Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Slum Lord Mags - need a lease violation template

Slum Lord Mags - need a lease violation template - warning letter to be sent certified mail ; need to start a paper trail.

Anyone have one in MS word (.doc or even .txt etc) willing to share up?

Will share random neeekid pics and will lie and tell you they are of the tenant in question....

Thx in advance

First - what did the original lease state and what's the violation?

Slum Lord Mags - need a lease violation template

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    First - naked pics of the tenant in violation?
    What he said

late rent payments and running out of oil when required to keep 1/4 tank.

Depending on written lease terms ( you have one, right?) on late rent a 3 day notice is the way to go.

If your end game includes eviction via unlawful detainer statute, pay an attorney in your state to review the lease, draft the letter and arrange to have it served in whatever manner is required by law. UD statutes vary from state to state, and the laws of some local jurisdictions confer additional rights to T and/or obstacles on LL.

^this. Even if you’re just looking to send a shot across the bow, I’d get some local advice from someone in the know.

Just stop by and throw dog shit on the porch every morning, that'll get your point across.

End game is to just have them keep oil in the damn tank.

Late rent is secondary concern to be honest - but now has been late 3 months in a row - want to nip both issues in bud.

Yes - Lease was provided by our Atty.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Just stop by and throw dog shit on the porch every morning, that'll get your point across.
    Dude I just rebuilt said porch this past spring......

Quote Originally Posted by pepperdawg View Post
    Dude I just rebuilt said porch this past spring......
    Porch - sans dog shit.
    Attachment 308931

All advice, including any violation notice, are going to vary a lot from state to state. Talk to a local atty.

Then put it in an amazon box with renters name on it, slumlording ain't easy.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Then put it in an amazon box with renters name on it, slumlording ain't easy.
    Worst can happen some porch pirate gets it - win/win

Late rent is secondary concern to be honest - but now has been late 3 months in a row - want to nip both issues in bud.

I think you are going to have a tough time getting someone evicted over keeping your preferred amount of oil in the tank.

Take over paying the utilities yourself and bill them monthly.

Also how late? As others have stated this is really going to be state and local regulation dependent but lots of places have grace periods.

As others have stated, it varies a lot by state as to what your rights are and what their rights are, and you didn;t indicate where you are (looking at the porch picture, I'm guessing Vermont or other New England state?). That said, I assume there's no law preventing you from sending them a warning letter.

Personally, I would not bother paying a lawyer. I would simply send them a letter pointing to specific provisions in the lease and how they violated it. If your lease has provisions regarding breach, a general citation to that could be your "threat". You're not at the stage of taking any legal action, you don't want to take any legal action, so all the above talk about what your rights are seems premature.

Look for local and/or state resources on landlord/tenant relations. I know my municipality has a ton of information and resources on their website for this. May even be some sample lease violation letter on there.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

If this isn't the first step in their eviction, why not just have a conversation? It's free, and doesn't come off as passive aggressive or a threat. Unless you want it to be a threat. Then it should come from your lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    If this isn't the first step in their eviction, why not just have a conversation? It's free, and doesn't come off as passive aggressive or a threat. Unless you want it to be a threat. Then it should come from your lawyer.
    Actual human interaction! Gasp! God forbid....

Slum Lord Mags - need a lease violation template - warning letter to be sent certified mail ; need to start a paper trail.

Anyone have one in MS word (.doc or even .txt etc) willing to share up?

Will share random neeekid pics and will lie and tell you they are of the tenant in question....

Thx in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    He explained that he does not want to start eviction, but wants to start a paper trail in case shit blows up. I'm guessing he's already had some conversation with them about the oil tank and the late rent, and wants to put a little more oomph behind it. He doesn't need to pay a lawyer a few hundred bucks to do that, IMO.

How does a warning letter come off as passive aggressive? Seems pretty straightforward to me.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Danno gets it. - more of a warning as well as the start of a paper trail should be needed down the road.

- Although appreciate the wide variety of responses as always.

Yes keeping a 1/4 in the tank is a stipulation of the lease (below). Which has been communicated verbally in nice face to face at signing time and again before winter. (this is a re-ocurring PIA almost every year - although other long-term tenent gets it without issue) - once the oil burner(s) die will convert to gas (existing feed from street)

10. UTILITIES. Landlord shall be responsible for water and sewer use charges. Tenant shall be responsible for arranging for and paying for electric utility services required on premises. Tenant shall pay for heating oil and ensure that oil tank shall not go below one-quarter (1/4) full at any time.

Danno gets it. - more of a warning as well as the start of a paper trail should be needed down the road.

- Although appreciate the wide variety of responses as always.

Yes keeping a 1/4 in the tank is a stipulation of the lease (below). Which has been communicated verbally in nice face to face at signing time and again before winter. (this is a re-ocurring PIA almost every year - although other long-term tenent gets it without issue) - once the oil burner(s) die will convert to gas (existing feed from street)

10. UTILITIES. Landlord shall be responsible for water and sewer use charges. Tenant shall be responsible for arranging for and paying for electric utility services required on premises. Tenant shall pay for heating oil and ensure that oil tank shall not go below one-quarter (1/4) full at any time.
    You can put whatever you want in there, doesn’t make it enforceable.

This is sounding like it is your first rodeo.

I always put off filling the tank until it’s close to empty. 1/4 of a tank is still at least 50 gallons. That would last me at least a few weeks, especially if I keep the wood stove cranking. What is the purpose of the 1/4 tank rule? ( asking seriously, not trying to be sarcastic or anything )

Wow - why all the hate? (AR)

Its in there, has been for years/several sets of tenents - yes thankfully never had to test it yet.

Whats in your lease? (AR) Ha!

Wow - why all the hate? (AR)

Its in there, has been for years/several sets of tenents - yes thankfully never had to test it yet.

Whats in your lease? (AR) Ha!
    No hate, but I think you are being unreasonable for trying to evict someone over a petty issue. Unless they are leaving the place unheated, you don’t really have a leg to stand on.

Can you record the look on the judges face when you argue this? Having actually evicted someone before, I’d get laughed out of the room if that was the reason.

Seriously, just keep the tank full yourself and bill them if it is a big deal to you personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    He explained that he does not want to start eviction, but wants to start a paper trail in case shit blows up.
    Same thing. A paper trail is only necessary for a potential eviction or other legal action. And unless you actually serve them or send it registered, you have no proof that they've received or read it.

And why is a personal letter passive aggressive? Because it's the lowest effort. Like a breakup by text.

pdawg, my advice (as a former landlord) is to take over the oil delivery, and include it (marked up for your inconvenience) in their rent.