Thread: Mitts Choice

Mitts Choice

I'm looking for some new mitts. I know its subjective but I'm leaning heavily towards either the FTP mitts or the Outdoor Research Southback mitts. Anyone have real experiences with either or both?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've used the FTPs and they're nice, not quiiiite as warm as my well-worn BD Mercury Mitts (my gold standard) but warm, great for the price. Can't speak to the OR southbacks specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I've used the FTPs and they're nice, not quiiiite as warm as my well-worn BD Mercury Mitts (my gold standard) but warm, great for the price. Can't speak to the OR southbacks specifically.
    I forgot about the BD Mercury mitts. Does the split finger liner bother you or does it work better?

Quote Originally Posted by jasmap View Post
    I forgot about the BD Mercury mitts. Does the split finger liner bother you or does it work better?
    I like it, it affords a small bit of extra dexterity, and it's easy enough to get my forefinger into the larger compartment with the rest of my fingers if it gets cold.

Looks like some are modular and some the liners are sewn in? A modular Mitt is nice cuz you can take the liners out to dry or use other liners and with a glove liner you got 3 layers so they are pretty fucking warm
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Looks like some are modular and some the liners are sewn in? A modular Mitt is nice cuz you can take the liners out to dry or use other liners and with a glove liner you got 3 layers so they are pretty fucking warm
    Yeah I narrowed it to both like you said. I currently have some old Swany gloves and the Hestra Army 3 finger. Both are good but on crazy cold days my index finger turns into a frikkin' popsicle. Meanwhile my ol' lady and my kid are toasty as shit in their mitts. I decided it's my turn.

something you might try especialy if you sweat your gloves up is nitrile gloves under your super thin glove liners, like the mechanics use, its effectively a vapor barrier so your gloves absolutely do not get wet with sweat and cuz its too cold for them to get wet from the snow, at days end your gloves will be bone dry
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have the FTP mitts and they're nice, but as I age I'm finding my hands get colder and they're not warm enough on cold days. I also have Mercury Mitts, which I used to call nuclear reactors for your hands. They too are no longer warm enough, but they're also pretty old and I think the liner may be packed out (read some reviews that said that happened) so I am probably gonna buy new Mercury Mitts.

I like the modular setup, have used the shells without the liners in the past. The lobster claw thing seems a waste to me, I don't feel any increased dexterity. That said, I have no trouble putting the index finger in with the other fingers if it is cold.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Anybody tried the BD Recon mitts? Yes, I understand that the Mercurys are warmer and look even more bomb-proof, but they are stiffer than I'd like

Black diamond ultimate is warmest. I also have mercury and vapor mitts. I bought southback on sale but have not used yet. Get cold easy so I love mitts. Also bought BD electric glove

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Black diamond ultimate is warmest. I also have mercury and vapor mitts. I bought southback on sale but have not used yet. Get cold easy so I love mitts. Also bought BD electric glove

Even though you've not tried them outside yet, how do the Southbacks look and feel compared to the Mercury?

Not as warm I don’t think. I paid $40 for southback and $85 for mercury. Is it twice as warm, maybe. Mercury is good to 20 then I go ultimate. But at 30 mercury is too much there and I’m hoping southback is the quiver

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I’ve been rocking FTP, but the seem to wet easily despite all the leather treatment I put on them.

$30 for some Kinco mitts off of Amazon. Nikwax them up and have a liner for inside of em. My hands get cold but unless it’s below 0, I don’t have any issues.

I use FTP mitts and at -10F last year at Stowe, I had to take them off on the lift because my hands were too warm. Sounds crazy but those things are uber-warm. Never tried the Mercury and my FTPs were new last year so no idea if they will pack out and be colder as time passes.

I had occasion to get really sensitive to hand temps a couple years ago: couldn't handle cold and big trouble if I even started to sweat. I got a pair of OG FTP mitts one size too big and wore glove liners inside them--selected between a thick and thin pair and both or neither on extreme cold and warm days.

That worked great, apart from the obvious need to keep things tuned a little obsessively (but no getting around that in my case so meh). The extra volume seemed to help when it was warmer out and having gloves on meant whenever my hands came out they were still covered and never got chilled. Breathability on those things helped a lot at both ends of the temp spectrum, too: dry is always more comfortable.

How much discomfort are you willing/able to endure to focus on skiing? It's different for everybody.

I went back and forth on the FTP's, OR Southbacks, and the BD mercury mitts. I said screw it and ordered the BD Mercury mitts last night. I figured I would be fine with any of the 3 and BD Mercury are usually bomb proof so I picked them.

Last edited by jasmap; 01-04-2020 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmap View Post
    I went back and forth on the FTP's, OR Southbacks, and the BD mercury mitts. I said screw it and ordered the BD Merxury mitts last night. I figured I would be fine with any of the 3 and BD Mercury are usually bomb proof so I picked them.

FTP upped the insulation by 50% on their gloves / mittens with removable liners. $80

My Mercury Mitts are 10 years old, have seen hundreds of days of use, and are still the warmest thing I own for my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    FTP upped the insulation by 50% on their gloves / mittens with removable liners. $80
    I didn't know that they'd upped the insulation. I missed that. But I still got the Mercury's way cheaper new on a deal I found and got the last pair they had. If I'd seen that about FTP I might've ordered them though.

Kincos . . . so done of paying for overpriced gloves/mitts that will only pack out after a season!

No mention of Hestra mitts?

I have the Army Leather and it is the best glove I have ever used. It is pricey in Europ but having cozy hands even when skiing at the glacier was worth it for me.
    I imagine the mitts should be even warmer.