Anon M2 Lens Tint rubbing off

Have the Anon M2 goggle. Was skiing yesterday in very wet conditions with heavy snowfall using the blue lagoon lens. I wiped my lens with the finger of my hestra glove as I was skiing. Noticed metalic tint on the finger later, and realized I wiped off the lens tint. And you can definitely tell looking through the lens that the tint is all messed up. Throws off depth perception, etc.

I try to take good care of my goggles and mostly wipe them with the soft goggle case, but I've wiped lenses with leather-gloved fingers on occasion without issue for a long time. So I guess 1) is this normal? 2) what lens should I replace the now-ruined blue lagoon with?

no, this doesn't deserve it's own thread. Yes, I did search, but couldn't find an Anon goggles thread.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 01-07-2020 at 03:19 PM. Reason: goggle not google
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Same thing happened to me 2 seasons ago with a different lens color (my red-ish mirror sun lens). Bummer because I was a big fan of the goggles. They were past warranty at that point.

Yup, happened with all my m2 lenses as well.

Moved on to the electric egx. Injection molded lens that's tough as nails. Way cheaper too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

See Chinese goggles thread. At least at the prices those go for you'd toss em in the trash.

I guess good and bad with China, cheap shit, but cheap shit....sorry bout your goggs

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    See Chinese goggles thread. At least at the prices those go for you'd toss em in the trash.

I guess good and bad with China, cheap shit, but cheap shit....sorry bout your goggs

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    This +1000

In fact what got me to read it was just curiosity about the "real deal." I've got the "Chinese" goggles - Outdoor master pro - Wooo.

I was skiing on Sunday and part of the day it was freezing to the lens - I just scrub with the tips of my mitts. Perhaps my old eyes suck too badly to notice any damage, but no noticeable damage any of the times I've done this. All that said, at around $20 when on sale, even if they did take some damage, I wouldn't be very exercised about it. They may be cheap, price wise, but I got no complaint on their functionality, durability, and longevity. I'm on year four on my first pair - I've got several pairs.

Hard to know when they might be on sale again - but when/if they do, I'd recommend them. [Even at full price, they're pretty reasonable for what you get. At ~$20 they seem like insanely good value.]

Edited to add: +1 vibes on the lens trashing.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    This +1000

In fact what got me to read it was just curiosity about the "real deal." I've got the "Chinese" goggles - Outdoor master pro - Wooo.

I was skiing on Sunday and part of the day it was freezing to the lens - I just scrub with the tips of my mitts. Perhaps my old eyes suck too badly to notice any damage, but no noticeable damage any of the times I've done this. All that said, at around $20 when on sale, even if they did take some damage, I wouldn't be very exercised about it. They may be cheap, price wise, but I got no complaint on their functionality, durability, and longevity. I'm on year four on my first pair - I've got several pairs.

Hard to know when they might be on sale again - but when/if they do, I'd recommend them. [Even at full price, they're pretty reasonable for what you get. At ~$20 they seem like insanely good value.]

Edited to add: +1 vibes on the lens trashing.
    This.

Happy with mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Same thing with my M2 as well. I loved the goggles but the lense quality is just horrible.

And even worse, getting replacement lenses from Anon is next to impossible. I want there to be a case for supporting legit brands and companies who put in the R&D$'s for a better product, but the way they do business right now, they're giving away business to the China goggle-ers

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    And even worse, getting replacement lenses from Anon is next to impossible. I want there to be a case for supporting legit brands and companies who put in the R&D$'s for a better product, but the way they do business right now, they're giving away business to the China goggle-ers
    The only two options are not Anon and a cheap knock off pair. Lots of good goggles being made right now.

I've used M2s for the last ~5 years.
    Out of about eight (?) lenses I've had the coating flake off of one (Cobalt Blue).
    Love the goggle, finding replacement lenses does suck though.
    Freeze Pro Shop sells them for cheap but no longer ships to NA.
    The timing of the shipping restriction aligns with when Burton bought Anon, Fuck you Burton! (?)

