Moving to Jackson. What to expect?

I am a 31 y/o single male. I have been living in pretty small towns for the past 10 years Houghton MI, Mt Shasta CA and Yakima WA. Backcountry skiing and ski mountaineering are my favorite actives. I went to college in Durango Co and have been trying move back to a similar type mountain town since I left about 10 years ago.

Jackson seems like a huge step up from Yakima (but most places are), but also kind of intimidating compared to the sleepy ski community in southeastern WA.

Any insight would be great!

And before everyone tells me its full and the housing is impossible... I landed a really good job with the Forest Service. They will be providing me with affordable housing for 3 years.

Thanks

I have some good friends who are FS employees there. Best of luck, Jackson is what you make of it. The dating pool is wide and shallow. There will be more trustafarians than you’re used to, but also plenty of of folks who hustle hard to make it work. Check in on the Tetons thread and get hooked up with some of the local folks, they’re good peeps.

Welcome! Just moved myself last year after a long time trying. It's amazing how many places to explore around here, our list is ever growing. In a bit of a different situation with a young kids but happy to help answer any questions. Zero regrets so far except for no family in area and expensive travel in/out.
    Last edited by kokomas; 01-02-2020 at 06:15 PM.
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I have some good friends who are FS employees there. Best of luck, Jackson is what you make of it. The dating pool is wide and shallow. There will be more trustafarians than you’re used to, but also plenty of of folks who hustle hard to make it work. Check in on the Tetons thread and get hooked up with some of the local folks, they’re good peeps.
    Cool thanks for info. Yeah that’s makes sense. Well it’s seems like there is a pretty sweet local community of folks who like to get after it. As for dating...anything is better than Yakima

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

You know how to make a small fortune in Jackson?

Start with a LARGE fortune.

Hopefully you're going in with a large fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You know how to make a small fortune in Jackson?

Start with a LARGE fortune.

Hopefully you're going in with a large fortune.

Yep I make ALL of the money working for the feds

NO shortage of fulfilling your outdoor interests, obviously. For...relatively...affordable housing, take a look at Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    NO shortage of fulfilling your outdoor interests, obviously. For...relatively...affordable housing, take a look at Wilson.
    Yeah, John Dodge is your best bet for a nice double wide.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    I'm here to laugh at this post too

But OP having a job and housing takes care of a lot of the stress and hey- maybe you'll hook up with a trustifarian. I know some and they aren't all bad

welcome to paradise
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post

But OP having a job and housing takes care of a lot of the stress and hey- maybe you'll hook up with a trustifarian. I know some and they aren't all bad

welcome to paradise
    Oops sorry not a local just an occasional visitor. Last post for me in this thread then, lol

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post

welcome to paradise
    Speaking of new houses. Got the X-Mas card from A. Big news. Where is their new house?

OP- did you grow up in Houghton? I know a great family that lives there. If everyone from there is like them, it is my kind of place.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Speaking of new houses. Got the X-Mas card from A. Big news. Where is their new house?

OP- did you grow up in Houghton? I know a great family that lives there. If everyone from there is like them, it is my kind of place.
    I went to grad school at Michigan Tech. I didn’t grow up there. Awesome town though.