Thread: Volkl VTA 98 ?

Volkl VTA 98 ?

Anyone have any time on some VTA 98s? What do you think? I 've been on some Mythic 97's for the last 3 years and am looking for some thing similar. I might just get another pair, but wanted to see what else is out there and the VTA seems to tick the boxes. Also looking at Black Crowes Camox? Freebird and Voile Ultra V6s.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

keep your receipt above average of topsheet and/or sidewall delam especially when used for touring
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

I tried them at the WWSRA demo two years ago at Mission when it had rained and frozen. Think bulletproof to the point that you could not jab a pole in at all, let alone up to the basket. The vta98 was amazingly good on the hard stuff, as was the 108. Felt vaguely like a tour version of an M5....they have very similar camber profiles. I really like them but would like to spend time on them in a variety of conditions before rendering a final judgement. Wife really like them as well. MUCH better edge grip than say a MTN Explore 95, which we also demoed on the same day.

How different is it from the Vwerks Mantra?

Haven't skied either, but have MantraV (needs mounting) and would assume Mantra is stiffer/damper and has a lot more tail rocker, plus an extra 300g.
    https://www.skitest.com/Ski/Voelkl-Mantra-V-Werks

Would have bought the 98, but couldn't find a deal. Sized way down on the MV to trim weight and make it easier in chutes, not too concerned about high speed stability for touring.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 01-06-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Ordered a cheap pair of 177's last night. Kept digging around but there's not a lot of touring skis like this out there (see the unicorn ski thread)
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Give us the full report once you've had a chance to get them in the hills. Very interested in this line.

If anyone missed the boat and really wants a pair of VTA 98s, there is a minty pair on facebook for sale at a very inappropriately high price https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...are_attachment

I just got Rise Above 98s, and man the shape is so close to the VTA 98. They changed the shape a lot with the new Rise Above 96 for this year, adding more sidecut and making it less appealing IMO.