoy local breweries or some live music here and there. I lived in Tahoe City for awhile and can deal with the tourist/second homeowners for the most part and I don’t imagine Grand County being any worse.
    We do like to get to the city here and there for cultural stuff or to take kids to sports games so it seems like it’s within reach of long day or quick overnight trips to Denver. I’ll shoot you a pm here later on with some specifics, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I have lived here 20+years. There is definitely a community, which part you want to be part of is up to you. The middle and high schools are in Granby and school busing is a bit limited. For this reason, many working families end up moving down valley.

Like most places, it is kinda what you make of it. I'd say schools are generally good, housing is too expensive but less than other places, the up valley chardonnay crowd ain't my style, people are generally pretty awesome, skiing is OK, everything is more busy than it used to be...what else?

If you PM me your job offer I can almost certainly tell you something about it. Let me know what questions specifically you might have.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I know a 100 people who have second homes in Granby/WP I swear. Not one of them would I consider a local. They go to the grocery store in a pinch but they are pretty much Denver people on a long leash.
    I don't even know what a local is but for fucks sake I' sick of meeting people that need to tell you with in the first 30 seconds, "I've got a place in Fraser". Nobody cares.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Great information, I appreciate it. I’d say the chardonnay crowd probably isn’t what we’re looking for but definitely enjoy local breweries or some live music here and there. I lived in Tahoe City for awhile and can deal with the tourist/second homeowners for the most part and I don’t imagine Grand County being any worse.
    We do like to get to the city here and there for cultural stuff or to take kids to sports games so it seems like it’s within reach of long day or quick overnight trips to Denver. I’ll shoot you a pm here later on with some specifics, cheers!
    Being an hour and a half from Denver is both a blessing and a curse. I live in Tabernash and it is kinda rural-lite. I can piss of my deck and shoot guns 5 mins from the house but I can catch a flight from DIA afterwork.

Breweries...about one opens a week...I'm more of a $3 domestic guy.

My buddy in Tabernash is heading to Death Valley for two weeks to avoid the January doldrums and double digit below zero temps

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    My buddy in Tabernash is heading to Death Valley for two weeks to avoid the January doldrums and double digit below zero temps
    Yeah, it can be too cold but it never too hot...which is nice.

I skied WP/MJ a lot in college. I always felt they had the best snow on the front range. Grand Lakes pretty nice in the summer too.

Last year, I met the couple that own the Winter Park Coldwell Banker, on the lift in Aspen.
    Twenty years ago, they were offered the franchises in Steamboat or Winter Park.
    In hindsight they wished they’d picked Steamboat. “Winter Park is too close to Denver and too busy now.”

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I skied WP/MJ a lot in college. I always felt they had the best snow on the front range. Grand Lakes pretty nice in the summer too.

Last year, I met the couple that own the Winter Park Coldwell Banker, on the lift in Aspen.
    Twenty years ago, they were offered the franchises in Steamboat or Winter Park.
    In hindsight they wished they’d picked Steamboat. “Winter Park is too close to Denver and too busy now.”
    Interesting comment from a shit bag developer that has an attorney of retainer, left local subs out hundreds of thousands and sells this community down the river for the benefit of his own pocket book on the regular. I've know that guy for 20+ and he is not to be trusted any further than he can be thrown.

I figured you didn’t like them.