Attachment 308823

CO Edition

Attachment 308824

PNW Edition

Attachment 308825
    My boss thinks I've lost it, thnx!

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    This

And you don't need a forearm pocket. Why? Because FRS jackets don't have one. So ipso facto, you don't need it.

The outer chest pocket is perfect for an RFID pass, and holds a 2G cannister of weed + pipe no problem. And the collar is big enough you can just hunker down in the jacket to get the pipe lit in fairly windy conditions. There's also a zippered inside chest pocket to keep your shades and/or phone.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Freeride System Antero II. It has all the shit you need including light insulation and a well designed hood. None of the crap you don't like a powder skirt or wrist gaiters. Pass in chest pocket works just fine. Too warm for some days, but a cheap softshell beats all on warm sunny days anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app
    Again...+1

I hate having an insulated jacket even though I do own one. It comes out about 2X per year when it's colder than -10F. I can wear my Antero 2 from -10F to +50F and be comfortable based on under layers. Modern kit is so thin and light, I don't even notice that I have 3-4 layers under my FRS. Wicking layer (sometimes a 2nd heavier wicking layer), merino layer, TNF Thermoball layer or very thin down and I'm toasty down to -10F. If it's warmer, I just lose the merino first and then the Thermoball.

Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post
    This is a suspiciously helpful thread for TGR...

Anyone have experience with these guys?
    https://nwt3k.com/customize/snow

I am in desperate need of a new coat. Skiing mostly in the PNW, so waterproofness is a very high priority (especially this year thus far) . Unfortunately for me, I am very exothermic and sweat like a fat guy at a hotwing eating contest when I exercise, so breathability is super important too...

I hear the buzz about TNF's fancy new shit, and I guess OR has done the electrospun thing for a few years now... what else is out there?

Breathability of the membrane is only as good as the DWR on the outside. If the DWR isnt beading up water on the outside of the shell, the outside material of the jacket wets out and totally blocks any breathability the membrane had. So, basically, get a big supply of nikiwax spray on and apply a couple times per season. Also, if you are a heavy sweater and are working hard, there is simply no way any membrane will be able to keep up with your sweating. At that point, just rely on quickly partially opening the main zipper for 5 secs and dumping a bunch of steam. That said, Trew's dermizax membrance is very good for the mix of waterproofness/breathability you are looking for, i hear.

Quote Originally Posted by denim_nerd View Post
    My current jacket is so "high-tech" it doesn't have pit zips. That was a huge mistake and I'll chose them on my next jacket. I have to layer very carefully so I'm not dying of heat on the technical double blacks and then freezing on the lifts.
    This is something that is often misunderstood, even - sometimes especially - by the company's marketing dept themselves.

Breathability is for moisture control
    Pit zips aka ventilation is for temperature control

re: pockets, I try to carry as little as possible at the resort

+1 on pit zips being essential
    (made mistake of buying a cycling jacket without once [no pit zips cuz it was E-vent...fuck that shit..E-vent isn't magical])

Pocket room for chair beers.

I don't find a hood very important while skiing. I don't think I've ever used it but I wear a helmet. For the parking lot, or wearing it outside of skiing I like a hood.

Pit zips and easy to open zippers are important, I run really hot though so I like dumping heat in the lift line. I've horrified at least one mag's wife by having exposed skin visible though the leg vents on a cold lift ride.

Pockets for beers are good, though I ski with a pack almost every day now so that's not critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Pocket room for chair beers.
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Pockets for beers are good, though I ski with a pack almost every day now so that's not critical.
    Someone needs to add this to a backpack.

Name:  beervest.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  89.5 KB

Long and trim fit. Need loooong sleeves that fully cover gloves when arms are extended overhead, and the jacket needs to extend just below bottom of butt cheeks. but i dont want baggy.

Pit zips are a must.
    Pockets that work with a backpack
    I like a hood, but only use it in the parking lot or when waiting around to keep warm
    I love me a powder skirt, and i even have bibs. I must crash more than most.
    Goretex waterproofness
    Shell only, i run hot and my home climate is maritime so no need for insulated.
    fleece chin liner, and fairly tall, stiff collar that stands up instead of folding down in storms when partially unzipped.
    RFID pass pocket on wrist/arm
    burly, zippers that dont snag easily
    Tough, thicker outer fabric that i can shoulder check branches in without fear of tearing material
    Wrist gaiters. I dont use the thumb holes, but they dont take anything away from the wrist gaiters
    all pockets should be mesh microfiber material to not scratch lenses, but still allow warmth in.

I would love a rubberized material patch at the top of the shoulders and upper back where packs rub and DWR gets beaten up the most from weather and use. I dont need that area breathable, but it is the most exposed to falling snow/rain, so waterproofness/repellence is paramount. Kinda like the JP Auclair pro model jackets from Orage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Someone needs to add this to a backpack.

Name:  beervest.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  89.5 KB
    I remember seeing lots of these, or something like it, when I went to rampage. I just had a normal backpack full of beer for us for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post
    Anyone have experience with these guys?
    https://nwt3k.com/customize/snow
    I had a pair of bibs from their garage sale for a couple seasons. Looked cool, fit well, breathed fine. They wetted out quickly even on good days, and were useless on those 32 and snowing days. I gave them away. Also pocket lining was mesh and tore easily. I think this company was why I made a rule to buy nothing advertised on facebook.

