Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I have SLX's from 2013, and the bite point may wander a bit and maybe they need bled more than once a summer, but I've never just had the lever pull in and nothing happen.
    They're totally silent with metal pads, too.
    If anything, it's the metal pads that might cause the lever feel to change as it heats up and cools down, but whatever.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    weigh #155, rocky instict, rides are some chairlift, and either pedaling steeper/techy things. (have a bikepacking hardtail and a light SS as well) so this is when I need gears or suspension.

Trying to solve issues with getting more bite/stopping power quickly on steeper things.

dont have issues with any of my other XT with fade, or bite point.

not switching to sram for many reasons
    8 and 7 inch Ice Tech rotors. Metal pads without fins. The full sintered pads take away some initial bite and modulation, but they work better as they get hotter, I swear. Plus they're fairly impervious to contamination from ride dust and gunk. I've been using these ones you can get fairly cheap off Amazon from someone called Trucker Company. They bite, last, and come with a cool sticker.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I also got a new ‘20 Instinct BC c90, and the only thing on it that won’t be XTR is the Code RSC’s that come stock. I have XTR 4 pots on my sb100, and have had absolutely no wandering bite point issues, but for truly rowdy terrain I tend to ride the bigger bike, so I don’t know their limits yet.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I am 190#, and run 203/180mm rotors. XTR levers, and switched to Saint calipers (4 pot) last year. Big WHOA. XT 4 pot didn't exist when I did it.

Metallic pads will maintain stopping power when they get hot, compared to the fading of resin. But resin works better when cold. Metallic also last 3x longer (if that matters).

I wouldn't bother with 4 pot until you are maxed out on your rotor size. Larger rotors dissipate more heat than the smaller ones, and have more stopping torque with the same lever pressure (less hand pump). 4 pot calipers were a substantial improvement for me though, probably 25-30% increase in power.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Trying to solve issues with getting more bite/stopping power quickly on steeper things.

not switching to sram for many reasons
    I like this because you’re stating very clearly:
    1. You like your Shimano stuff just fine.
    2. You want more power on steeps.
    3. You’re not interested in Sram or an argument about different brands and their attributes.

Answer:
    1. Yes, 4 piston will be significantly better. Saints > Zee > XT, but all way better than 2 piston Shimano.
    2. Bigger rotors will also garner you more power.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

I found this interesting:

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/best-mtb-disc-brake-can-buy/

One of my takeaways (that was just kind of a side note) was that they improved deceleration on code R’s by 18% using Trickstuff pads.

I’m riding TRP’s now and am very happy with them, but I’m going to try the mt7’s with Trickstuff pads on my new race whip this year.
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

Does anyone know which trickstuff pads fit Code RSC’s?
    Same as guides?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Does anyone know which trickstuff pads fit Code RSC’s?
    Same as guides?
    No, Guide pads are smaller.

Looks like Trickstuff calls them #840.

Gracias

I’ve ordered 6 pairs of Trickstuff pads. With shipping it came out to <$24 per set.
    On Saints they have similar power to OEM pads. Modulation is a bit better. Quieter. Seems to be more consistent through the life of the pad, in terms of cooking the rotor and developing squeal.
    I just swapped OEM pads off a brand new set of Saints for my wife’s new DH rig. She’s stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I’ve ordered 6 pairs of Trickstuff pads. With shipping it came out to <$24 per set.
    On Saints they have similar power to OEM pads. Modulation is a bit better. Quieter. Seems to be more consistent through the life of the pad, in terms of cooking the rotor and developing squeal.
    I just swapped OEM pads off a brand new set of Saints for my wife’s new DH rig. She’s stoked.

You get those direct from Trickstuff?

Brakes? XT 2 piston vs 4 piston vs TRP G-Spec Trail SL

Yup. They come super fast too.

Last edited by jm2e; 01-09-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Yup. The come super fast too.

Great thanks.

So, I just tried ordering two sets of trickstuff pads (from trickstuff) and they wanted over 30 euros just for shipping and VAT. (64 euros for two sets of pads!)
    Anyone have another source?
    This doesn’t sound right for a 16 euro part.
    Thanks, Trump?

So, I just tried ordering two sets of trickstuff pads (from trickstuff) and they wanted over 30 euros just for shipping and VAT. (64 euros for two sets of pads!)
    Thanks, Trump?
    Shouldn't have to pay VAT when they ship to the US. I occasionally buy stuff from Bike-Discount.de & Bike-Components.de, and I never pay VAT, and shipping is usually $26. Their prices are so good, if you're buying multiple items, it works out to be cost effective. For example, last time I ordered a pair of Magura 8.P pads from WWC in the US, they were $37/pair. From B-D, they were 14Euros, so ordering more than 2 pair came out ahead. The German shops occasionally also are able to sell other brands a lot cheaper than what we're able to get in the US (Schwalbe tires, Fox & 100% apparel, for example).

Thanks, Trump?
    For me, I’m going off Shimano Saint metallic pads (D02S non-finned) (H03C finned) $23 - $35 from Jenson.
    If I get 6 pairs of Trickstuff pads the shipping stays the same. Price per pair is right in the middle. Which is stupid cheap from my perspective. But yea, smaller order = more $ per pad. Maybe go in with a couple mags?

Well, then, anyone else in for a bulk order? I’ll handle the details?
    I sent them an email about the vat, they should respond late tonight our time.

Anyone have experience with Galfer pads and rotors? They've been popping up on my Facebook feed, and are mentioned in a PB article today. I'm always surprised when I see 3rd party offerings that are more expensive than Sram/Shim. Seems like they'd have to have something objectively great to try 'em out.