Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Jacket features for resort skiing?

Stupid thread topic, but this is TGR and we can always use more stupid threads.

I am in the market for a new resort jacket (been using the same Marmot shell for almost 20 years) and I'm trying to determine what features I need, what I might want, what is a waste. It's been so long using the same jacket, I am not even sure what I should be looking for outside of fit.

Examples: Current jacket has a sleeve pocket (a buddy referred to it years ago as the "weed pocket") that has become super handy now that many resorts use RFID passes. It's not a feature I would have thought was non-negotiable in the past, but now it is. Current jacket doesn't have a hood, but is a helmet compatible hood really useful? What about jackets that have that little pass through for headphone cords, that always seemed pointless. Many jackets I have seen in the last week have a wrist "gasket" with thumb hole, and that seems pretty cool/useful, but is it really? Opening a can of worms, is a powder skirt important/useful? I used to want a jacket with a color I liked, but now I think a really bright color might be better, because it makes you easier to spot in resort crowds.

So, what features do you look for, what are must-haves, what are wastes?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

powder skirt

def a powder skirt

how much should I pay extra for the powder skirt? $37?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    sleeve pocket
    yes

is a helmet compatible hood really useful?
    sometimes, if it's real fucking cold

little pass through for headphone cords
    no

a wrist "gasket" with thumb hole, and that seems pretty cool/useful, but is it really?
    the technical term is "hand panties" and they're great if designed well, but most aren't.

is a powder skirt important/useful?
    no, bibs work better if you're prone to beatering

a really bright color might be better, because it makes you easier to spot in resort crowds.
    Depends on if you want to be seen, or not seen.

So, what features do you look for, what are must-haves, what are wastes?
    Chest pocket that fits a phone, sleeve pocket, good pit zips, and a color that complements my eyes are the must-haves.

Now that I've had a jacket with wrist gaiters I dont think I could ever go back. I cant stand gauntlet over the cuff gloves and with the gaiters you basically never have to worry about snow in you gloves or pulling sleeves over gloves ever again.

I'll get the obligatory Freeride Systems recommendation out of the way first.

Current jacket has a sleeve pocket (a buddy referred to it years ago as the "weed pocket") that has become super handy now that many resorts use RFID passes. It's not a feature I would have thought was non-negotiable in the past, but now it is.
    You've already narrowed it down a lot by making that a dealbreaker.

No hood? Only if you never travel away from the dry states. No hood - or a poorly designed hood - is a dealbreaker for me.

Cable ports? No.
    Thumb holes? No.
    Powder Skirt? No.

Color? When not at a ski area I prefer to wear the brightest colors not found in nature, and like it when my friends do as well. At a ski area, doesn't matter. In town, as low key as possible.

My ideal jacket is on the higher end of breathability, has pit zips, a well designed hood (FRS and dead bird come to mind), three pockets that don't interfere with pack straps, a main zipper that can be zipped with a gloved hand and isn't prone to opening from the bottom by itself, no powder skirt because it fits and has a working bottom draw cord, and the ability to go over or under gloves without compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    yes

sometimes, if it's real fucking cold

no

the technical term is "hand panties" and they're great if designed well, but most aren't.

no, bibs work better if you're prone to beatering

Depends on if you want to be seen, or not seen.

Chest pocket that fits a phone, sleeve pocket, good pit zips, and a color that complements my eyes are the must-haves.
    Pretty much agree with all of that, though helmet compatible hood falls into the "mandatory" camp for me. But I run cold basically always, YMMV. Also have yet to encounter a hand panty that I like.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    what makes for a well designed hand panty?

what makes for a well designed hand panty?
    Needs to be thin, stretchy, and long so that you can actually move around and so they're comfortable under your gloves.

My Strafe Nomad jacket is an example of hand panties done right. But that jacket is like 6 years old, no idea if the new ones are still good. My Mountain Hardwear jacket from the same era has hand panties that are completely useless. Too bulky, too tight.

Breakfast pockets?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

+

I've tried the thumb thru the holes thing ^^ but I just don't like em, I like a velcro'ed cuff cover with a glove that has a cuff to overlap, IMO no overlapping cuff is like shingling your roof with the exposed edge at the top ... not water proof

Some kind of DWR outer fabric, needs insulation (not down) , big inner pockets for beers/samy/goggles, breast pocket , zips on all pockets, powder skirt, but really you can wear almost any warm insulated not very technical parka cuz you are just gona sit there and get cold

instead of trying to pull a hood over the helmet I just wear a light hooded zip jacket (R1 is perfect) and put the hood inside the helmet

for touring the kit I chose would be entirely different
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I'll get the obligatory Freeride Systems recommendation out of the way first.
    This

And you don't need a forearm pocket. Why? Because FRS jackets don't have one. So ipso facto, you don't need it.

The outer chest pocket is perfect for an RFID pass, and holds a 2G cannister of weed + pipe no problem. And the collar is big enough you can just hunker down in the jacket to get the pipe lit in fairly windy conditions. There's also a zippered inside chest pocket to keep your shades and/or phone.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    for touring the kit I chose would be entirely different
    agreed. I have used a dedicated resort jacket for 20 years, and plan to continue that way.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    big inner pockets for beers/samy/goggles
    This winter for resort riding I'm trying a hip pack over my shoulder to carry a beer (or 500ml of water), weed, snacks, skilock and RFID lift passes. So far so good. Except the cool kids keep trying to by drugs off me in teh snoprk.
    27° 18°

I walked right by a ski bud on the street in summer, all the bro's know you by what you wear, change it and they won't recognise you
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My next jacket is definitely going to have a meat pocket. I believe that all the essentials need their own separate pockets. I hate getting bacon in my bowl, and ashes on my bacon ain’t so sweet neither.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A37DF99-3607-4CCA-8272-9C4B22BBEDFC.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	462.5 KB 
ID:	308813

Room for more beer wouldn’t hurt either.

fact.