Get you an Antero...

Zippers and drawstring operable with gloves on.
    Able to put hood up and down with gloves on--on cold days I like a hood for lift riding but take it off for the run down.
    Pit zips with one way zippers. I have a Patagonia jacket with two way pit zips and I can never tell if I'm opening or closing.
    A fuzzy collar is nice, but not mandatory.
    All pockets must have secure, weather proof closure (ie zipper, not just velcro).
    My jackets often have little cords with snap hooks in the glove pockets. What are they for? Keeping you from losing your gloves if they're in the pockets? Never used them. Maybe nice in a kid's jacket.
    If you ski in avalanche terrain a yellow jacket might help the dogs find you faster?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My jackets often have little cords with snap hooks in the glove pockets. What are they for? Keeping you from losing your gloves if they're in the pockets? Never used them.
    Good for clipping your car key in case you forget to zip your pocket. At least that’s what I use it for.

Buddy of mine thought it was dumb until he lost his keys at jay
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Long and trim fit. Need loooong sleeves that fully cover gloves when arms are extended overhead, and the jacket needs to extend just below bottom of butt cheeks. but i dont want baggy.

Pit zips are a must.
    Pockets that work with a backpack
    I like a hood, but only use it in the parking lot or when waiting around to keep warm
    I love me a powder skirt, and i even have bibs. I must crash more than most.
    Goretex waterproofness
    Shell only, i run hot and my home climate is maritime so no need for insulated.
    fleece chin liner, and fairly tall, stiff collar that stands up instead of folding down in storms when partially unzipped.
    RFID pass pocket on wrist/arm
    burly, zippers that dont snag easily
    Tough, thicker outer fabric that i can shoulder check branches in without fear of tearing material
    Wrist gaiters. I dont use the thumb holes, but they dont take anything away from the wrist gaiters
    all pockets should be mesh microfiber material to not scratch lenses, but still allow warmth in.

I would love a rubberized material patch at the top of the shoulders and upper back where packs rub and DWR gets beaten up the most from weather and use. I dont need that area breathable, but it is the most exposed to falling snow/rain, so waterproofness/repellence is paramount. Kinda like the JP Auclair pro model jackets from Orage.
    That’s a feature list that’d work well for me, but long and lean isn’t fashionable in North America right now. Nothing I’ve tried on recently (including most of the Patagonia and OR options) are even close to fitting as well as my 6 year old Oakley Unification Pro Jacket. Some of the Norrøna jackets look suitable, but they’re not available around here to try. I’ve also long thought that shells (pants and jackets) should zone different materials in different places to prioritize different characteristics: waterproofing, breathability, durability, etc., but ultimately most people at most resorts, and especially the ones with $ are just going to buy whatever’s in fashion.

Just get a Freeride Systems Jacket. All you'll ever need. If it is cold, wear a puffy under it. All those bells and whistles are for people who ski a few times a season and ask what jacket to buy on internet forums... oh wait.

Seriously though, I've been super happy with my FRS jacket. Fit is perfect even over a puffy, zippers are easy to use, pockets are big enough, jacket is waterproof, hood fits great, pit zips are easy and functional. That all you need.

Also really liked my Trew Cosmic jacket for many of the same reasons, only got rid of it because it was too matchy with my Trewth bibs.

One thing I've come to really like are front facing pit zips. I have an OR White Room from a few years ago that has them and it's perfect for dumping steam/adjusting heat quickly. Much easier to use than under arm pit zips. Much preferred than ORs full side zip implementation.

The OR full side zip thing is really a BC feature. Open it up at the bottom and put that flap in front of your backpack waist belt, works great.
    Also, get the hood. I never really thought I’d need it till we were doing side country laps that took 3 slow windy cold chairs to get to for repeats. We put on the under helmet hoods, over helmet hoods, and hid behind our packs on the ride up. Other wise, they usually just roll up and make a nice neck collar.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you ski in avalanche terrain a yellow jacket might help the dogs find you faster?
    I’m going with this is more of a human consideration, dogs follow their noses.

Moral of the story: always pee on your jacket before heading into avalanche terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    That’s a feature list that’d work well for me, but long and lean isn’t fashionable in North America right now. Nothing I’ve tried on recently (including most of the Patagonia and OR options) are even close to fitting as well as my 6 year old Oakley Unification Pro Jacket. Some of the Norrøna jackets look suitable, but they’re not available around here to try. I’ve also long thought that shells (pants and jackets) should zone different materials in different places to prioritize different characteristics: waterproofing, breathability, durability, etc., but ultimately most people at most resorts, and especially the ones with $ are just going to buy whatever’s in fashion.
    I sucked it up and ordered a Norrona Lofoten despite no local options for try on, and it sounds like it might work for you. I'm right at 6' but built thin, weight between 165-170 and the medium fits me well (like mediums for US based companies fit me 10-20 years ago).

Jacket features for resort skiing?

Moral of the story: always pee on your jacket before heading into avalanche terrain.
    Lulz, or carry bacon...
    Last edited by ACH; 01-04-2020 at 03:59 PM.

That's known as the Benny Method.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    I’m going with this is more of a human consideration, dogs follow their noses.

That's known as the Benny Method.
    What's a dog?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    What's a dog?
    I think they breathe air.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    What's a dog?
    Name:  3l7ig1.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  57.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I think they breathe air.
    From a bag?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........