Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Don’t do this. Epoxy and clamps or move on to a different brand. FWIW, I have found doing this one time with good epoxy to be a relatively permanent fix (at least until I don’t own the skis anymore.)
    Right I always do the epoxy and clamps first, not JUST a screw or rivet,
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Don't store your skis on their tails. This isn't unique to Volkl.

"But I should be able to stand my skis up in the corner."
    "Okay, then why don't you store them standing upside down in their tips... you know, the part of the ski actually designed to take the blunt force of abuse?"

Skis should be stored horizontally, or off the ground and hung by the binding.
    You might want to write to Atomic and tell them they need to update their storage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21seventyskis-web1-superJumbo.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	794.3 KB 
ID:	308950

Don't store your skis on their tails. This isn't unique to Volkl.

"But I should be able to stand my skis up in the corner."
    "Okay, then why don't you store them standing upside down in their tips... you know, the part of the ski actually designed to take the blunt force of abuse?"

Skis should be stored horizontally, or off the ground and hung by the binding.
    That's some grade-A troll meat.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with skis being stored on their tails. If a ski is so fragile it can’t hold up to its own weight on its tail, the ski is the issue, not the storage method.
    Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    You might want to write to Atomic and tell them they need to update their storage.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    That's some grade-A troll meat.
    Let me clear this up. I'm referring to storing after skiing. I used to store my skis in my locker at the hill after work either instructing or patrolling. And the snow would melt and form a puddle in which my tails sat. That water would eventually (after day after day of storing them like this) penetrate the ski and the tail would delam. I had it happen twice before I figured out what was happening.

Yes, a ski should be able to support itself on its tail. In water day after day?

Now that I know the weak point exists... all my skis are stored horizontally. And I still have 2003 Gotamas that I use as my teaching ski for kids to abuse the fuck out of.

2013 4FRNT Owl Renegades had a tail delam warranty recall issue. Mine haven't delaminated yet.

Of course skis are displayed on their tails. And of course many skis are designed with a tail cap instead of a wrap-around edge like Volkls.

By a small rubber mat with holes in it and the ski can stand vertically, but not in a puddle. Works great

Ski locker rooms usually are not heated, usually will smell damp n Mouldy probably not the best place to store skis, I take mine home, take them out of the car, I seperate them to dry cuz IME if the skis are left to dry with the edges touching that is where they will rust/pit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    By a small rubber mat with holes in it and the ski can stand vertically, but not in a puddle. Works great
    Or you could just wipe them down with a towel before putting them away.

the edges are cold from the snow so they don't really get warm/dry, same with Hockey skates, a buddy used to run the water till hot in the change room and hold the skate blade under the water to warm them up and they dry by themselves real fast without rusting

the snow will still melt down off of skis, if the skis sit in a puddle of water it penetrates the full wrap edges so the ends will rust, also shit will happen to the skis edges internally under the petex, I put my skis on their tails in a boot tray in a heated area so the water can evaporate cuz if I let them sit on the floor the ends will rust and leave a rust mark on the floor
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-05-2020 at 12:06 PM.

If the skis are new I'm going to wipe them down before putting them in the box, then wipe them down again after the 3 hour ride home before putting them away... hanging by the tips with the tails off the floor.

Mostly though with older gear I just throw them in the box and leave them there unless I'm going to tune/wax them before the next trip. I've heard that stuff doesn't rust much in sub freezing temps so leaving them in the box in cold weather actually isn't that bad. YMMV.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

You have a 3 hour drive each way to go skiing? Jeezus

Don't even necessarily need to wipe them down. Maybe if there is a bunch of wet snow clinging to them.
    Utter bullshit.
    Knock the tails against the ground or bases against each other to knock snow off. I usually keep the skis I'm using in my pod, but store them standing up in a mud room or garage otherwise. Somewhere nice and drafty and uninsulated/heated.
    If your tails are delaming, it's a build flaw, not a storage flaw.
    Skis are waterproof, btw. Or had you not noticed?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

What kind of towel should I buy to dry my skis? Wamsutta? Turkish? Chamwow?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Take them into lodge bathroom and hold them under the row of hand dryers.....or better yet...if they have a Dyson, you could slide them in and out of the Dyson hand dryer slot.
    (I might actually see this at Huntah)...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Don't forget you'll need a quiver of heated towel racks to match the temp requirements of your towels. It's quite an investment to save your ski tails

You can pay an illegal under the table to wipe them down for you

I've had it w/ Volkls

You could go on Shark Tank and pitch your new company “Ski Blow Jobs”. Hire some of the nice girls from the tits and ass thread to be the blowing technicians... (make sure to include at least one of Splats redheads)
    Last edited by BC.; 01-05-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    What is the minimum acceptable thread count?
    Should the country of origin of the towel match where the ski is made?
    Blot dry only, or is a vigorous rundown suitable?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

We have 3 pairs of Blizzards and a pair of k2's in our locker on their tails right now. Of all the things to worry about in my life any increase in delamination risk by tail stand storing will not be one of them. Also, what puddle?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Don't store your skis on their tails.
    Pfffffft...

Setting skis out to dry on their trails without having them sit in the water that is draining off isn’t rocket science. I only store them on their tails and I’ve never had a delam as a result, and we are talking about countless pairs of skis over decades.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    You have a 3 hour drive each way to go skiing? Jeezus
    That’s like driving from squaw to Truckee on a weekend....

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Pfffffft...

Setting skis out to dry on their trails without having them sit in the water that is draining off isn’t rocket science. I only store them on their tails and I’ve never had a delam as a result, and we are talking about countless pairs of skis over decades.
    Fine. OP outlined his delam issues and paid special attention to not storing in water for some reason.

Volkl is one of the most coveted brands in regards to durability.

So which is it? Are we all wiping down our skis with towels at the end of the day or are we blaming a world-renowned manufacturer for making shitty skis?

Or— are we asking people to take care of their shit?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F23C4CA4-A86F-44B4-9632-400B27F4A726.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	309354

Fine. OP outlined his delam issues and paid special attention to not storing in water for some reason.

So which is it? Are we all wiping down our skis with towels at the end of the day or are we blaming a world-renowned manufacturer for making shitty skis?

To each his own. Skis are a disposable item, especially on my home mountain. By year 3 they are beat to hell no matter if they are Volkls or K2s or how you store them.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    To each his own. Skis are a disposable item, especially on my home mountain. By year 3 they are beat to hell no matter if they are Volkls or K2s or how you store them.
    Doesn't K2 own Volkl?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The point that people should take care of their gear is valid IMO.
    Normally my skis are separated and hit a special dry rack, and when they are dry get strapped and moved to the storage rack.
    I normally don't wipe down unless I am waxing or it is Spring and the bases are holding pollen, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Doesn't K2 own Volkl?
    Same parrent company I believe.