I've keeping my eyes on these: https://www.wildhornoutfitters.com/c...=9423104573476
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    The only two options are not Anon and a cheap knock off pair. Lots of good goggles being made right now.
    And you earnestly believe their business models and customer support are any better? Eyeware as an industry (goggles, shades, etc) is characterized by near-nonexistent material cost, little to no innovation, and obscene profit margins. It also depends on a fragile product with little support and inelastic demand (can't go without). That foreign competitors offering a compelling alternative at 1/3 of the cost are now stealing their lunch I think falls into the category of "Just deserts"

Lots of obscenely expensive goggles being made right now.
    FIFY
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    FIFY
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    And you earnestly believe their business models and customer support are any better? Eyeware as an industry (goggles, shades, etc) is characterized by near-nonexistent material cost, little to no innovation, and obscene profit margins. It also depends on a fragile product with little support and inelastic demand (can't go without). That foreign competitors offering a compelling alternative at 1/3 of the cost are now stealing their lunch I think falls into the category of "Just deserts"
    Customer service from other brands is certainly better than with Anon. I also find distinct differences in quality of the optics with cheap eyewear.

It all reminds me of this kind of BS:
    https://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-Di.../dp/B0073HI94M
    Over the past several years there's been a revolution in the way people store, distribute, and access digital media (in real time), including photos, movies, and, of course, music. No longer dependent on physical media, our media is often data that's moved from multiple devices to multiple locations. For audio applications and protocols, audio over Ethernet offers the virtues of high-speed, low time delay (latency), significant distance capability (328 feet without an active booster or repeater), and extremely low-jitter, bit-perfect communication. Who wouldn't want all of these things?
    Them: "You know if you buy that cheap Chinese ethernet cable, your MP3's are going to sound like shit, right!?"
    Me: "Ummm.... Ah... Ok?"

BTW, That's not the most expensive ethernet cable they sell, one is $4700.

rubbing off?

Boy has this place gone downhill.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Okay, what else should I be looking at? Honestly , this is the first I've heard of this issue with Anon. I have 3 other lenses for the M2, but I'd be stoked on another goggle with a storm lens (>50% vlt) and a mixed lens (25%-50% vlt). I really like the mag system so I can carry a spare lens instead of a spare goggle on storm days if I take a digger and get snow everywhere. Prefer not much more than $150. Optics (depth perception, etc) and not fogging are important to me. Frankly, I haven't been overly stoked on Anon's optical quality compared to the Oakleys I had before.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Okay, what else should I be looking at? Honestly , this is the first I've heard of this issue with Anon. I have 3 other lenses for the M2, but I'd be stoked on another goggle with a storm lens (>50% vlt) and a mixed lens (25%-50% vlt). I really like the mag system so I can carry a spare lens instead of a spare goggle on storm days if I take a digger and get snow everywhere. Prefer not much more than $150. Optics (depth perception, etc) and not fogging are important to me. Frankly, I haven't been overly stoked on Anon's optical quality compared to the Oakleys I had before.
    I’ve had Smith for years and always had good luck with the optics and with their customer service. I/O Mag fits your bill but for $240 at full pop. Oakley also has a similar model I believe but I haven’t skied them since the Crowbar days and never dealt with their CS.

I’ve had Smith for years and always had good luck with the optics and with their customer service. I/O Mag fits your bill but for $240 at full pop. Oakley also has a similar model I believe but I haven’t skied them since the Crowbar days and never dealt with their CS.
    $240 for non-prescription goggles is completely absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Sure, but that's about what the Anon M2 retails for and I scored a pair on eBay BNIP for $95 shipped. Granted that was early summer.

photos

The POCs I got 6 years ago are still running strong. I take care of my eyewear. One transition lens for all situations.

The last thing I need to do is carry around and fiddle with a lens in the middle of the day.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Two lenses at least. And who pays full retail?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    rubbing off?

Boy has this place gone downhill.
    I took a shot to face with branch full of pine needles when trying to milk those last fresh turns out.
    Then I started to notice bright blue and purple sparkly glitter on my dashboard under the goggles.
    That one's on me, not Anon.

Has anyone tried these?: https://www.wildhornoutfitters.com/c...=9423104573476
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    For the more discerning buyer of generic Chinese knock offs.