Things I care about for an inbounds jacket:

-a pocket that's big enough to comfortably carry a beer, or an extra goggle lens
    -a neck that comes up high enough that I can hunker my face in behind it on the chair.
    -a good, helmet compatible hood (I rarely use it, but on a cold, windy day, it's really nice).
    -sleeves that are long enough and have a big enough wrist to fit nicely over kinkos / other non-gauntlet gloves.
    -pit zips that I can actually operate with one hand while wearing the jacket.

Things I don't want:
    -a powder skirt (in the way / annoying - just wear bibs. zip out skirts are fine, although a liability at the time of resale)
    -hand panties (even the good ones stretch out and become saggy panties)
    -a bunch of weird little pockets designed for specific items like an ipod nano that no one even owns anymore
    -media ports in pockets (I don't put electronic shit in my shell - those go in inner layers to stay warmer)

Beyond that, it's mostly just fit and waterproof / breathability considerations.

Jacket for riding the bull wheel?

Vermont Edition

Name:  IMG_4802.JPG
Views: 1197
Size:  51.7 KB

CO Edition

Name:	IMG_4804.JPG 
Views:	250 
Size:	348.6 KB 
ID:	308824

PNW Edition

Name:	IMG_4805.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	876.7 KB 
ID:	308825

. . . but is a helmet compatible hood really useful?
    Yes, a necessity for my shell for cold weather/storm lift-served skiing. Hood over helmet adds at least 10F of warmth, sometimes more in stormy weather.

It *MUST* be manufactured out of red fabric.

Jacket features for resort skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Jacket for riding the bull wheel?

Vermont Edition

Name:  IMG_4802.JPG
Views: 1197
Size:  51.7 KB

CO Edition

Name:	IMG_4804.JPG 
Views:	250 
Size:	348.6 KB 
ID:	308824

PNW Edition

Name:	IMG_4805.JPG 
Views:	241 
Size:	876.7 KB 
ID:	308825
    Perfect, Haha...
    I resemble that last one on more days than I would like to admit.

Things I look for:
    - Pit zips that are large enough
    - Helmet sized hood with good peripheral vision.
    - Long waisted
    - 1 Inside pocket
    - At least two no waist strap interfering outside pockets with zippers that close up.
    - High collar, preferably with a fleece lining
    - No hand panties, hate them
    - All zippers must be able to function with gloves on
    - Powder skirt meh/optional (If it has one and I really don't like it, they are easy enough to remove IMO)
    - No liner or insulation, Gore 3 ply or whatever we are up to now with a good DWR coating
    - Color - something I can ghost in
    - Fit... Arms have to be long enough, it has to accommodate layering for cold, storm days without restricting articulation/movement.

This has equaled Patagonia a few times in a row for me.
    Last edited by ACH; 01-02-2020 at 06:36 PM.

-Helmet comparable hood which keeps rain/snow off goggles but doesn’t restrict peripheral view.
    -Sleeves long enough and articulated enough I can cross my arms without exposing my wrists.
    -baggy enough to fit a fleece and down jacket at the same time and not restrict movement
    -cell phone pocket I can get to on lift (generally inside jacket) and will keep my phone dry
    -three outer pockets I can get to on lift or wearing a pack
    -inside ‘stuff’ pocket I can quickly stash gloves or other loose bulky items
    -hips/hem isn’t so tight as to restrict movement.

Don’t like:
    -powder skirt. Bibs work better and they tend to ride up
    -hand panties. Makes it difficult to check my watch and cuffs aren’t hard to use if designed right.

Things I used to want but don’t use anymore:
    - RFID/pass pocket. Goes in pants now so I still have them when I leave the jacket in the car for spring skiing.
    -jacket/pant clip in system. Just a pain to use.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Things I care about for an inbounds jacket:

-a pocket that's big enough to comfortably carry a beer, or an extra goggle lens
    -a neck that comes up high enough that I can hunker my face in behind it on the chair.
    -a good, helmet compatible hood (I rarely use it, but on a cold, windy day, it's really nice).
    -sleeves that are long enough and have a big enough wrist to fit nicely over kinkos / other non-gauntlet gloves.
    -pit zips that I can actually operate with one hand while wearing the jacket.

Things I don't want:
    -a powder skirt (in the way / annoying - just wear bibs. zip out skirts are fine, although a liability at the time of resale)
    -hand panties (even the good ones stretch out and become saggy panties)
    -a bunch of weird little pockets designed for specific items like an ipod nano that no one even owns anymore
    -media ports in pockets (I don't put electronic shit in my shell - those go in inner layers to stay warmer)

Beyond that, it's mostly just fit and waterproof / breathability considerations.
    ditto on all of these. I also really like the inside glove/skin pockets, whatever they're called. in UT where I don't need the waterproofing much, my old BD Dawn Patrol hybrid is pretty much perfect (though it does have a stupid media port in one of the chest pockets, I just don't ever use it)

Hood is essential, it gets cold here (and windy!)
    FRS and Arc hood/collar design rules, IMO.

waterproof zippers and large pit zips, arm or chest pocket for pass, oversize inside pockets are a nice bonus.