Anybody notice more marginal openings on small/medium hills?

It seems like with the turnover of managers/owners a lot of the smaller hills across the Northwest are doing limited openings with 12-18" base, when a decade ago an opening with less than 24" was unthinkable. I had Bluewood/Snowbowl in mind when I wrote this(Lookout always opens with a foot at base), but hasn't Alpental opened with 3' instead of 4' a couple times as well? Interested in hearing counter-arguments of this happening 20 years ago from old-timers.

My first pass at Snowbowl was only 22 years ago but Snowbowl has always opened when there was around 32" at the top regardless of how much there was at the bottom, with the standard lowering every weekend past Thanksgiving. This year was totally typical.

Quote Originally Posted by wordbird View Post
    a lot of the smaller hills across the Northwest are doing limited openings with 12-18" base, when a decade ago an opening with less than 24" was unthinkable.
    Very interesting observation my dear watson

We opened for a few days, hell they even had night
    skiing on 12 inches. Now were closed till....
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

OP, did you consider the effects of climate change on these "marginal" openings?
    Anything with a base lower than 5K' is doomed...

More efforts spent on summer grooming allow for winter openings with less snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    More efforts spent on summer grooming allow for winter openings with less snow.
    I think that's part of it, but also more of a "here it is, take your chances" attitude. Great Divide definitely has that attitude these days. I like it. Skiing low coverage isn't really that dangerous if you're careful and there isn't a bunch of barely hidden stumps. In the past ski areas were probably worried about lawsuits, but I don't think they are too concerned about that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    OP, did you consider the effects of climate change on these "marginal" openings?
    Anything with a base lower than 5K' is doomed...
    Yes. Other factor I can think about is the squeeze from the big passes being sold. The local hill steps up their game, they have to consistently open early and absolutely serve some kind of product for Xmas-NYE period when people visit their families.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I think that's part of it, but also more of a "here it is, take your chances" attitude. Great Divide definitely has that attitude these days. I like it. Skiing low coverage isn't really that dangerous if you're careful and there isn't a bunch of barely hidden stumps. In the past ski areas were probably worried about lawsuits, but I don't think they are too concerned about that anymore.
    Was the lawsuit scare just a made up thing, or has there been a shift in the against awarded money to customers recently?

Quote Originally Posted by wordbird View Post
    Yes. Other factor I can think about is the squeeze from the big passes being sold. The local hill steps up their game, they have to consistently open early and absolutely serve some kind of product for Xmas-NYE period when people visit their families.

Was the lawsuit scare just a made up thing, or has there been a shift in the against awarded money to customers recently?
    I think the courts currently view skiing as a risk sport and have been reluctant to hold ski areas liable except in the most egregious circumstances of negligence. It may have taken a while to adopt this but I belueve the precedent has been set over the past 20 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I think the courts currently view skiing as a risk sport and have been reluctant to hold ski areas liable except in the most egregious circumstances of negligence. It may have taken a while to adopt this but I belueve the precedent has been set over the past 20 years or so.
    That's probably a good thing. I think the near complete(75-80 to 90%+) health insurance coverage helps as well, there's less to sue for an injured party.