women's touring skis - recommendation for wife?

Happy wife, happy life! I have a huge vested interest in this because when she has touring skis she likes we get to ski rad stuff together.

My wife really enjoys smearing turns on rocker-camber-rocker skis. She is small at 5'6 115lbs, but strong for her size - skis chutes glades technical etc. Really likes to be maneuverable and stay in control. Weight is not a huge issue.

Does anybody have any recommendations for skis here? Appreciate any help!

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    Happy wife, happy life! I have a huge vested interest in this because when she has touring skis she likes we get to ski rad stuff together.

My wife really enjoys smearing turns on rocker-camber-rocker skis. She is small at 5'6 115lbs, but strong for her size - skis chutes glades technical etc. Really likes to be maneuverable and stay in control. Weight is not a huge issue.

Does anybody have any recommendations for skis here? Appreciate any help!
    My Ex toured a pair of Jessie 108s in a 160ish and loved them. She was a similar size and liked the playfulness but the ability to still lay down a carve and put them on edge when needed. Not the lightest ski by any means but if weight isnt an issue theyre definitely worth a look.

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned4Days1 View Post
    My Ex toured a pair of Jessie 108s in a 160ish and loved them. She was a similar size and liked the playfulness but the ability to still lay down a carve and put them on edge when needed. Not the lightest ski by any means but if weight isnt an issue theyre definitely worth a look.

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Same — wife has the 108 + shifts for a travel/one ski quiver. They are heavy so if it’s mellow tours with <3k vert they work. Anything longer and the weight is prohibitive.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Moment Wildcat 108 tour in a 174 seems to check all the boxes. If heavier is OK then a QST 106, standard layup WC 108, Liberty Origin 106, SD 104, etc.......lot's in this cagetory. If looking for more on the techy, steep terrain then narrower would probably be preferred. More info on the specific terrain and snow conditions would probably help.

Navis Freebird 169 is the go-to for my lady crew

Went down this path....we went with a Praxis BC and she LOVES this ski (170).

My wife is 5’5” 118/120lbs

It’s also her travel ski.

I recommend that she demos some skis so that she can pick the skis SHE likes rather than you picking skis for her.
    There are dozens and dozens of skis that could potentially work for the criteria you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I recommend that she demos some skis so that she can pick the skis SHE likes rather than you picking skis for her.
    There are dozens and dozens of skis that could potentially work for the criteria you listed.
    This is the real answer — THE SKI SHE LIKES!

My wife has been touring for a long time and has had a number of rigs. Her current rig is 164 Voile Superchargers/Dynafit Speed Radicals and Salomon Explore boots. The total weight of this rig is a little under 14# and skis great. She is around 130. The skis come in either 154 or 164. The skis also come in a "Hyper" build and that reduces the weight by a pound or so. WTBS, this is pretty much a back country rig and maybe a bit too light for resort use. But for typical touring it is hard to beat.
    A short vid of some ski touring around Tahoe a couple of weeks ago with her on that rig.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsK8e4vfBR0

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Moment Wildcat 108 tour in a 174 seems to check all the boxes. If heavier is OK then a QST 106, standard layup WC 108, Liberty Origin 106, SD 104, etc.......lot's in this cagetory. If looking for more on the techy, steep terrain then narrower would probably be preferred. More info on the specific terrain and snow conditions would probably help.
    Can do the Moment Bella instead of the WC 108 Tour. There's only a 150 gram/ski penalty (about half of the WC108 vs. 108 tour). On paper, the bigger problem than the mass is not having the skin clip tail cutout. Still on paper as the skis haven't gotten used yet this year...

I sure have found a lot of the skis she *doesn't* like. Demo-ing is tough because the tech backcountry selections are pretty limited at the shops, usually just the soul 7 which she's tried and doesn't like. We need some fresh options to be on the lookout for.

Other skis she doesn't like:
    wayback 88s
    BD joules (green/orange 2015 version that's stiffer than the later pink/white versions)
    Rustler 10s

Huge fan of some of the rec's,
    moment bella
    praxis or voile (never even thought to look at those brands)
    navis freebird (she has some BC atris already on order)
    liberty origin (171 might be a little long for her)
    jesse 108 looks like a great pick

We're exclusively in the tahoe backcountry, so conditions are usually corn, warm pow developing a crust, and other unpleasant varieties of "variable". She likes to make lots of turns, even on the big open bowls. Something that works in tight glades and chutes will unlock what usually bottlenecks.

Alpenglow's Backcountry Demo Day is at Alpine Meadows this weekend - if you have a pass could be worth a try. Also, Alpenglow usually has a decent selection of demos mounted up with tech bindings if you haven't checked yet.

Regarding tail cut outs being a limiting factor (Bellas). G3 makes a twin tip connector for the tails of skins so it's a non-issue really.

in Tahoe.....talk to Keith at Praxis

Be safe out there.